Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Besides the SS Kresge store on the corner of Livernois and 7 mile [[which was my main hangout) there was also a Monroes Record store on Livernois between 7 mile and Clarita. Right next to Kresge was a hockey/skating store I think was named Olympic's? Also, the Avenue of Fashion extended a few blocks on 7 mile to the west, as B. Siegel was on 7 mile, along with a grocery store I think was called Super Sol, a restaurant called Captain "something"; Ann Sayles Tea Room; Sanders on the corner of 7 mile and Santa Rosa.

stingbeelee...the restaurant on 7 Mile was "Captain's Table" or maybe "Skipper's Table". I remember it was an all-u-can eat smorgasbord in the 60s. My family used to go there for Sunday dinner about once a month and it was always something my brothers and I looked forward to. I remember they had great fried chicken.

Gary - Oh yeah! I think it was called Skippers Table with a big sign of a "captain" turning a wheel on a ship. I think we only went there once or twice in my life, as my parents thought it was too expensive. I can remember every Sunday, as we went to the Detroit News site to pick up our papers to deliver, my friend and I would stop at the back of Ann Sayles Tea Room and the ladies would treat us to Ice Cream if the boss wasn't in the back.
    There was also a little drug store called "Allen's"? which was sort of like a drug/soap/makeup place on Livernois.

I love the way this area of Livernois looks and feels. I always thought it would be a great place for bars and coffee shops and the like. The area is sort of in a limbo, threats include loss of historic retail strips for strip malls with parking in the front, fire, and the like. Although the area still has some interesting things to offer. Such as Simply Casual which is a very nice high end clothing store, as well as 1917 American Bistro which is a quite pleasant new establishment on Livernois, good prices, great food, but no alcohol yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 6nois View Post
    I love the way this area of Livernois looks and feels. I always thought it would be a great place for bars and coffee shops and the like. The area is sort of in a limbo, threats include loss of historic retail strips for strip malls with parking in the front, fire, and the like. Although the area still has some interesting things to offer. Such as Simply Casual which is a very nice high end clothing store, as well as 1917 American Bistro which is a quite pleasant new establishment on Livernois, good prices, great food, but no alcohol yet.
    I hope like hell the city leaders and planners don't raze the area in leau of a strip malls. That would be the most stupidass idea any mayor or leaders could come up with and implement. The area has great potentails.The only thing the area need is better retail and boutiques. It has the potential to compete against Old Woodward in Birmingham, The Village in Grosse Pointe, Main Street in Royal Oak, and retail strips in other communities. Mayor Kilpatrick had inserted that grassy median on Livernois for he had no sense of community.No sense of retail nor economics. He was the most immature inexperience person that was selected for the seat

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    There was a shop called " The Good Housekeeping Shop " for vacuums and other small appliances.
    I think there was a chain of those "Good Housekeeping" places in the city. I remember one on the east side.

I really don't think a median does anything harmful, it wasn't necessary, but it isn't harmful. Rodeo Drive has a median!

I actually like the median. I feel that it makes the street much more comfortable for pedestrians, than before when it was a seven lane road. I do feel that it could have been done in a slightly more beautiful way but that can always be fixed with landscaping. I also feel that the median has slowed down traffic on Livernois from when I first moved to the area before the median was in place.

I am much more concerned about occupancy and preservation of what is there. I also feel that getting residents of Green Acres, Sherwood Forest, and the University District to walk and use the shopping a stones throw away could greatly improve the quality of the Ave. of Fashion.

It was quite nice in it's hey day, there were two art galleries [[one still holding on) on several clothing boutiques, a Good Housekeeping store [[I think it is still there), a wonderful florist called Terry's Enchanted Gardens, Motown Photography [[recently succumb to a fire) at least two dry cleaners, about 3 small store front specialty carry out food spots, a small coffee house [[name escapes me now) and a designer shoe store... and a two beauty supply stores and a about four hair salons... etc.

That silly median going down the street has made if difficult to maneuver, it was installed in 2007 or so... Bad idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosa View Post
    When I went to U of D in the 80s, there was still one formerly posh store holding on. I believe it was on 7 Mile just west of Livernois. Might have been a B. Siegel, but I'm not sure. The one time I went inside, it looked like it hadn't been updated since the 60s. It closed a few years later.

Aside from Baker's, a nice bakery and a florist which were still open then, I don't remember anything but the usual beauty schools and wig stores on that strip.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-22-10 at 02:02 AM.

I'm in the area alot, having friends in the Green Acres and Sherwood Forest area, and have fam off Curtis. That median thing came about 2006 or so... it makes it hard to park and make turns... somewhat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I remember that at one time it was pretty nice. I won't say exclusive or like Rodeo Drive, but nice. Boutiques and such. You might find something in the newspaper archives from the 60s and 70s or the magazines that came in the Sunday papers, what was it ... Parade? I seem to remember some articles on the area.

I don't remember a median, but I don't think I was ever there after the mid 80s.

Wow-wee thanks for the list. I'd forgotten the Cunninghams and the jewelers that use to be there......
    Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    The heyday of the Avenue of fashion was in the 1940' to right after 1967 and the opening of Somerset mall. Some stores were upscale with some having exclusive label designer clothes. it basically started at Curtis with Detroit Bank and Trust and ended at Robin Hood Grill and LaSalle jewelers north of Outer Drive close to Eight Mile.

Some original stores were;

B. Siegal
    Cardinal's
    Rose Alkon
    Greenstone Jewelers
    Belle Jacob
    Cunningham's drugs
    Marty Fuerst shoes
    Hansel and Gretel shoes
    Ranier Pastry
    Sherwood Studios
    American saving & loan
    Sidney Crandell jeweler's
    Little pancake house
    Robin Hood Grill
    Lasalle wholesale and jewelry

And many others that perhaps some DYesers can remember.

The used car lots started in earnest South of U of D.

I had good friends who lived in Sherwood Forest almost within sight of the "Avenue of Fashion, which was declining pretty badly by then [[the mid to late '70s). Whenever we would come to the area my mother always talked about going there with a friend who went to U of D back in the late '40s and how glamorous and suburban it felt to a girl like her from down on the westside near Trumbull. She couldn't afford anything in the stores there then, but it was exciting to look.

One thing that amused us '70s teenagers no end back then was the big sign that stood on 7 Mile just west of Livernois, apparently erected for some disappeared pharmacy, that read "PHONE DON FOR DRUGS."

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Wow-wee thanks for the list. I'd forgotten the Cunninghams and the jewelers that use to be there......
    Is the Cunningham building still there? What is it being used for? I think the median should have more turning points between the ones that are far and few between. Does anyone has photos of the area in it's heyday? The area has a couple of decent parking lots so the avenue shouldn't be torn down a made into a strip mall like avenue. That will take away for the nostalgic look of the area not leaving room for creativity. Detroit is dubbed the "FATTEST CITY in AMERICA". Let us increase areas of walkabity while shopping. Leave the car at home or in one spot. Walk and lose weight.

I still remembered an applaince store which had the world "Sony" going across the electronic display at the top of the building. Maybe it was 7mile rd and the John C Lodge service drive. It was there in the 1980s.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I had good friends who lived in Sherwood Forest almost within sight of the "Avenue of Fashion, which was declining pretty badly by then [[the mid to late '70s). Whenever we would come to the area my mother always talked about going there with a friend who went to U of D back in the late '40s and how glamorous and suburban it felt to a girl like her from down on the westside near Trumbull. She couldn't afford anything in the stores there then, but it was exciting to look.

One thing that amused us '70s teenagers no end back then was the big sign that stood on 7 Mile just west of Livernois, apparently erected for some disappeared pharmacy, that read "PHONE DON FOR DRUGS."
    That was Don's Drug Store, the store and that sign were there for decades. The store was a fixture in the community.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    That sign was still there well into the 80s; we used to get a laugh out of it as well. I take it the sign is gone now?

Oh, and for the record, Houston has been the fattest city for 3 years running, according to Men's Fitness. We are third, after Chicago.

Cunninghams drug store building is still there on the south west corner of 7 & Livernois. It is painted gray now but still has the distinctive architecture. Cunninghams, I believe, was bought out by Revco which lasted for a while and then became a beauty supply house.
    I have searched in vain for pictures of the area during the 40's to the 60's but cannot find one.

The building where Cunningham's was is now closed, it was a beauty supply store; I think all of the buildings between Cunningham's and B. Siegels are all closed. There may be a church in the old Kresge building. The "phone Don for drugs" sign was there until about three years ago, and the place is now burned out; which is strange as they had a booming business.
    I think the "SONY" building was on eight mile road near the intersection of 8 mile and Hubbel. Everyone I know in the neighborhood hates the median, I mean absolutely hate the median.

I need to drive down Livernois someday soon. I barely remember a median a few years ago. I remember the area fairly well in the early 1980's. it was already pretty crappy then. Did the median improve business at all? They are intended to bring some aesthetics into urban and suburban areas by creating a green strip with trees and grass and soemtimes even bike lanes and such. But they sometimes hurt business, sometimes help business. There is a plan to build a median on Southfield close to my house now someday, it has been talked about for seven years and still hasn't even started to happen. I would like to see it personally.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Did the median improve business at all? They are intended to bring some aesthetics into urban and suburban areas by creating a green strip with trees and grass and soemtimes even bike lanes and such. But they sometimes hurt business, sometimes help business.
    No trees, no bike lanes, some grass, but it's patchy. I don't find the median very attractive as these things go, but it's marginally better-looking than the ancient busted-up concrete ones on 12 Mile near Mound and Van Dyke, so I guess that's something. Bike lanes would have been a great idea, but IMO they work better between the curb and the sidewalk than in the middle of the street. As far as its effect on the businesses, I believe the construction itself took a toll on a lot of them, and some near major intersections lost some on-street parking [[I seem to remember Baker's complaining about this). Also, the median has made left turns much less convenient, so that has likely had something of a negative effect by making it harder for people to stop at businesses on the opposite side of the street. I think it has slowed down traffic some, since it generally moves faster south of Grand River where there isn't a median.

Default More stores

I lived on Cambridge in Sherwood Forest from 1951 til 1976. Great dinners at Billy's Delicatesen. The Red Wings got their supplies from Olympic Sporting Goods. I got my hair cut at Six Barbers. And when we got out of Hampton at 3:15, a favorite store at Curtis [[I think) and Livernois was Kaye's. Nutty doughnut and a Coke sitting on the stools at the counter at Cunningham's. My first savings account at American Savings on the corner of 7 Mile and Livernois. You could get anything at Kresge's. Also remember a neat little restaurant called S & G. Oh, also a great hardware store called Black's. Great days! Super neighborhood!!

The restaurant was S&C [[Sutton and Clements) right next door to Doubleday Book Store.

I think that a nice Starbucks should open in the area. Somewhere on Livernois between 7mile and Outer Drive. Speaking of Curtis street. I also remember when Curtis/Wyoming was once a thriving little strip.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I think that a nice Starbucks should open in the area. Somewhere on Livernois between 7mile and Outer Drive. Speaking of Curtis street. I also remember when Curtis/Wyoming was once a thriving little strip.
    lol. I think that's one of the steps of the gentrification of a neighborhood in the book "Stuff White People Like". But the step before is the opening of a independant cafe.

Hah! I prefer to walk at the gym... I am one of those folks that parks as close to the door of the building as possible. The Cunningham has been gone for 30+ years I believe...
    Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Is the Cunningham building still there? What is it being used for? I think the median should have more turning points between the ones that are far and few between. Does anyone has photos of the area in it's heyday? The area has a couple of decent parking lots so the avenue shouldn't be torn down a made into a strip mall like avenue. That will take away for the nostalgic look of the area not leaving room for creativity. Detroit is dubbed the "FATTEST CITY in AMERICA". Let us increase areas of walkabity while shopping. Leave the car at home or in one spot. Walk and lose weight.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast