I had this idea the last time I was on Belle Isle. I saw the abandon Detroit Boat Club and thought "what a beautiful building to just sit empty". So I did a little research and read that the boat club moved out in the mid-1990's, and there are no plans to raise the building or to renovate it.

Anyway, my idea was to turn the building into a place for shops,restaurants,Belle Isle information ect. The shops could offer picnic related goods, other shops could offer clothes and touristy items.

There could be two restaurants. One could be upscale and the other could be more moderately priced and family friendly menu. Both the restaurants could have outside eating and indoor eating.

- A mini-museum would be inside the building as well. The current "Belle Isle" exhibit at the Detroit historical museum would be permanently moved to this mini-museum. The exhibit would explain the History of Belle Isle, Future plans ect.

- The docks would be replaced with Trek deck. There would be an installation of new lights, railings, benches and a bait shop.

- A water taxi could run between Hart Plaza and this "Shoppes at the Detroit Boat Club"

Why a water taxi to Belle Isle?
- I bet many people would rather simply park downtown and take a boat over to the isle. With taking the boat over they would save gasoline and not have to worry about their automobile on the isle.

I know funding always is a key factor..... But Do you think this is a innovative idea of what to do with the Detroit Boat Club building?