Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I don't think it's so bad that The News reported this positive story [[or fluff piece, or whatever you prefer to call it). So much of the news around here is depressing anyways, who can blame them for printing a more uplifting article...especially about something going on in the city! Midtown may be the most unique area of Detroit....it certainly is amongst the areas with the move investment at the present time.

As for the large abandoned apartment buildings Quonset Hut spoke of, well, yes, there are some around. The difference is, that many of these actually have a chance of being renovated and reused, whereas in some other parts of Detroit, they simply rot till fire demolishes them or the wreckers come....because no one wants to live there any more. If affordable apartments are built in Midtown, whether it be new construction or renovations of historic buildings, I think the people will come. There are many examples of such recently renovated historic apartment/loft structures in Midtown today.... not so much in other areas of the city.

I'm looking forward to watching the development of the Garden Block take shape on Woodward. It is going to be a great mix of historic preservation, renovation, and new infill which will really be a positive addition to the Woodward Corridor. Now, if we could just tie in Midtown with Downtown along the west side of Woodward..... Those empty lots are great for seeing how far you can kick a soccer ball.....but not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Don't you understand? That development there isn't really happening. It's because Detroit is not what businessmen want! They want lots of parking! Big freeways! Huge parcels! Detroit is all burned down and the taxes have chased away all the business! Crime! Scary! How many times do we have to tell you: Detroit is hopeless!
    Ok we get it, you don't like Detroit. It sure would be nice if you people could hate Detroit in silence though, it's gotten really old. Bye now.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtown View Post
    Ok we get it, you don't like Detroit. It sure would be nice if you people could hate Detroit in silence though, it's gotten really old. Bye now.
    Once again, responding to a year old thread and not knowing sarcasm when you see it.......classy

Well, I usually try to alert to my sarcasm. On that one I really fell down.

But it is interesting that so many people feel that way that one would take it seriously...

"Ok we get it, you don't like Detroit. It sure would be nice if you people could hate Detroit in silence though, it's gotten really old. Bye now."

LOL are you high??

I was walking down Woodward in Midtown at 8:30 on a Tuesday night. There were not a lot of people out but I did notice one critical thing that I bet accounts for Midtown's relative success. During the span of my short three block walk, i saw 4 police cars drive by: 2 DMC police and 2 WSU police. That stands in marked contrast to the rest of the city where there seems to be no sign of law enforcment. Even though it was dark and the streets were empty, i felt comfortable because of that police presence.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2