Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Damn I had no idea I was asking th stupid question of the year! Thanks all! I had a feeling it might be something like that. Just still seemed weird to me. Maybe if I seen the rest of of where this islocated my brain would start working again and the crack would dissolve from my system! :P
    Ya and whats does someone from the snobburbs know anyways?
    It's okay--we had a lot of fun at your expense. *hug*

Federal Building in Downtown Windsor [[Paul Martin Building) - and many Federal Government Buildings of the same era in Canada have "Dominion Pvblic Building" over the door in stone.

smudge pot Guest

Damn I had no idea I was asking th stupid question of the year!
    Nothing stupid about it, in fact, in some of the early Popeye, I always wondered who that BRVTVS dude was.

Ravine Guest

Yeah, sure, to those of us who knew the answer, it seemed like a really stupid question, but don't feel bad, One Shot. When you wonder about something, and you figure that there is an explanation, there is not a goddam thing "stupid" about posing an investigatory question.
    What is stupid is the amount of smug pedantry, running through this forum like a sewer line, coming from some folks who may have known the answer to your question but who, in so many other ways, probably couldn't find their ass with both hands.

What's a pedantry, Walter?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Fvcking absvrd.
    Fvcking fvnny

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    How about Cincinnatti named after the great Roman, Cincinnatus, who showed great leadership and civic virtue by not being corrupted by absolute power when he was voted dictator to put down a revolt and, then, surrendered his position and disbanded his army once order and safety was restored to Rome. What did they teach you in history class?
    Cincinnati was named after the Society of the Cincinnati, an organization of veteran Revolutionary War officers which took their inspiration and name from the history of Cincinnatus.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Yeah, sure, to those of us who knew the answer, it seemed like a really stupid question, but don't feel bad, One Shot. When you wonder about something, and you figure that there is an explanation, there is not a goddam thing "stupid" about posing an investigatory question.
    What is stupid is the amount of smug pedantry, running through this forum like a sewer line, coming from some folks who may have known the answer to your question but who, in so many other ways, probably couldn't find their ass with both hands.
    Guilty.

Stosh Guest

Damn I had no idea I was asking th stupid question of the year! Thanks all! I had a feeling it might be something like that. Just still seemed weird to me. Maybe if I seen the rest of of where this islocated my brain would start working again and the crack would dissolve from my system! :P
    Ya and whats does someone from the snobburbs know anyways?
    It's not a stupid question in my book. Why anyone would actually do that on a building boggles the mind. It has no common use in the normal state of affairs in modern times. To actually use it on a building is rather a great example of someone that is an idiotard, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Cincinnati was named after the Society of the Cincinnati, an organization of veteran Revolutionary War officers which took their inspiration and name from the history of Cincinnatus.
    Yes, if you want to get really technical, the City of Cincinatti was named after the Society of Cincinnatti that was named after the Roman Dictator Cincinnatus for the values and inspiration he stood for. Ultimately, the name ties back to Rome. In addition, Cincinnati the city has a further connection with Rome through its nickname of "The City of Seven Hills" [3] [[a phrase commonly associated with Rome) and the town twinning program of Sister Cities International. [[FROM:: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Cincinnati)

Ravine Guest

"Guilty?"
    Not so fast, O Embraceful Evader of Expressways. You are not smug, nor are you a pedant.
    Actually, I'm just trying to remind everyone that forums like this one are a good place for questions like that one, and while most of us are quite the experts in certain fields, there are areas of knowledge about which we are 100% numb.
    One of my first entries on DY! was my question about the significance of tied-together athletic shoes, hanging from overhead wires, in various spots throughout the city. Now, I never received The Definitive Answer [[although the discussion became quite lively & interesting,) but the point is that this forum was a good place to pose the question.
    Speaking for myself, I possess immeasureable miles of collected knowledge about all kinds of stuff, but if two of my co-workers begin a discussion of auto repair, I become entirely lost immediately after the part where the hood of the car is lifted.
    Here is my list of Things I Know About Handy-Man Stuff:

1. Difference between flat-head & phillips-head.
    2. Can operate vice-grips.
    3. How to check motor-oil and where to pour it when needed.
    Last edited by Ravine; January-13-10 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    It's not a stupid question in my book. Why anyone would actually do that on a building boggles the mind. It has no common use in the normal state of affairs in modern times. To actually use it on a building is rather a great example of someone that is an idiotard, IMHO.
    Stosh.... most of the government and bank buildings built before WWII were built in a Roman style. All of our coinage until 1946-47 had classic imagery as well.... and even the cent and nickel had classic reverses until recently. Go to Washington DC, and you will have a difficult time NOT seeing Roman architecture.

Our alphabet, law, democracy and many many areas of our current civilization are built upon the foundations of Greco-Roman civilization.

Why would a "V" instead of a "U" seem out of place and dumb if we consider ourselves [[USA) collectively as the heirs of Caesar??

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Stosh.... most of the government and bank buildings built before WWII were built in a Roman style. All of our coinage until 1946-47 had classic imagery as well.... and even the cent and nickel had classic reverses until recently. Go to Washington DC, and you will have a difficult time NOT seeing Roman architecture.

Our alphabet, law, democracy and many many areas of our current civilization are built upon the foundations of Greco-Roman civilization.

Why would a "V" instead of a "U" seem out of place and dumb if we consider ourselves [[USA) collectively as the heirs of Caesar??

Learning Latin and Greek and thus the classical civilizations was at one time the cornerstone of higher education in England and in the US. As a result, most of the "movers and shakers" prior to John Dewey and 1900 were classically educated.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Learning Latin and Greek and thus the classical civilizations was at one time the cornerstone of higher education in England and in the US. As a result, most of the "movers and shakers" prior to John Dewey and 1900 were classically educated.
    Which reinforces my theory that most of the "movers and shakers" were, in fact, pretentious asshats.

Ravine Guest

"...Which reinforces my theory that most of the "movers and shakers" were, in fact, pretentious asshats...."

Thumbs up on that one, Stosh.
    "Classically educated," my ass. Write in Roman, or write in English. "Our" language is already mutted-up with enough derivations and borrowed words & terms without deliberately mixing it with that type of shit, and the fact that it was done a long time ago is no excuse.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    "...Which reinforces my theory that most of the "movers and shakers" were, in fact, pretentious asshats...."

Thumbs up on that one, Stosh.
    "Classically educated," my ass. Write in Roman, or write in English. "Our" language is already mutted-up with enough derivations and borrowed words & terms without deliberately mixing it with that type of shit, and the fact that it was done a long time ago is no excuse.
    There have been numerous "revival" periods in this country's history. These revivals were little more than fads. Roman, Egyptian, Greek, etc. Heavy influences in style and literature. Where are they now? Dustbins of history.

Should be considered important? Of course. Do you need a V to signify a U? No. This is the separation between a fad and a serious architectural study. If this was so all fired important to do, the entire word should have been written in Latin. Authenticity!

And is this Detroit Sauings Bank? No.

And for that matter, within the coinage... Is it written "In God We Trvst"? Nope.
    Last edited by Stosh; January-13-10 at 09:38 AM.

There are no STUPID question,

only

STUPID answers!!!
    parochial school education!

Default look at all municpalities

The wayne covnty jail,i dont know why the buildings replaced u for v's but the did look all around on the jails and in e.market

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2