Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

You know what, don't run you don't get hurt. You don't commit a crime you don't get hurt. You co-operate with the cops you don't get hurt. People who are innocent don't run. 9 years ago I had a Warren officer try to say I was underage and driving after having a drink, I co-operated and nothing happened even though he wasn't properly doing his job. If I would have ran or resisted, I am now possibly going to cause something to happen where I may be either injured or killed.

Default from a family member in law enforcement

Wow, this family is grieving and in much pain. Maybe the teen was doing wrong. You dont run from anything when your doing right! Ok, sometimes parents are absent and this is what happens to the children. They grow up running down the wrong path. But, I think a softer approach is appropriate.
    Being from a family of law enforcement I have attended fallen officers funerals, and I can relate well to what happens when an officer looses control of a situation. Hopefully, this can be a good message and one can learn from it. Teach your kids right from wrong!
    Last edited by CYNTHIA DUDAL; April-22-09 at 01:50 PM.

couple of questions... What are some of other forms of non-lethal force that are being used and does rubber bullets work ?
    Rubber bullets are intended for crowd control, rather than stopping a fleeing suspect. It hurts when you get hit when you get with one; usually causing people to flee the scene so they don't get hit again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_bullet

Other less-lethal force options include:

• Pepper spray, which has been linked to airway constriction and asphyxiation;
    • Chock holds, which have been linked to serious injury to both the officer and suspect; and
    • Batons, which break bones, damage tissue and cause internal bleeding.

None of these force options is actually good. It's a matter of giving police officers the one that is the least bad.

If you run you must be guilty. "Of what?", you ask. Something. Because, never in the history of mankind has an innocent person ever run. There is no other possible explanation, other than that you have committed some crime. And it must be a serious one, because who in their right mind would exert the energy it takes to run, over a petty misdemeanor.

This formula: "running = guilty" should be used to determine the verdict in all court cases. An automatic guilty verdict for anyone who runs, because we have already established that innocent people don't run. Why bother with a trial.

Does that mean that if you don't run, then you must be innocent? You wish! You are a teenager in Detroit, so you must be a thug. All responsible parents have left Detroit with their offspring. If you are still in Detroit, it is because your irresponsible parents don't care about you. They are not raising you properly and the only reason you didn't run is because you didn't want to get shot or tasered. You should probably get tasered anyway just for good measure because if you haven't done anything illegal yet, you are probably thinking about it.

"But", you protest, "if you read the news accounts you will not find any evidence of a crime having been committed." So what. Society is free to ignore any information that doesn't fit into the argument or presents complexities that might require a different way of thinking. The formula is simple and we reject any attempts to complicate it.

Sad. Expired plates is a violation of a revenue code, not the law. Police overreacted and a Wayne county jury will send a clear message back to Warren[[Macomb) police. Most people mistake codes, statue, and regulations for law. Young man violated no laws, injured no one. Electricity kills.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    This formula: "running = guilty" should be used to determine the verdict in all court cases.

It's "running = suspicious and warranting an investigative stop" not "running = guilty" but don't let that little fact deter you from spinning yourself into the ground.

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CYNTHIA DUDAL View Post
    Wow, this family is grieving and in much pain. Maybe the teen was doing wrong. You dont run from anything when your doing right! Ok, sometimes parents are absent and this is what happens to the children. They grow up running down the wrong path. But, I think a softer approach is appropriate.
    Being from a family of law enforcement I have attended fallen officers funerals, and I can relate well to what happens when an officer looses control of a situation. Hopefully, this can be a good message and one can learn from it. Teach your kids right from wrong!
    Really, I just don't care.

Some here seem to be ignoring the fact that his young man was not tasered for running from the police! He was tasered for "violenty resisting arrest". Considering the circumstances it's likely that he would have simply been detained and released had he not resorted to violence.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post

It's "running = suspicious and warranting an investigative stop" not "running = guilty" but don't let that little fact deter you from spinning yourself into the ground.

You're right that running = suspicious, depending on the circumstances under which a person is running. But I'm not responding to people who are saying the police have a right to be suspicious of someone who is running from them. I am responding, in the post you referenced, specifically to people in posts preceding mine, who are actually saying that if you run you must be guilty of something. Of course that is not necessarily true, but people keep saying it as though it is. Every few posts on this thread, someone repeats it as though it is gospel, even though the facts, thus far, don't support the belief that a crime must have been committed by the young man.

So I'm not the one spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Some here seem to be ignoring the fact that his young man was not tasered for running from the police! He was tasered for "violenty resisting arrest". Considering the circumstances it's likely that he would have simply been detained and released had he not resorted to violence.

Good point.

But sometimes people post generalizations and assumptions and others respond to those specific posts and the more important aspects of an issue get lost.

Someone earlier said wait on the facts and that's a good idea. In the meantime, why is it so necessary for some to paint the young man as a thug? That's primarliy what I respond to.

Quote Originally Posted by detmich View Post
    Really, I just don't care.
    I did not ask a question.

diver1369 Guest

Considering what happened to the officer in Oak Park, if I were a cop I wouldn't take any chance of someone overtaking me if they were resistant to my commands.

detmich Guest

Good point.

But sometimes people post generalizations and assumptions and others respond to those specific posts and the more important aspects of an issue get lost.

Someone earlier said wait on the facts and that's a good idea. In the meantime, why is it so necessary for some to paint the young man as a thug? That's primarliy what I respond to.

Why is it necessary to paint the police as over zealous racist killers?

Good point.

Unfortunately we deal with others by profiling. And just as in stereotypes and assumptions there's just enough truth to make it dangerous and people continue to be lazy and not take each situation for what it presents.

For example some of the most upstanding people in the community have been known as hit and run drivers, not because there criminals per se but they did something wrong[[a lot of times by accident) and they panicked something that could happen to anybody. Fear makes people guilty and innocent sometimes run .
    Locke point was just don't dismiss him as a thug because of it

Why is it necessary to paint the police as over zealous racist killers?
    I don't think those terms was ever mentioned in this thread, but I guess when you have a agenda you need to get it out there and it really doesn't make a difference what is being said or what the truth is.

Like I said before never let the truth get in the way of an uninformed opinion.

detmich Guest

It appears that you haven't read the thread, or perhaps you honed your reading comprehension skills in DPS. So without further ado, here is a brief sampling of what has been said.

A quote from the original poster suggesting the police are racist-
    "...give these officers some training, ...so they know how to treat a child who’s black.”
    From your friend Danny, speaks for itself as usual
    Racism and racist cops are still the norm in Warren.
    Eastsideal weighs in on the over zealous aspect
    The penalty for riding in someone else's car that isn't properly licensed shouldn't be to be chased down by cops and electrocuted. From the facts disclosed thus far they had very little reason to pursue this young man in the first place, and tazer use seems completely over the top and unwarranted.
    There are many, many more included in this relatively short thread. You just need to actually read what is written to understand it.

But don't worry, I accept your apology.

Last edited by detmich; April-23-09 at 09:24 AM.

This thread illustrates all that is wrong with our society particularly in detroit and S.E. Michigan. To place the blame for this persons death on the police perpetuates the culture of denial that until acknowledged will contribute to the long slow demise of detroit. Why are so many of you so quick to point responsibility at the police? Why do so many of you ingnore the role this person played in their own death? This refusal to accept responsibilty for yourself and your situation permeates every facet of detroit culture. The time is long overdue for a long hard look in the mirror.

The attitude of victimization, certainly exists in culture today. Everyone feels victimized in some way or another.

It appears that you haven't read the thread, or perhaps you honed your reading comprehension skills in DPS. So without further ado, here is a brief sampling of what has been said.

A quote from the original poster suggesting the police are racist-
    From your friend Danny, speaks for itself as usual
    Eastsideal weighs in on the over zealous aspect
    There are many, many more included in this relatively short thread. You just need to actually read what is written to understand it.

But don't worry, I accept your apology.

Bravo to you my friend you were able to string together some isolated statements inferring that we posters were making out the cops to be over zealous racist killers and make a decent argument that was the case. Only you know what your real intent was in making that statement. I have some guesses but I'll leave it at that.
    But thanks for accepting my apology that I didn't give and BTW
    I'll match up my reading comphension skills which I did get from DPS with yours any day of the week

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I'll match up my reading comphension skills which I did get from DPS with yours any day of the week
    You already have, and you lost.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4