Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I am going down for the opening today where is the best place to park?

Quote Originally Posted by dexterferry View Post
    detmich: it's pretty darn pristine compared to how it was for years before this renovation. did you ever see the cut then?
    Very very true. And the graffiti on the walls was there long before the bike path and lighting was. I don't understand how somebody thinks the art on the walls doesn't add character? It's such a better and more interesting place than it would be if all the walls were bleached concrete... It would be so sterile. I love it the way it is and wish they encouraged it to evolve. I can promise the artists will still hit the walls, legal or not.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GREENTROIT View Post
    Very very true. And the graffiti on the walls was there long before the bike path and lighting was. I don't understand how somebody thinks the art on the walls doesn't add character? It's such a better and more interesting place than it would be if all the walls were bleached concrete... It would be so sterile. I love it the way it is and wish they encouraged it to evolve. I can promise the artists will still hit the walls, legal or not.
    THIS.

they will most likely continue, though I know the guards posted [[when they are actually there and on duty) have been harrassing the writers. for some reason they think there will be physical violence, but that's not what they are about.

I remember when I lived in Lafayette towers, I saw the cut for the first time and when I went down there a kid was doing a full-on cityscape probably a good 10 feet long... it was amazing. Who wouldn't find enjoyment of watching artists paint while they strolled casually through the cut?

detmich Guest

You guys have been in this abusive relationship called "living in Detroit" for too long.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by detmich View Post
    You guys have been in this abusive relationship called "living in Detroit" for too long.
    lol. i think you might like the bike path at Kensington better.

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detmich View Post
    or possibly suffering from the stockholm[[detroit) syndrome
    Last edited by gravitymachine; May-14-09 at 09:27 AM.

Soooo did anybody go to the "Grand Opening?" I have a day job so was a no-show...

Designguy, I just bought a bike and I live in the new center and I'll ride with you any day of the week. I practically haven't been off the thing since I got it!

That would be awsome ruxy17 I'd be down for that! I am moving to E. Ferry Street in Midtown so I'll be at the Dequindre Cut all the time!!!

also, there is no need for any suspension when riding on the street

Unless you're going to drive your bike by car to the cut, ride it only there, then take it by car back to your home, then you need suspension. Detroit's streets can be nasty, and when you get to the end of the cut by the water, there are brick roads down there.

Street bikes are nice in the 'burbs, but my limited riding so far where I live in Detroit has made me thankful I have suspension. It's a fun, but rough ride at times.

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Those must be some shit roads you are riding.
    or bill shea is 70 years old

dexterferry Guest

or his knees are just sore from all that time he spends in the vicinity of matty moroun's anal cavity.

Whoa. Painful reading.

Quote Originally Posted by BShea View Post
    Street bikes are nice in the 'burbs, but my limited riding so far where I live in Detroit has made me thankful I have suspension. It's a fun, but rough ride at times.
    Where do you live? The railroad yards?

Quote Originally Posted by GREENTROIT View Post
    Oh my god you're right. I forgot Detroit is filled with forests of lollipops where unicorns play on rainbows and gumdrops fall from the sky.

That is definitely the most frightening, scary, and disgusting thing anybody will see riding thru the D.
    Exacatamundo.

I walked the cut tonight and was pleased to see a good amount of people out there from 7:30 to 8:30... It was my 4th time on the cut and by far the busiest...

Designerguy24,
    There are plenty of independent bike stores in the Detroit area. Please do not purchase Chinese made garbage from walmart[[no offense to any Chinese people on the board).

I once bought a bike from an independent bike shop in Detroit and the chain popped off the front crank while I was in the middle of shifting! This was about 10 years ago. I just want what is for ME and MY wants. So, from now on I will only buy Chinese bikes.

I'm curious where all the thoughts came from about violence over the graff. This is Detroit, we don't have a huge gang problem like LA or Chicago where street corners are tagged to mark territory of drug suppliers. The taggers here in our city just seem to see how much they can spray their signature all over, its not about gangs or owning an area, just bragging rights. Much of the DCs graff is well thought out, obviously comes from someone who takes his art fairly seriously [[have you ever tried to spray paint something that turned out half as nice as anything down there?)

As far as the spray that reflects a negative attitude such as the ^above^ pics of "DEAD CRAK HEAD" it is what it is, a reflection of the city and its demeanor. I think its necessary for a progress out of that way of thinking, or as I like to think, at least a different direction, whatever that may be.

Id like to think the walls in the cut could be sanctioned to artists to do what they want with the space. A 50' section could be given to one particular artist to do what they want, but then the grit of that persons art would quickly be scrutinized by do gooders, for instance someone spraying "dead crak head" on a public wall. That of course would be taken down along with the beauty of the whole experiment. It would all become to suck. I love the forthrightness of the whole thing as it is but it really doesn't look good for the real artists who spray down there as politics and bureaucracy will prevail.

Forthrightness, look it up you.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I'm curious where all the thoughts came from about violence over the graff. This is Detroit, we don't have a huge gang problem like LA or Chicago where street corners are tagged to mark territory of drug suppliers. The taggers here in our city just seem to see how much they can spray their signature all over, its not about gangs or owning an area, just bragging rights. Much of the DCs graff is well thought out, obviously comes from someone who takes his art fairly seriously [[have you ever tried to spray paint something that turned out half as nice as anything down there?)

As far as the spray that reflects a negative attitude such as the ^above^ pics of "DEAD CRAK HEAD" it is what it is, a reflection of the city and its demeanor. I think its necessary for a progress out of that way of thinking, or as I like to think, at least a different direction, whatever that may be.

Id like to think the walls in the cut could be sanctioned to artists to do what they want with the space. A 50' section could be given to one particular artist to do what they want, but then the grit of that persons art would quickly be scrutinized by do gooders, for instance someone spraying "dead crak head" on a public wall. That of course would be taken down along with the beauty of the whole experiment. It would all become to suck. I love the forthrightness of the whole thing as it is but it really doesn't look good for the real artists who spray down there as politics and bureaucracy will prevail.

Forthrightness, look it up you.
    Similar to the East Side Gallery in Berlin? Some of the tags around our city are rather pretty. I just don't care for the stuff on buildings...

dexterferry Guest

anyone who thinks there isn't gang activity or gang-related graffiti in Detroit just doesn't know what to look for. a lot of vice lords identifiers. 7-mile. usually painted on garages, very much to identify territory.

obviously different from what's going on in the cut or what the [[[[[[[[[s are doing on buildings. but let's not kid ourselves about a lack of gang graf in detroit.

I went to Friends School on St. Aubin in the 1970's and used to take one of the bridges over the cut to go to Lafayette Plaza for ice cream or whatever. It was pretty overgrown and scary even back then.

Dexterferry, Gang graff does exist in the city but not like in others, and I havent known it to be a major factor in violence over turf here but then again Im a few miles south of 7. My screen name could be Cheneferry Dexterferry. We get a few tags here and there but nothing that seems more than kids playing LA style.

Whats up with them and garage doors anyway.

24. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Dexterferry, Gang graff does exist in the city but not like in others, and I havent known it to be a major factor in violence over turf here but then again Im a few miles south of 7. My screen name could be Cheneferry Dexterferry. We get a few tags here and there but nothing that seems more than kids playing LA style.

Whats up with them and garage doors anyway.
    I lol'd at the garage doors mention.

Yes, there is gang graff... but the people who write more artistically are not affiliated and they don't mess with those guys afaik.

I don't get the thinking behind the violence accusation either, though that is pretty much hearsay so maybe it will change later on and writers will be allowed down there again. I hope they are too because it would be nice to have ever-changing scenery there. I think it would be a big draw for people...like I mentioned before who wouldn't want to sit and watch someone work on an elaborate piece? I was just over at St. Andrew's yesterday with some people who were doing a commissioned piece and tons of people who were going to/from the hoedown were stopping and taking pics and watching...and that was in an alley that wasn't really set up for people to walk through.

The cut will be nice either way, though. I'm interested to see if they will extend it further north....

The cut opened on last Thursday. I havent walked it yet, but it looks nice at it's entrance though! Hopefully this weekend...
    I'm not sure where info on it is. I found out through Preservation Wayne folks while helping with a tour at EM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast