Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by irish_mafia View Post
    Not really. Harper Woods has deteriorated significantly.
    True dat.

Ill take the Shores out of the three hands down, any day. Mayor Hison is a good guy. Gotta watch those coppers tho, they adore their speed traps, specially on the tiny part of I-94 in Macomb County that retains the Wayne County 55 mile per hour speed limit. They swarm that stretch like flies on shit.

What will Harper Woods look like if/when Eastland Center files for bankruptcy ? Think about that. Lakeside Mall just declared yesterday, and thats an actual functioning mall. Eastland is dysfunctional, at best.

Mauser- most of the crime in HW, is from Eastland. Retail fraud!

Mauser, ironically the place I see the most police pullovers of speeders [[on westbound I-94) is around 10 Mile. So the police are getting some really high speeders before the speed drops from 70 down to 55 at 9 1/2 Mile.

But on the eastbound direction... I see a lot of police parked under the 9 Mile I-94 bridge... catching them before the speed hits 70 MPH.

My elderly father recently passed away in the home he bought new in East Detroit [[now Eastpointe) after WWII. I escaped the homogenized town in my late teens. Too quiet. Too dull.
    As he aged, I was glad he lived in a quiet, dull place. He was safe, and he was comfortable in his quiet home.
    Neighborhood changed recently, with more car thefts, burglaries, and vandalism in a few months than he observed over decades in the past. His block of seventeen homes has three for sale. The block behind him had seven for sale last month. Asking price for one home is less than I paid for my last new car.
    The location served him well, but I worry about the future.

I would prefer St. Clair Shores as I remember it. Parents bought their house on Laing in 1956, dad died 1999, and mom 2004. I left for TN in '82, so the area has changed drastically. Never really liked East Detroit or Eastpointe - Harper Woods seemed like an extension of my part of Detroit. I remember when I was in scouts, trips to the police and fire departments of Harper Woods always made me think they were nicer than anyone else. Still preferred St. Clair Shores - had a friend who moved to a house north of 9 mile on Elaine.

East of I-94 still OK for the most part. West of 94...just an extension of Detroit...going downhill fast.

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    I would prefer St. Clair Shores as I remember it.
    Been living in SCS since 1990. The retail part of SCS has improved dramatically since I moved here. There used to be a lot of very old dumpy looking businesses around the city. Most have been torn down [[such as the party store at 10 Mile/Little Mack), and replaced by nicer retail.

Little Mack has improved dramatically, becoming a magnet for very attractive medical office buildings [[replacing deep lot residential properties along the west side of the street).

Unfortunately the residential FOR SALE signs [[that are found in all of SE Michigan cities) show up in abundance, as elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    True dat.

Ill take the Shores out of the three hands down, any day. Mayor Hison is a good guy.
    If by "good guy" you mean ineffectual middle manager from Detroit Diesel whose best contribution as a councilman was reporting uncovered dumpsters during council meetings and whose best contribution as a Mayor has been... ummm, can't think of anything. He is relatively honest, but not really an innovative or creative type leader.