Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Himelhoch's

Default www.himelhochs.com website

Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    Nice ad and fashion drawings!! Mom shopped there - dragged me thru the place many times in the 1950s - remembering the elegant clothes, beautiful shoes. So nice to see the family survived, and Ms. Himelhoch is doing a website -- important part of Michigan history! Thank you for sharing
    Thank you for your kind words! I'm really happy to know that folks outside our family are enjoying learning more about the history of the store.

Does anyone know if they're redeveloping the inside? There's barrier gates on the Woodward entrance and looks like work being done inside.

Designed by Donaldson & Meier for Col Frank J. Hecker.
    Washington Arcade Building, 1545 Woodward Avenue built 1901-1902 Lower Woodward Historic District, Detroit, MI. Includes an image of the building from the archives of the Library of Congress, date unknown.

Builder: Vinton Company
    The first and second story façade was remodeled when Himelhoch's took over the building sometime around 1923.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by p69rrh51; October-15-18 at 10:56 PM.

Designed by Donaldson & Meier for Col. Frank J. Hecker.
    Washington Arcade Building 1540 Washington Boulevard built 1901-1902 Lower Woodward Historic District Detroit, MI. Includes an image of the building from the Library of Congress, circa 1920.

Currently Himelhoch Apartments.
    1946 remuddle of the first and second story facade designed by Victor Gruen.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by p69rrh51; October-15-18 at 10:56 PM.

If that abortion 'remuddle' is a slap on like many of them were, it should be removed and the original restored.

Default Remuddle

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    If that abortion 'remuddle' is a slap on like many of them were, it should be removed and the original restored.
    I share your preference for the original design of the building.

Default Woodward Avenue Storefront

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Designed by Donaldson & Meier for Col Frank J. Hecker.
    Washington Arcade Building, 1545 Woodward Avenue built 1901-1902 Lower Woodward Historic District, Detroit, MI. Includes a
    n image of the building from the archives of the Library of Congress, date unknown.

The first and second story façade was remodeled when Himelhoch's took over the building sometime around 1923.
    Great find from the Library of Congress! I do like the enhancements to the Woodward Avenue storefront, made by Albert Kahn.

I don't mind the remuddle. There's been doozies for sure, but Himelhoch's doesn't look bad as it stands.

Ms. Himelhoch, question.

Do you know what each floor was used for at the downtown location? Have you a directory?

Quote Originally Posted by chimelhoch View Post
    Great find from the Library of Congress! I do like the enhancements to the Woodward Avenue storefront, made by Albert Kahn.
    One of the few times I find Kahn's design a bad remuddle. I much prefer the original D&M design.

The current redesign is not that bad, as compared to other building "remuddles"... but in this case the original was so much better... really loved the ornate arched entrance.

I never had reason to shop here when the building was Himelhoch's... but at a later date I always loved the sealed off window room displays on the Washington Blvd. facade. Those candles that melted in the summer sun and bent over [[looked like rubber) onto the table were a hoot!
    Last edited by Gistok; October-16-18 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    The 1946 facade has its own significance, since it was designed by Victor Gruen. Gruen went on to design Northland, Eastland, and a bunch of other shopping malls nationwide. Given recent trends, this might soon be his only work left in Detroit.

Default Floors

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Ms. Himelhoch, question.

Do you know what each floor was used for at the downtown location? Have you a directory?
    Please call me Carol. I distinctly remember that the 7th floor [[top floor) was office space. I will see my dad today and ask him about the others before I venture a guess. He is 99, and it will be interesting to see how much detail he remembers. Stay tuned.....

Please call me Carol. I distinctly remember that the 7th floor [[top floor) was office space. I will see my dad today and ask him about the others before I venture a guess. He is 99, and it will be interesting to see how much detail he remembers. Stay tuned.....
    Thanks Carol! Sorry, if I offended.

It appeared to be such a massive store just for women that I'm curious to know. Boyds Philadelphia reminds me of what Himehoch's probably was.

I can't remember what floor I worked on ... seem to recall it was the fifth. It was all work space where we unpacked boxes and hung clothes on racks or stacked them on carts to be taken to the sales floors.

Carol, I have fond memories of shopping at Himelhoch's. Or should I say going to the store to buy a dress with my mother. Fond memories.

Default Floors and their use - Himelhoch's Detroit

Thanks Carol! Sorry, if I offended.

It appeared to be such a massive store just for women that I'm curious to know. Boyds Philadelphia reminds me of what Himehoch's probably was.
    No offense at all! I just wanted to extend some informality.

Okay - I just spoke with my dad. At age 99 his memory is not what it used to be. However, I was able to learn the following from him:

Street Level - Toiletries, accessories, handkerchiefs, hosiery. Non-clothing items.

Floor 2 - Coats, Fur salon.

Floor 3 - Better Dresses, Millenary, Handbags, Shoes.

Floor 4 - Dresses, Bridal Salon

Floor 5 - Beach and Play Clothes [[what we would associate with casual dress today).

Floors 6 and 7 - Offices and work space for employees.

I'm thrilled that you asked this question. I'm going to create a more permanent record of this by entering it onto the website [[the one I recently created with family history listed earlier in this thread - www.himelhochs.com). I think I will place it on the second page of the website.

Thank you!

Thank you, Carolcb! So great to hear.

Hi Meddle,
    I'm guessing it was the sixth floor, based on what I just learned from my dad. I know that the executive offices were on the 7th floor. My dad said that the 6th floor was not used as selling space, and there certainly was a need for unpacking boxes, tagging merchandise, and the like. Does that make sense?

I’d have to ask, but I seem to remember a cousin who worked in the cash office as a teen, taking customer’s payments on their accounts. This would be back in the 1970s.

I love retail, Carol, so maybe one more if you know...

Did Himelhoch's have a house brand or did it sell designer clothes? Both?

Default Private Label and Designer Brands

I love retail, Carol, so maybe one more if you know...

Did Himelhoch's have a house brand or did it sell designer clothes? Both?
    Hi Dtwoncitylover,
    We offered both and with great frequency. There were many items sold with "Himelhoch's" labels inside [[i.e., coats and furs come to mind). However, we also offered many designer items as well.

dtowncitylover, did you ever or do you currently work in retail?

dtowncitylover, did you ever or do you currently work in retail?
    Only seasonally in college. I have a interest in downtown's retail scene, historic and nascent. I always dream[[ed) of opening a store like Himelhoch's or Capper & Capper.

I sure can appreciate your interest. It's a tough business in many respects [[if merchandise doesn't sell quickly it becomes a bad investment). However, it's super exciting because one can see the strategy play out on the sales floor. It's fun to watch customers interact with merchandise.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast