Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Martha jean has been a fixture in this city. We need her voice , her eloquence ,and her grace. A statue would be a great tribute to her and a reminder of our greatness as a city.
    rock on metaldoctor

Default Some background on the music industry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2PdsnJCuko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzRm4K7NZm0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1__zadGXR3A

Martha Jean "The Queen" Steinberg was a pioneer in the radio industry, and her extensive background knowledge and personal experience spoke a universal language simply communicating a sense of peace, love and belonging.

In these three videos you will experience a universal perspective.

Funny, the older black men in my neighborhood near W.Grand Blvd & Warren hated Martha! Every time a bonus check would come out from Chrysler, Fords etc. She would tell all the Ladies listening to her show to "get that money before your husbands blow it" I remember two fellas sitting on the porch next to me reffering to her as "Martha Jean the snitch bitch" while sipping thier gin.

Your friend must have been one of the fellas withholding funds from their wives and children... just to drink gin.

MetalDoctor
    I had no idea Bob Dylan got his recipe for rhythm from Sister Rosetta Tharpe!
    great conversation piece.

I want to thank everyone for their great responses. There were even people as far as Israel who know Martha Jean. There will be a larger update next week.

Default The Detroit News!!

http://detnews.com/article/20100306/METRO01/3060321/1408/local/Building-on-legacy-of-Martha-Jean--The-Queen-

Here is a news article on the Martha Jean "The Queen" memorial project.

i am from Los Angeles Ca, just really being introduced to such a legendary figure. its truely awesome to hear her positive influence in the community. I wish I would have had the opportunity, as well....

truth can hurt.....funny story

Martha Jean and my Grandmother were actually good friends. They were friends in Memphis before moving to Detroit inspite of the fact that my Grandmother was old enough to be her mother. Martha Jean was a firm believer in elevating the economic and social status of Black people. She is also an example of the pure opportunity that existed in Detroit for Blacks at that time. Detroit nurtured and created some of the most successful Blacks in the country and their presence is felt all around the world. The sad thing is, even though they were accepted with open arms elsewhere, they were often shunned in the Motorcity, but thats a story for another thread..lol

Quote Originally Posted by MetalDoctor View Post
    I want to thank everyone for their great responses. There were even people as far as Israel who know Martha Jean. There will be a larger update next week.

Imo that speaks volumes of who&what Martha Jean was: a wonderful force of love,truth,dignity,&grace!
    I look forward to the update Metal Doctor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2