Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1966 Riot

Nobody seems to remember the guy who was killed by a mob in the Fenkell Riots but I do, because he had such an odd name: Marian Pschyo. He was a Polish immigrant/pot washer at Sanders, yanked from his car beaten to death by a mob on Livernois in response to the Bob Bolton's incident. I don't suppose there will ever be a a memorial plaque for him.

you're right Barnes ... except you have the spelling a bit off, Marian Pyszko,

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...917662,00.html

In one episode, a group of black youths stopped a car at random, pulled out Marian Pyszko, a candy-factory worker on his way home, and bludgeoned him with a piece of concrete. Pyszko, 54, a Nazi concentration-camp survivor who emigrated from Poland in 1958, died three days later.
    As a side note, one of the guys who was charged, but acquitted of the Pyszko murder went on to co-found the infamous Young Boys Incorporated.

Raymond Peoples, that's the guy's name. Three trials, two hung juries, and then all the witnesses developed amnesia. I believe Ken Cockrell Sr. and Bill Goodman were his lawyers.

In 66 riot in Detroit, but a 67' riot did happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    In 66 riot in Detroit, but a 67' riot did happen.
    Huh???????

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

As a side note, one of the guys who was charged, but acquitted of the Pyszko murder went on to co-found the infamous Young Boys Incorporated.
    Very interesting, had never heard this before.

Maybe some vigilante will yet give Raymond Peoples his just dessert.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean2026 View Post
    Maybe some vigilante will yet give Raymond Peoples his just dessert.
    Raymond Peoples was murdered back in the 80's. Those streets can be murder

I worked at a grocery store on the corner of Clarita and Bentler from 1974 to 1980. Marian Pyszko lived in the house next to it. I remember that tragedy. Last summer, I passed down Clarita, and the former store is in such a state of distemper that a tree is growing out of it.

Anyhow, I am a former lurker who feels like adding some insight. Hi to all.

If I remember correctly, Mayor Coleman Young played an instrumental role in quelling any violence after the Bolton Bar incident, even going to the site and personally addressing the growing crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

The city should build a large monument to this poor, innocent victim who, incidentally, survived a Nazi Concentration Camp, only to be killed by a bunch of ghetto thugs. Instead, Young worries more about the bar owner's bail, calling it "ridiculously low" and more concerned with the death of a criminal.

He was my grandfather that I never met! Cause of that jerk!!

Marian Pyszko was my grandfather that I never meet. Goes and fights for his country over there and lives.Comes to America and get's killed.

Saranai -

Welcome to the forum, I would guess you found this place via a google search of your grandfather's name. I am sorry for your loss and how it has weighed heavy on your family.

Can you tell us how your grandfather's murder effected your family? Did you leave the City? If so, how soon after the murder? Also, you said, "Goes and fights for his country over there and lives.Comes to America and get's killed."

What do you mean by that? When I read the original newspaper reports, I assumed your grandfather was jewish as it mentioned his time in a Nazi Concentration Camp. But your statement leads to a different conclusion.

It suggests he was a soldier, was captured, and then sent to a Concentration Camp. Is that correct? Or was he in a P.O.W. camp? Or was he a partisan fighter who was captured?

Forgive me if my questions are too prying, I do not mean to invade your privacy, but I am curious.

Too often we don't consider how the murder of a family member can reverberate for decades through a family. I effects every holiday, every passing birthday, and in some ways becomes year zero for people. Everything is marked by "...that was two years before..." or "...that was four years after ...".

The hundreds of murders that happen here every year are like stones thrown in a still pond. The ripples spread out and crash into each other, blend and wash and expand out for years and years. Your posts speak to the hurt that stays fresh despite the passage of time.

That is why I think there is no such thing as closure. Hurt never heals. It gives and gives until that ache becomes known. It becomes a part of you. It is a scar, a jagged keloid on ridged memory that can never be made supple again.

The large, empty lot at Kercheval and McClellan- was it destroyed during the disturbance in 66 or the riot in 67? It appears that there was once an alley near the corner that ran through it. And why did Parkview not go through to Kercheval? I think there was a supermarket there, right? And why, if the A&P was at St Paul and Jefferson- the neighborhood was composed of close homes with no driveways, but can't imagine it being that tightly populated even in its developmental years? And also, where was the hardware store and the Detroit Bank & Trust- in that block or another?
    Side note- [[must read- Nancy Milio's 9226 Kercheval- about the Visiting Nurse Association and the Mom and Tots Day Care) that provided educational and health services for young women in the area and thrived until at least the 90s. When I worked at Staples I met a young lady coworker who was a day care student there. The site is now a barber shop and social club.
    Is the Woodward Plan so rooted in our history that we cant develop east-west instead of north-south? I would think linking the area from Warehouse District/ML King/Cemeteries/Eastern Market west to the Chrysler Plant/SE High/Marina area/Roostertail/Water Works Park would be ripe for historic restoration/infill, etc. The Farmer Jack that closed seems to be millions put in an area without thinking of the future. I know the riots had major impact in the area according to maps, and later the Errol Flynns corrupted the area with heroin before the 80s cocaine epidemic, yet according to the freep a black investor owns a lot of the vacant lots. It never was claimed to be a new Hastings nor an African Town- was the area just looted and abandoned?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2