Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Interested in Eastpointe? is there any divide lines like in Harper Woods this and that side of 94? Who has a better chance of making it Harper Woods or Eastpointe

Quote Originally Posted by 30th Street View Post
    Interested in Eastpointe? is there any divide lines like in Harper Woods this and that side of 94? Who has a better chance of making it Harper Woods or Eastpointe
    I would say Harper Woods because half the city has Grosse Pointe schools, and anyone with school aged childeren want the area with the better school system.

East Detroit Schools are getting pretty bad, there have been many kids caught bringing weapons into the high school the last few years. Most of the folks I know who have school aged kids don't feel comfortable sending them to E.D. High.

I grew up in Fraser and always found folks in the city to be rather pleasant. City services were impeccable. Our side street was always plowed of snow by 8am, and according to my dad, still is plowed before noon every time the snow falls. The Police in Fraser were great. Crime in the city was typically very low, so when you'd call them, for whatever reason, all 4 cars on patrol would show up in 5 minutes or less.

Back in 2005, I left the nest and moved to SCS. So far, over the past 3.5 years, I have really grown to appreciate the small town feel of SCS. My neighbors are all friendly. I like being able to walk to the many mom and pop ice cream shops on Harper during the summer [[currently lamenting the loss of Cool Breeze). The one time I had to call the police, they arrived in less than 5 minutes [[and I'm on the north side of the city). All in all, a nice place to live. My only gripe is the current influx of crime from Detroit on the south side of the Shores. I read the crime blotter in the SCS Sentinel newspaper every week, and it seems like there's always a robbery or assault or drunken driver from Detroit committing a crime in SCS.

As far as East Detroit and Harper Woods go, they are starting to see more urban decay. I watched over the years of picking up my sister from school, the area around Regina HS deteriorate, then listened to stories from friends' sisters who complained of cars being stolen out of the lot and some crazy guy running through the school. I was driving home from Ann Arbor one Fall afternoon in 2007 and decided to take a detour off 94, through downtown Detroit, and up Gratiot to get home. It had been some time since I traveled the southern end of Gratiot. Typically when you crossed the border into EastPointe, the scenery got better than what you saw in Detroit. On this occasion, the Scenery was better, but there were a lot of vagrants walking the streets [[and in the street). One scraggily looking guy was carrying on quite the conversation with himself in a parking lot. I think we are beginning to see not only the typical urban sprawl as people move north, but now we are seeing considerably more transient sprawl as well. People who, for whatever reason, are on the lower rung of society, and who typically would stay in certain areas of Detroit, are now starting to sprawl outward as well. You are seeing the degradation of whole areas that were once vibrant not too many years ago. As an example, look at south Warren, the 8 mile and Kelly area of Harper Woods, the 15 Mile and Gratiot\Harper side of Clinton Township and, increasingly areas of Roseville. Unfortunately, as this transient sprawl continues to move through the inner ring suburbs, it is only going to increase the urban sprawl northward as people would rather move away from the issue than figure out a way to solve it.

OK, maybe I jinxed myself when I said in an earlier post that the police show up when you dial 911. I wasn't speaking from first hand knowldge, just listening to what my neighbors said. BUT,THEY REALLY DO SHOW UP...only wish I didn't have to call. Yes, I finally have first hand experience. I went to the Tiger game on tuesday and when I got home someone had robbed me blind. I have all the safety features...metal doors, locked storm doors, deadbolt, locked windows, no bushes by the windows that can hide someone...everything I did was with safety in mind. Even tho' stuff like that won't happen to me! How very wrong I was. We left after the dismal display of 10 runs by the Yankees and pulled in the driveway. I knew something wasn't right when I saw the gate open. Dog = gate always closed! I walked up the driveway, saw the glass and ran back to the car. I yelled to my friend to call 911 and we drove several houses down and waited for the men in blue to arrive. 2 minutes later one car, one officer. Another minute, another 2 cars, 2 officers. They surrounded the house, searched outside and then inside and came back out and asked me to do a walk around with them inside. They were very kind, considerate, knowledgeable, and they arrived when I called. The millage is worth every penny. I love the Shores.

Wow, sorry about your losses Scotter.

Glad to hear about the fast work by SCS's finest though.

Thanks Detroitej72. I know the reality of the night still hasn't kicked in. I am now stuck with the daunting task of trying to figure out what is missing. I know my Mom's wedding ring and my Dad's WW2 Marine Corp ring but what abt all the baubles and jewels that were in the deep recesses of the armoire? I'll never remember all of it. My only suggestion to all the ladies on the forum...itemize your valuables and pay for the insurance rider. I didn't and am only going to get reimbursed $1k for jewelry. There were many priceless heirlooms that aren't replaceable but the $1k doesn't even begin to cover my loss of the other things. Sorry I wandered off subject!! I still love the Shores.

The Shores is nice. I used to love going to Jack's on the Waterfront [[have they reopened yet?), Fishbone's and Andiamo's.

Watch out for the Zass gas station on Harper, they're notorious for letting the pump go past the amount you paid for, then they'll call the police and report you as a drive off. It's a shame that the Shores Police have not put a stop to this.