Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Goggomobil: I recall it being "Cafe Chablis" in the 70's-80's

Wasn't this John Wayne's?

Default Other Bowling Alleys from the 40's, 50's, & 60's

Quote Originally Posted by stan300 View Post
    Green Lanes served no liquor or beer, only "pop". Cost to bowl a line [[game) was 30 cents, pinsetters got 10 cents a line. A couple of years later a line was 35 cents [[3 lines for a $1), pinsetters were raised to 12.5 cents a line.
    The West Side Courier paper sponsored a league at Halls Recreation located at W. Grand Blvd. & Michigan and published results of the competition weekly. I bowled for my dad's bar, Stempiens Sidestreet Lounge. The newspaper chose an All Star team every year & I was a member in 1955. We bowled a match against the professional Strohs Team which consisted of Billy "G" [[Golembieski), Joe Joseph, Hank Gniewick, Tony Lindeman, & Jack Nichols. We Lost [[ Badly ). Also, I was a member of the Teen Masters League along with future Hall of Famer Dave Soutar . About 3 or 4 blocks east of Livernois on Michigan was Alcona Recreation, St Hedwig Church had a bowling alley above the church, and there was a bowling alley on Michigan a couple of blocks east of Wyoming . Does anyone remember its name? In my travels around with my dad, I recall a bar that had 2 lanes in the basement and 1 on the main floor for pot games. I also bowled at Monte Carlo Lanes on Plymouth Road about a mile west of the American Motors Plant.Denny McLain, the Tiger pitcher bowled in my league the year he won 30 games. I recall that he was a 200 average bowler at that time.
    Last edited by stan300; June-01-10 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caspermi View Post
    BTW, anyone remember a barber shop on Michigan called Sgt. Russ?
    My dad used to get his hair cut there in the 70s, because "They have a female barber with big knockers, who rubs them against you when she cuts your hair."

He also told me that she sang in the Spike Jones band. Being a big Spike Jones fan, I had to check this out for myself. I was pleased to discover that the female barber had a scrapbook of photos taken from her Spike Jones days, and that she did possess a nice pair of knockers. Way to go, dad!

As of today, Stempien's is still open. My brother Ken is the third generation owner of the bar [[lounge). Our grandfather John was the 1st owner [[Stempien's Bar), followed by my dad Stan & my uncle Adam [[Stempien Bros. Bar), then by my dad alone [[Stempien's Sidestreet Lounge) and then my brother Ken. The bar has been in existence for nearly a century.
    I [[nickname Sonny), was born and raised in Detroit in 1938, attended Our Lady Queen of Angels church and grade school, University of Detroit High School and College, and moved to Ft. Lauderdale , FL in 1969. I have many memories of the Michigan/ Livernois area of the Westside of Detroit, including the bars, businesses, softball, bowling, schools, Boy's Club, etc. I plan on sharing my memories of my 30 early years with anyone interested.
    The business was started as a candy store in 1915, was then a patent medicine store [[ I believe it was the front for a blind-pig), and then a bar after prohibition. My earliest memories of the bar were when I was 3 or 4 yrs old when I would go next door to the bar to visit with my dziagia [[grandfather) John and bushia [[grandmother) Victoria. The lived in the back portion of the bar. Both passed away within 2 months of each other when I was in kindergarden. My dad Stan [[known as Stumps), who was a Detroit policeman and my Uncle Adam took over the bar and it became Stempien Bros Bar. The outside of the bar had large plate glass windows through which you could see the customers. I remember potted ferns visible at the windows which which were at the front of the building along Martin Ave. The bar itself ran along the Parkwood side. There were lots of deer heads and pheasant, etc taxidermist trophies along the backwall of the bar. The rest of the bar room had wooden chairs and tables sitting on the sawdust covered wooden floors. Air conditioning did not arrive for several years. On tap were Strohs and Goebel beers, 5 cents for a glass & 15 cents for a "Boomba", later .15 & .25. Shot and a beer was the drink of choice. Kesslers, rock & rye, blackberry brandy were some of the drinks I remember. I also remember the garage of the bar housed carrier pidgions on the top floor. More another time.

Default Dry Cleaners

My Father owned Alexander's Cleaner's at 6457 McGraw, two blocks west of Livernois. He opened his business after he was discharged from the U.S. Army and ran it until he died in 1977. We lived on 32nd Street then moved to Lonyo.
    It was very sad to witness Detroit's demise after the riots.

Quote Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
    Now we will go a bit north of Michigan Ave, over the freeway at McGraw and Central stands this formerly beautiful building that some a-hole painted and ran a dollar store there for less than a year. I was so upset when I saw them painting it. I cant remember the name of the place but it was another hall that I think had a bar. Im sure someone here will remember what it was.
    Attachment 4894
    Man, I feel your pain. I hate when they do that. In Victorian times, it was often done, but some beautiful brick was coming out of Detroit, esp. after WWI, so it became almost as desirable as stone.

Looking at the 1928 Polk Directory, 7700 McGraw was the Sterling Drug Co

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Golick View Post
    Stan 300,
    What was the name of the barber college near the Kramer theater? I got many a bad haircut there in my youth. Also, next to the Crystal theater there was a building with a huge animated marching neon drum majorette. What business went on in that building? To my six year old eyes, that was the coolest thing I had ever seen.
    Was it Burnstein's Dept. Store [[at 4835) next to the Crystal [[ at 4845)?

The old brick building with the ugly metal facade at 2820 Fifth was the garage for the Wagner Bakery. Sure is big and the brick is premium.

I remember, I think, a post office ? on 31st street set in form Michigan Ave. The memory is very fuzzy I was a little kid and remember passing it while walking done the alley. I know it was closed and abandoned. Older kids would throw rocks to try to hit the top windows out. It was a big building. Does anyone remember was it a post office or something else. It was torn down while I was still young.

Quote Originally Posted by 30th Street View Post
    I remember, I think, a post office ? on 31st street set in form Michigan Ave. The memory is very fuzzy I was a little kid and remember passing it while walking done the alley. I know it was closed and abandoned. Older kids would throw rocks to try to hit the top windows out. It was a big building. Does anyone remember was it a post office or something else. It was torn down while I was still young.
    The 31st street Station was at 3724 31st. St. The house next door is still there, though. There's a very cool house a bit down the street from there that has corner windows.
    Last edited by kathy2trips; July-07-10 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark jandryka View Post
    My Father owned Alexander's Cleaner's at 6457 McGraw, two blocks west of Livernois. He opened his business after he was discharged from the U.S. Army and ran it until he died in 1977. We lived on 32nd Street then moved to Lonyo.
    It was very sad to witness Detroit's demise after the riots.
    I remember visiting the cleaners a few times with my dad, but I didn't remember where it was. My dad & yours were friends and he would drop off dry cleaning and even bought clothes there if I remember correctly. This was probably in the mid 50s. The area has now become dangerous with gangs robbing people and and breaking into businesses.

Default dollar store on central and mcgraw

growing up I used to live on mcgraw and casper - that abandoned dollar store currently on the corner of mcgraw/central used to house two businesses in the 50's & 60's: a bar called Polka Inn and a drug store with a pharmacy [[the pharmacist was named Leo, if i remember correctly). When you walked into the drug store on the floor by the door were the daily newspapers for purchase. There was a long counter with a row of low white porcelin stools that we used to sit and twirl on to raise them up/down. The very back of the store is where Leo filled prescriptions.
    Polka Inn Bar only had one window with a neon "Polka Inn" sign on it. There was a screen door [[facing mcgraw) that the neighborhood kids would press their faces against to see if there dads were sitting at the bar [[and they usually were), but it was very dark inside and you usually had to yell out your dads name. It had a pool table in it and a dance area that they no longer used for dancing. Later the drug store was turned into a social club for albanian/romanian men, but that only lasted a few months. The bar later became john wayne bar and then the dollar store. It was a great neighborhood to grow up it!!!

Default Pulanski Bakery

Does anyone else remeber Pulanski's Bakery on Otis near Wesson? We lived accross the street and would go there every night to get fresh bread. I still recall the smell of fresh baked bread as it was taken from the ovens. This was back in the early 50's. It was a great time to be living in the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronjm23 View Post
    Does anyone else remeber Pulanski's Bakery on Otis near Wesson? We lived accross the street and would go there every night to get fresh bread. I still recall the smell of fresh baked bread as it was taken from the ovens. This was back in the early 50's. It was a great time to be living in the neighborhood.
    The bakery was owned by Eustace Polanski, We both bowled on my dad's bowling team [[Stempiens Sidestreet Lounge) in the West Side Courier league at Hall's Recreation on Michigan Ave & West Grand Blvd.in the mid 50's. I was 17 & the rest of the team were in their 40's. I remember stopping with my friends at the bakery when we were walking home from the ice skating rink at St. Hedwig in the early 50's. We would buy a loaf of the hot freshly baked bread and share it on our way back to the Michigan/Martin area. Sure tasted good in the freezing weather!

Quote Originally Posted by agirlintheD View Post
    Lol...we used to frequent Last Call [[Warrendale area) and it was next to The Hurry Inn....depending which way you came down Warren the signs were welcoming...HURRY INN, LAST CALL or LAST CALL, HURRY INN....such sweet, sweet memories
    I have been on Warren in the last six months, I seem to remember that both the Last Call Bar and the Hurry Inn are both still open.

Friday I went to Chick's and sadly the Tipperary Pub is still closed, but the banner still says 'Bar and Grill coming soon'.

The bakery was owned by Eustace Polanski, We both bowled on my dad's bowling team [[Stempiens Sidestreet Lounge) in the West Side Courier league at Hall's Recreation on Michigan Ave & West Grand Blvd.in the mid 50's. I was 17 & the rest of the team were in their 40's. I remember stopping with my friends at the bakery when we were walking home from the ice skating rink at St. Hedwig in the early 50's. We would buy a loaf of the hot freshly baked bread and share it on our way back to the Michigan/Martin area. Sure tasted good in the freezing weather!
    My husband grew up on Military near Otis at roughly the same time you did, Stan. He remembers going to that bakery and the baker would bake a loaf on request so they could take it home to their dad while it was still hot. He went to Catechism at Queen of Angels, and elementary school at Logan. The went to both St. Hedwig and Redeemer for mass.

Default Irenes Kress Lounge History

Here you go the history of the Kress lounge, yes the painting of the naked women over the middle of the bar was indeed Irene.

http://www.filmthreat.com/reviews/5588/

Irene worked for Sanders in the 1920s.

K. First of all, stan300~ I thoroughly enjoy your posts! You've got a sharp memory, my friend. I Just discovered this site and I lived at Casper and Wagner, across from Priest Elementary from 1966-1991 and just want to edit re: John Wayne Bldg. At one time the first bldg., which I think was the pharmacy prior, was a bicycle repair shop - Central Bike Shop. Also, there were SO many bars in that hood growing up. Was thinking a few that weren't mentioned: Blondie’s on Edsel Ford between Cecil and/or Chopin. It became a cool bar for a bit. Smokin Joes Cafe, which may have been one of the Spanish ones off of Panama. My boyfriend would like to add the BOAT BAR on the Avenue! Also, my dad [[r.i.p.) used to go to a bar that he called San Antones on the Avenue. He also frequented the Buckboard Lounge on Fort Street. Irene's Bar on Proctor and Wheeler was another cool little bar. It's now a dollar store. I DO remember Tip Top's [[which became a happening place) and Yak's Bar. I've been to most of the bars at least once. My absolute fav bar was Dare Bar on Proctor & McGraw ‘cept when Alan Manross got shot and killed in there one night around 1980 [[just minutes after I left)…very sad…. Close second - Aloha Lounge on Chopin [[pronounced ‘ch’Opin) and Wagner was another good one. Michael’s Bar on Martin by the Tastee Factory was a fav ‘cause I got to drink there when I was 15/16. LOL I remember skipping school from Chadsey and sitting across the street on ‘Duffy’s Porch’. Don’t know who Duffy was. And yes I did get jumped in the Munger-Chadsey tunnel and whopped her A**!

help does anyone remember the bar next to the 5th Wheel adult book store up near wyoming ..on michigan ave ......I'm having a huge Brainfart....I can throw out names like crazy in my old hood ...but this one is killing me

help does anyone remember the bar next to the 5th Wheel adult book store up near wyoming ..on michigan ave ......I'm having a huge Brainfart....I can throw out names like crazy in my old hood ...but this one is killing me

e-mail me here if you get it
    MicplforYOU@aol.com

xoxoxoxo
    Linda

The DeSoto lounge. Named after the factory.

Stempien's Lounge will officially close tomorrow after almost a century at the same location. Sad times for Ken and the rest of the Stempien family. The bar lasted thru 3 generations in the family.

Stempien's Lounge will officially close tomorrow after almost a century at the same location. Sad times for Ken and the rest of the Stempien family. The bar lasted thru 3 generations in the family.
    Stan,

What happened? Last time I was there about a year ago all seemed well. There was a growing Latino customer base.

Very sad.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast