I just saw a news broadcast on Channel 7 about proposed urban farming in Detroit. Hantz Farms, a division of the Hantz Group, a financial service holding company based in Southfield, plans to buy, or get the City to donate, a minimum of 70 acres in clusters around the city to be used as farmland. The crops grown are not to be given away, but sold. The principal person spearheading this project is Matt Allen, former Press Secretary.

Being an active member of the Georgia Street Community Collective, which establishes and supports urban farming, on one hand I agree with this theory. But, I would rather see a growth in our type of farming where the vegetables are free to the neighborhood.

Also, this being a huge corporate entity, will they really care about the neighborhood? I can envision lot after lot fenced in for protection. Maybe even barbed wire on top? Armed guards? I don't see how a corporation such as this, that will be focused on increasing their profits, will be able to protect these crops.

Our neighborhood gardens don't suffer these problems because the items grown there are meant for the neighbors, not for sale.

I am just curious how others think. I have not made up my mind about this yet. I'm looking for viewpoints I might not be seeing, one way or the other.

How would you feel about a corporate farm on your block?