Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

[quote=Hermod;113608]Trotwood, go and live where you will be safe and happy. You do not owe Detropit anything and, should you go and live in Tahiti, neither do you owe Michigan or the US anything.

If a resident's presence in a government entity is a relative plus to that entity, it is incumbent on that entity to provide sufficient financial, security, and lifestyle benefits to that resident that he willingly absorbs the financial, security, and lifestyle costs of living in that entity. If his personal cost-benefit analysis computes to be adverse, he is well within his rights to "vote with his feet".[/quote

Hermod,once again I thank you for giving me a constructive&respectful response. I greatly appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Trotwood: I'll echo what some others have posted. Take a look at walkable, older inner-ring suburbs with their own business districts/downtowns... and then narrow those choices down to the ones that offer a high quality of life, low crime, and good city services.

I'm talking about Ferndale, Royal Oak, Huntington Woods, Berkley [[some of the best schools in the country), and Birmingham in Oakland County. Farmington too. To the west, Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, and Redford are viable. Downriver, Wyandotte... maybe Lincoln Park. Hamtramck is gritty but offers real diversity, flair, and nightlife.

To the east, I would recommend any of the Pointes, but my favorite is Grosse Pointe Park [[even the Cabbage Patch, the couple of streets closest to Detroit line, is appealing, and offers a look at what a lot of the old Detroit eastside was like before the deterioration). I wouldn't recommend anything in Macomb County [[I confess to an extreme anti-Macomb bias because of the corrupt power structure there), but if you MUST live there, St. Clair Shores would probably be the only choice.

There are some stand-alone communities that are worth considering [[part of the metro area but not really suburbs, per se). Plymouth is quaint and retains a small-town feel while offering good restaurants and a high quality of life. Northville... ehhh... it is nice, but unnecessarily "prettified" over the last two decades. Ann Arbor, being a college town, has a broad range of cultural activities, nightlife, and restaurants. Ypsilanti is often forgotten but there's a lot of untapped potential there, and it has a 19th/early 20th-century downtown that's fascinating architecturally as well as Depot Town.
    Thank you very much Fury for your time& the suggestions.
    As I've mentioned before I've had nothing but positive experiences when I've visited Hamtramck. You're right about it being gritty but there's a nice 'vibe' to that city.

Clarkston-Lake Orion. Quiet communities, good schools, parks, easy access to I-75.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5