Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sorry... You probably should have included "MCS" in that threads title...
    It slipped off my radar....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Sorry... You probably should have included "MCS" in that threads title...
    It slipped off my radar....
    sorry i figured i'd try to avoid controversy

Mcsdetroit.... after I read the thread, I noticed all the complaints about it... mostly related to the fact that Maroun wasn't mentioned. But I think that they did a rather sypathetic story on the MCS itself [[although about 1/3 of the photos could have been eliminated).

I also liked Preservation Wayne Executive Director Karen Nagher's comments.

I also enjoyed the fact it was a pretty fair and middle of the aisle article. Sure Maroun wasn't mentioned but I don't think it was necessary, they mentioned the facts of who, what, when, and why. I also liked her hope as well, lights and windows are my goal too...the article did garner quite a bit of interest, the website and subsequent facebook groups have shot up 900%+ percent over the last few days in terms of viewers and members. So hopefully it will gain interest by a company looking to move in.

Read the article, and it was pretty well done. But at the end where they said:

"But there is new hope that momentum is building for Michigan Central to become a hub for some government security functions, like the Detroit headquarters of the Michigan State Police, some state and federal Homeland Security offices and, given Detroit’s location close to the Canadian border, a center for trade inspections, Mr. Blashfield said."

Um, didn't we already go down that road with Kwame wanting to move the DPD headquarters there? [[I know this is the State police) Didn't Moroun already pitch the idea of a international trade processing center? If these ideas didn't work in the past decade, what makes them move viable now? Is there more information on these developments or is this article a little behind in the fact these ideas were already sifted through?

All I know is that CenTra is actively trying for some form of government entity to move in and the State Police do need a new forensic lab badly.

Quote Originally Posted by jjw View Post
    it ceased operations in 1988 and the detroit city council wants to tear it down. my question to tearing it down is "why???" i don't think detroit truly see the jewel that they have in this building.
    No, I think people DO see that it's a jewel of a building, but if they can't save a building that is much smaller/more feasible, with a much better location in the city's financial district that is in FAR better shape than MCS [[sorry, people, the Lafayette Building's basement was NOT flooded, contrary to what the city says), not to mention MCS isn't owned by the city like the Lafayette ...

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    No, I think people DO see that it's a jewel of a building,
    I think EVERYBODY in this city knows that the MCS is the crown jewel of ruins in not only Michigan, but possibly the entire country.

Someone tell me this......First, what would be a conservative bid to tear down MCS keeping in mind the building is structurally sound by many expert accounts? Hudson's cost about $7 million for asbestos removal and the demolition. Secondly, how much would it cost to say clean the facade, secure the building, and put windows and lighting on it?

Now I'm not sure but it seems that demolishing the building would cost more than the second option, plus we get to keep the building until it finds a purpose. Doesn't the city of Detroit have better things to spend that money on than demolishing a building? [[I know the plan is to bill Matty after the demolition but good luck with that) I don't understand the city's insisting upon demolishing it. There are a thousand buildings that are dilapidated and falling down all over the city that could be demolished with the money instead of one.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I think EVERYBODY in this city knows that the MCS is the crown jewel of ruins in not only Michigan, but possibly the entire country.

Someone tell me this......First, what would be a conservative bid to tear down MCS keeping in mind the building is structurally sound by many expert accounts? Hudson's cost about $7 million for asbestos removal and the demolition. Secondly, how much would it cost to say clean the facade, secure the building, and put windows and lighting on it?

Now I'm not sure but it seems that demolishing the building would cost more than the second option, plus we get to keep the building until it finds a purpose. Doesn't the city of Detroit have better things to spend that money on than demolishing a building? [[I know the plan is to bill Matty after the demolition but good luck with that) I don't understand the city's insisting upon demolishing it. There are a thousand buildings that are dilapidated and falling down all over the city that could be demolished with the money instead of one.
    The meeting I was at last month between city leaders, Maroun's people, my group, and another prominent Detroit group [[who's name escapes me at the moment) was very positive and the city leaders flat out told the room that they're not interested in tearing the building down because 1) they have more pressing concerns 2) the fact that CenTra/DIBC/ABC [[whatever) is actively searching for tenants/uses.

At another meeting I had with an EPA official in regards to the foul up last summer he told me flat out it would be more cost effective to keep the building than to tear it down, the costs would be very similar due to the fact that the structure is overbuilt by a factor of 10 and the amount of cleanup required for the job, or at least if the job was done correctly. He told me it's cheaper to cover up/paint over/board over asbestos than it is to have it disposed of.

I wonder if I will miss leaving from Dearborn Station when it gets obliterated and moved to the Henry Ford? I doubt it!

Quote Originally Posted by bsarabennett View Post
    I forgot to ask, does anyone have any more of the older pictures? I was wanting to do this art project... I'd love it if you would post them or contact me via email.
    ---
    Research the Wiki.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Central_Station

At the bottom is a large list of external links you can check out.

And possibly the best link of all.
    So good, I don't understand why it didn't feature on the wikipage....

....so I entered it.

One question. Is there a small garden maintained in the forecourt of the station??
    Last edited by Whitehouse; May-07-10 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    One question. Is there a small garden maintained in the forecourt of the station??
    Yes....that was started last year. How well it is being maintained, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Yes....that was started last year. How well it is being maintained, I don't know.
    Yeah actually that garden was put in around July 6th i think, the one positive thing from the Volunteer thing last year. DIBC last i knew sent in a person to water and pick out the trash every couple of days, I know it was something Mrs. Maroun adopted and so it has priority.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    Yeah actually that garden was put in around July 6th i think, the one positive thing from the Volunteer thing last year. DIBC last i knew sent in a person to water and pick out the trash every couple of days, I know it was something Mrs. Maroun adopted and so it has priority.
    Glad to read that. At least there is still some love going towards that building.

Speaking of the Michigan Central Station, Lincoln Park Preservation Alliance's Preservation Month celebration will highlight the Michigan Central Station. May is National Historic Preservation Month.

John Mohyi, Founder and President, Michigan Central Station Preservation Society, will talk on Detroit’s Michigan Central Station, its past and its future. Michigan Central Station Preservation Society is an organization, founded 2009, to preserve, protect and restore the Michigan Central Station [[MCS) in Detroit, Michigan as an historic landmark.

Mr. Mohyi will be the keynote speaker for Lincoln Park Preservation Alliance’s Preservation Month celebration. It will be Thursday, May 20, 2010, 7:30 pm, at the Ikaros Hall, 1677 Fort Street, Lincoln Park. Ikaros Hall is one block north of Southfield Road, between Arlington and O'Connor, next to Park Restaurant.

I see people working on that garden rather often. Makes for an interesting contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by lalynch View Post
    Speaking of the Michigan Central Station, Lincoln Park Preservation Alliance's Preservation Month celebration will highlight the Michigan Central Station. May is National Historic Preservation Month.

John Mohyi, Founder and President, Michigan Central Station Preservation Society, will talk on Detroit’s Michigan Central Station, its past and its future. Michigan Central Station Preservation Society is an organization, founded 2009, to preserve, protect and restore the Michigan Central Station [[MCS) in Detroit, Michigan as an historic landmark.

Mr. Mohyi will be the keynote speaker for Lincoln Park Preservation Alliance’s Preservation Month celebration. It will be Thursday, May 20, 2010, 7:30 pm, at the Ikaros Hall, 1677 Fort Street, Lincoln Park. Ikaros Hall is one block north of Southfield Road, between Arlington and O'Connor, next to Park Restaurant.
    I think a better location would have been a circustent, erected in front of the MCS, with the MCS illuminated with searchlights. I guess that would bring some curious people to the streets. Make a soft deal with the fire department.

Must be an awesome sight seeing the MCS lit up like that at night. You could in fact make that a permanent attraction if you can get a rig like that up within the peremiter fences, wiht permission of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    I think a better location would have been a circustent, erected in front of the MCS, with the MCS illuminated with searchlights. I guess that would bring some curious people to the streets. Make a soft deal with the fire department.

Must be an awesome sight seeing the MCS lit up like that at night. You could in fact make that a permanent attraction if you can get a rig like that up within the peremiter fences, wiht permission of course.
    We based out of Lincoln Park so we typically do events in Lincoln Park.
    We felt that the MCS was a good subject matter being that it is preservation month and that the building is a Detroit icon that many have memories of dropping off or picking up someone at the train station.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2