Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

"In New York, we used to just put the beer in a bag. The reasoning was that if the cops can't see what you're drinking, they can't get you. And it actually worked."

Thus the reason there are a ton of red Solo cups in the hands of many a patron at the Woodward Dream Cruise.

Being outside the four walls of your homestead, your rights change dramatically. I have a beer or five while maintaining the grounds of my homestead and never had an issue. However, many summers ago the people that used to live next door to me would regularly hang out on the front porch slamming forties and being real loud. Again, I generally don't have a problem with that going on [[to each their own), but when the hangout is almost every night, the patrons loud as hell when just having a conversation and the hangout goes on past 1 in the morning, then there is an issue. I never did anything but ask them to keep it down [[the next day and only about 100 times), but my other neighbors didn't quite have the same level of tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    Being outside the four walls of your homestead, your rights change dramatically. I have a beer or five while maintaining the grounds of my homestead and never had an issue. However, many summers ago the people that used to live next door to me would regularly hang out on the front porch slamming forties and being real loud. Again, I generally don't have a problem with that going on [[to each their own), but when the hangout is almost every night, the patrons loud as hell when just having a conversation and the hangout goes on past 1 in the morning, then there is an issue. I never did anything but ask them to keep it down [[the next day and only about 100 times), but my other neighbors didn't quite have the same level of tolerance.
    Back in the forties and fities on the northeast side of Detroit, the word "neighborly" had real meaning and supposed a certain degree of mutual obligation to and from the folks on your block.

I agree. My street really kicks all forms of ass; however, this situation really infringed on the streets good will. I even caught a little crap because I refused to call the cops every time it happened. They really were great people, our kids played together and I even knew one of their friends from many moons ago. It's really too bad that [[correctable and preventable) bad habits facilitated them moving away, but it really worked out for everyone involved. Every once in a while, the guy that used to live there comes by for a beer and a chat -- in the front yard no less.

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    As long as the drinkers of intoxicants aren't lipping off with lewd and offensive comments at passersby they shouldn't be harrassed...
    They often do, though. Some porch-party folks can get pretty aggressive; I've seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    They often do, though. Some porch-party folks can get pretty aggressive; I've seen it.
    Big difference between a porch party and sipping a few beers while sitting on your porch glider watching the kids play.

When I was a kid, lots of the neighbors sat on the front porch with a beer and listened to the Tigers on a lawn chair. My mom thought it was awful, but that is my mom. To me, it is a good memory. No one bothered anyone, it was a way to enjoy the summer evening. We were running around catching fireflies and playing tag or whatever, hide and seek. Today it is just another way for cities to pad their wallets.

Quote Originally Posted by Servite76 View Post
    Well, if it's illegal in Grosse Pointe, I'm going away for life...
    Lived in the patch on Wayburn with a case of blue light [[or Newcastle when I was running) on the front porch for years - just don't be D & D and you should be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Big difference between a porch party and sipping a few beers while sitting on your porch glider watching the kids play.
    Sure is, and I see nothing wrong with what you're describing. The thing is, you don't see that kind of peaceful scenario so much anymore. It's usually rowdier nowadays and often involves males in their teens to early 20s.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    While I agree that drinking a beer, a 'highball' or a Faygo on ones porch should certainly be ones own business, I think when they're talking about a 'stoop' in NY, NY, they are talking about a public area in a public building. It would be like taking your Labatt's and sitting on the steps in front of the Lafayette Towers.
    You've hit the nail on the head--a stoop isn't a homeowner's private property. It's a porch wanna-be.

Crazy. You should be able to enjoy your porch with a nice cold one....

Although I would prefer a nice single malt scotch whiskey.....

One thing I miss about our old house is the front porch. I don't miss the 25 teenagers that hung out there. I have to ask the officer next time I see him if it's legal in my city.
    My cousins talk about my Grandpa sitting on the porch drinking his beer after work, watching them play in the front yard. By the time I came around Grandparents moved to a smaller house with a much smaller porch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2