Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    ... it is suburban political power western Michigan who now have all the political power, and who have pushed Detroit into a corner.
    Detroit has pushed itself into a corner. No one is going to feel sympathy for people who trash their city and themselves. Sorry.

As many others have said, leaving the state is the best option. But if you wish to remain in the metro area, honestly, the best area I would recommend would be in the Grosse Pointes - ideally the Woods. [[I used to live there).

Why the Pointes, and why specifically the Woods?

1) The Pointes because due to depressed property values, you are not likely to get a better bargain on housing prices there in the future than you can get right now. Then IF Michigan ever financially recovers, prices there have a better chance of rebounding more quickly and substantially then other areas.

2) The Woods specifically because of law enforcement and safety. In my own subjective opinion based on what I saw when I lived in the area, there is no greater or more responsive police presence in any Pointe than there is in the Woods. Of course, the Shores is another, but pricier, option. Either way, you are still conveniently close to the Interstate system, for quick access to work and shopping.

Ferndale, Ann Arbor, Royal Oak, or Pontiac would be my choices outside of Detroit.

if i had to move within michigan again, i think i'd be headed to the grand rapids area. i've lived for a considerable time in both GR and metro detroit [[as well as other places). i'd live in metro grand rapids anyday over metro detroit. the quality of live is superior in every way, with the exception of access to certain ethnic foods [[although GR certainly has populations of plenty of ethnicities) and that a lot of touring bands never stop in GR-but then again more and more are bypassing detroit these days... well, that and the snow, which other than shoveling isn't bad because the people and infrastructure in GR handle 6 inches of snow better than detroit handles 6 millimeters. the other benefit of life in GR is that it comes without the gigantic black cloud of negativity that has seeped into every corner of life here in SE michigan.

...touching on the Grand Rapids suggestion....if you want an "even less urban suburbia" you could go even a little further and go to the Muskegon area. Not sure what the job options would be there especially in today's economy, but in the 70s through 80s I had retired relatives who lived in that area and it suited them just fine. The [[literally) fresher air as well as the proximity to multiple state parks on the Lake Michigan beach would also provide a daily taste of "up north" vacation, year 'round, as well!

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    ...touching on the Grand Rapids suggestion....if you want an "even less urban suburbia" you could go even a little further and go to the Muskegon area. Not sure what the job options would be there especially in today's economy, but in the 70s through 80s I had retired relatives who lived in that area and it suited them just fine. The [[literally) fresher air as well as the proximity to multiple state parks on the Lake Michigan beach would also provide a daily taste of "up north" vacation, year 'round, as well!
    I don't think I've ever seen "fresher air" and Muskegon in the same sentence.
    North Muskegon and the Lake Michigan waterfront area are nice, but Muskegon and Muskegon Heights have crime, pollution and poverty levels that rival or surpass those in Detroit. I've heard that Muskegon was once the wealthiest [[Per capita) city in America, but the days of lumber riches and the later heavy industry are far behind it. There's really not much left.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen "fresher air" and Muskegon in the same sentence.
    North Muskegon and the Lake Michigan waterfront area are nice, but Muskegon and Muskegon Heights have crime, pollution and poverty levels that rival or surpass those in Detroit. I've heard that Muskegon was once the wealthiest [[Per capita) city in America, but the days of lumber riches and the later heavy industry are far behind it. There's really not much left.
    yeah, Muskegon proper is pretty much a dump, with all the undesirable things that detroit provides, with none of the benefits other than easy access to Lake MI.

THE TRANSPLANT SONG

by Da Yoopers

I was sitting in a Detroit bar this guy he says to me,
    You must be from Canada, Newfoundland, maybe.
    No, I said, you're slightly off, as I pointed with my beer,
    I'm from up above the mitten, this place over here.
    I still wear my swampers and I drive my beat up truck.
    I go up to Witch Lake every year to get my buck.
    When I get back to Detroit, all the guys they laugh at me.
    Two weeks at the deer camp and I'm speaking Yoopanese.

Chorus: I'm a Yooperman from Yooperland, you'll find us everywhere.
    I come here for the paychecks, but I miss that U.P. Air.
    I'm a Yooperman from Yooperland, I'm not down here by choice.
    My heart is back in Yooperland, but my ass is in Detroit.

My wife is from Mt. Clemens, she's a troll from down below.
    I dragged her up to Yooperland, she didn't want to go.
    But when she saw the colors and she smelled that U.P. Air,
    Now she wants to quit her job and go to live up there.
    I work hard for Henry Ford, I never miss a day.
    I don't like the city, but I sure don't mind the pay.
    My kids were born below the bridge, but their roots they can't forget.
    We head north to Yooperland every chance we get

Chorus: I'm a Yooperman from Yooperland, you'll find us everywhere.
    I come here for the paychecks, but I miss that U.P. Air.
    I'm a Yooperman from Yooperland, I'm not down here by choice.
    My heart is back in Yooperland, but my ass is in Detroit.

Hi Trotwood,
    Sometimes a person just burns out and you need to freshen your "roots" by moving. I certainly can understand that. If you move you will certainly be missed.

If you were not totally burned out by Detroit, another option might be to move into the midtown area of Detroit west of Wayne State. You have the Wayne State police in the area.

I wish Detroit was broken down into independent burroughs, each with their own budgets, police precincts and fire protection, so that I could say that not all of Detroit is the same, or not all Detroit has the same police response rate. I want to say that not all Detroit is the same. But in some ways it is, and some ways it is not.

As someone mentioned, you could move into Hamtramck. We have 55 policemen patrolling 2 square miles. They arrive to a call in about 3 minutes. I have seen it multiple times.

But if you are burnt out by urban living in general, there is nothing like a change of scene to freshen your roots.

Thanks RickBeall. You're very kind.
    I've had nothing but positive experiences in Hamtramck. I shop there on a regular basis and always encounter very friendly positive people. It's a great little town!

"First post on DetroitYes!

I just bought a house on Balfour St. in Oak Park in December, I'm digging it so far. I'm on the freeway in about 30 seconds at 696/Coolidge, I can run in the park system they built over/next to the freeway for a few miles miles [[out and back) without getting hit by a car, and it's in the Berkley district. I just wish the house fairy would pick mine up and toss it a couple hundred feet into Huntington Wood$."

Congrats. As a public service, it is my pleasure to inform you that your school district is in the middle of a $167 million dollar bond issue shit fight.

http://www.dailytribune.com/articles...0007393672.txt

Enjoy!

Retroit Guest

I'll tell you what cities you should consider: Allen Park, Auborn Hills, Berkley, Beverly Hills, Bingham Farms, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Center Line, Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Detroit, Eastpointe, Ecorse, Farmington, Farmington Hills, Ferndale, Flat Rock, Franklin Village, Fraser, Garden City, Grosse Ile, Grosse Pointe City, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Park, Grosse Pointe Shores, Grosse Pointe Woods, Hamtramck, Harper Woods, Hazel Park, Highland Park, Huntington Woods, Inkster, Lathrup Village, Lincoln Park, Livonia, Madison Heights, Melvindale, Mount Clements, Northville, Novi, Oak Park, Pleasnant Ridge, Redford, River Rouge, Riverview, Rochester, Rochester Hills, Rockwood, Roseville, Royal Oak, St. Clair Shores, Southfield, Southgate, Sterling Heights, Taylor, Troy, Utica, Warren, Waterford, Wayne, West Bloomfield, Westland, Woodhaven, Wyandotte.

Does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    As many others have said, leaving the state is the best option. But if you wish to remain in the metro area, honestly, the best area I would recommend would be in the Grosse Pointes - ideally the Woods. [[I used to live there).

Why the Pointes, and why specifically the Woods?

1) The Pointes because due to depressed property values, you are not likely to get a better bargain on housing prices there in the future than you can get right now. Then IF Michigan ever financially recovers, prices there have a better chance of rebounding more quickly and substantially then other areas.

2) The Woods specifically because of law enforcement and safety. In my own subjective opinion based on what I saw when I lived in the area, there is no greater or more responsive police presence in any Pointe than there is in the Woods. Of course, the Shores is another, but pricier, option. Either way, you are still conveniently close to the Interstate system, for quick access to work and shopping.

Farms is better

/just sayin

Route29 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Detroit has pushed itself into a corner. No one is going to feel sympathy for people who trash their city and themselves. Sorry.
    Why do you post here? No friends?

Quote Originally Posted by Route29 View Post
    No friends?
    All of his friends live in Detroit proper...

So yeah, you have it about right.

I am very happy where I live in Detroit. East English Village. Did live in Grosse Pointe Park for several years due to school issues. Very good community. Great services, great schools, great riverfront parks and marina. Very walkable. Nice neighbors. Good diversity. You can walk over and chat with the city manager, the police and firemen. Know most of them by name still.

Still am best friends with many of our old neighbors there. Of course, we only live a few miles away so staying in touch is quite easy.

All in all though, I am a city person. Do my part with volunteering to make this a better place. Know my neighbors here too.

Another thought if you like being near the water, New Baltimore and Algonac still retain somewhat of their old downtowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Another thought if you like being near the water, New Baltimore and Algonac still retain somewhat of their old downtowns.
    ??????
    There is no old downtown left in Algonac
    About 30 years ago, city planners had a strip mall with a big parking lot built on one side of M-29 and demolished all the old buildings along the waterfront.
    I gotta admit, the waterfront is scenic now, but there is no 'downtown feel'

New Baltimore and Marine City still have their downtowns, though.

Quote Originally Posted by detroittrader View Post
    First post on DetroitYes!

I just bought a house on Balfour St. in Oak Park in December, I'm digging it so far. I'm on the freeway in about 30 seconds at 696/Coolidge, I can run in the park system they built over/next to the freeway for a few miles miles [[out and back) without getting hit by a car, and it's in the Berkley district. I just wish the house fairy would pick mine up and toss it a couple hundred feet into Huntington Wood$.
    Not trying to be sarcastic, but why didn't you just move to Huntington Woods?

I like Southfield a lot. The fire and police response times are tops. There are walkable areas. North, west and south of the Civic Center there are nice neighborhoods and you can walk from there to the wonderful Library, swimming pool, golf course and all the functions at the Pavilion. There are restaurants down Evergreen less than a mile. It does depend on what you mean by 'walkable.' Most areas are safe, not all have sidewalks or destinations. I can walk around my area, it is perfectly safe from predators and harassers, but there are no particular destinations and no sidewalks.

Trotwood-- I feel your frustration. I surely don't understand the city/suburb debate. Since the majority of Detroit proper is a sprawling suburb, why not live somewhere where you get services for your tax money. Once you realize it is not fiscally wise to own a house in the city limits, the decision is easy. I admire and support the former suburbanites that move to the city and try to make it a better place. I was one. It's a lost cause in much of the city.

I choose to live in Redford Twp. I think it's one of the most central locales in the metro area. Half hour drive to A2, half hour to the far East Side, 15 minutes to Downtown. Lower property taxes, lower home and car insurance, no city income tax. Lots of dining and grocery options and I can walk to the party store without looking over my shoulder. Works for me. Very reminiscent of what Detroit neighborhoods used to be not that long ago.

All you suburb haters need to get some help. This REGION is more important than the C of D at this point and has been for a long time. Face the facts and you will feel much better about yourselves.
    Last edited by princealbert; January-23-10 at 12:44 PM.

Welcome to my Bloomfield Twp.Great police and fire.Good schools.Great subdivisions.Birmingham Farms,mine,is multi-ethnic kept up,taxes aren't too bad.E-Z to the freeways.No corruption,no bullshit.Housing prices didn't go to the floor,starting to come back.Check it out.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by princealbert View Post
    All you suburb haters need to get some help. This REGION is more important than the C of D at this point and has been for a long time. Face the facts and you will feel much better about yourselves.
    The city-haters also need to recognize that there is value in having a nice central city even if they don't choose to live there. There are good points to be made on both sides, but they get drowned out amidst all the inflammatory crap.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    The city-haters also need to recognize that there is value in having a nice central city even if they don't choose to live there. There are good points to be made on both sides, but they get drowned out amidst all the inflammatory crap.
    The center of the metropolitan area is not downtown Detroit; it's out by Southfield.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    The center of the metropolitan area is not downtown Detroit; it's out by Southfield.
    I'm aware of that. Nice factoid, but completely irrelevant to the post you quoted.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast