Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ziggyselbin View Post
    Aside from what could have been a real tragedy had the young man somehow gotten hurt this is not a horrible situation.

The insurance co pays off. The idiotic shit brained moron that put the car there will pay financially and hopefully criminally and the owner of the car will get to have another car
    Doubtful. If the parents of the 16 yo boy were to take action against the father of the 14 yo girl all he has to do is counter with a statutory rape charge. What if this little dalliance leaves her pregnant? Are the parents of the 16 yo boy willing to shoulder the costs of raising their son's offspring?

We do not know if the boy and the girl were engaged in an activity that would lead to a statutory rape charge.

We don't know the whole story, but it sure seems that the girl's father is the one who should be facing a judge.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KENSINGTONY View Post
    Hmmm.Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought with a 16 year old driver there had to be a licensed adult in the car while the teen is driving.
    Only between midnight and 5am if they have a Level 2 license.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    We do not know if the boy and the girl were engaged in an activity that would lead to a statutory rape charge.

We don't know the whole story, but it sure seems that the girl's father is the one who should be facing a judge.
    LOL! I was a teenage boy once and I know there's only one thing you could be doing in the back seat of the car with a teenage girl. Agreed that putting the boy's life at risk was not the answer, but there is culpability on the boy's part and he also has consequences to face for his actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    That's a total loss....
    Is this the actual vehicle?

There may not have any sexual activity going on. They may have just been getting high.

Quote Originally Posted by Sludgedaddy View Post
    .....ahhhh, the folly of youth......Oh, to be sixteen again and have the flexibility to perform in an area so small like the back seat of a 2010 Dodge Charger! At least my old Nash's front seat could fold down to form a more suitable venue. Never had a problem at the old Bel-Air Drive-in.
    I had the AMC Ambassador version of that Nash. Still had the front seats that laid all the way back. Convenient at the drive-in for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    LOL! I was a teenage boy once and I know there's only one thing you could be doing in the back seat of the car with a teenage girl. Agreed that putting the boy's life at risk was not the answer, but there is culpability on the boy's part and he also has consequences to face for his actions.
    ...but none on the girl's part?

This thread is a good reminder to boys and girls who might have an underage boyfriend or girlfriend, especially a boyfriend or girlfriend with a parent prone to - a'hem - extreme reactions.

Legally in Michigan, a person under the age of 16 cannot consent to sexual activity. Right or wrong, that is the law.

When our son was dating his then underage girlfriend, they were not together alone so that no question could come up about whether they were having sex. [[They are still together, he is 22 and she is 19.)

I love how some loose cannon from West Bloomfield apparently thinks he is above the law. What a big dummy. He's lucky the boy didn't drown or freeze. I hope somebody puts a scare into him.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    ...but none on the girl's part?
    Her culpability lies with the smeared reputation she'll have from this incident. Even if it had not garnered this much publicity, how many 16 yo boys do you know that could keep their mouths shut after they got some? And of course if she were to be pregnant from this incident, that's 18 years of culpability right there. I know I would never let my minor daughter go on a date with a young man in a car. Thank god my 16 yo daughter is content to just having phone relationships with boys right now.

Her culpability lies with the smeared reputation she'll have from this incident. Even if it had not garnered this much publicity, how many 16 yo boys do you know that could keep their mouths shut after they got some? And of course if she were to be pregnant from this incident, that's 18 years of culpability right there. I know I would never let my minor daughter go on a date with a young man in a car. Thank god my 16 yo daughter is content to just having phone relationships with boys right now.
    Stigma? what is this 1950? No one is being branded with any scarlet letters. I would bet it was she that was the instigator in the first place. Girls are ruthless.

But really, the better action for defending this girl's precious flower [[instead of destroying a car and almost killing a kid) would be to not let her go out at 1 am if she is such a tender creature.
    Last edited by bailey; January-11-10 at 12:49 PM.

I had a Rambler too. Only got caught once where the guy tried to let the seats down. I popped out of that car so fast! WITH the keys, of course.

The truth is, we DON'T know how far along they were in their activities. Either they were or they weren't, had already or were about to, or only planned to get to first base and quit. It was still a dangerous situation.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Stigma? what is this 1950? No one is being branded with any scarlet letters. I would bet it was she that was the instigator in the first place. Girls are ruthless.

But really, the better action for defending this girl's precious flower [[instead of destroying a car and almost killing a kid) would be to not let her go out at 1 am if she is such a tender creature.
    I don't know about that. Even in the 21st century a "slut" is still the worst thing you can be referred to in High School according to my daughter.

I don't know about that. Even in the 21st century a "slut" is still the worst thing you can be referred to in High School according to my daughter.
    agreed its quite a slur, but, "slut" and "sexually active" are not synonymous. Does anyone have any of the other facts here? Could they be dating? Sounds likely as Daddy obviously knew who he was looking for, where to look, and what they were driving. That would speak to it being more than a hook up.

But really... why is the immediate assumption that this was a predatory thing or that the girl is a victim here? we're talking [[most likely) about a freshman and a sophomore. two kids getting busy at some local make out spot would hardly be cause to label the girl a slut.

In any event, judging by Juliet's Father's behavior here---and barring any proof of roofies or some other physical restraint or coercion by Romeo-- I would guess she is more likely to suffer abuse at his hands than anywhere else.

Bailey, man oh man, your Dad really must have done a number on you, sure hope you either get into - or stay - in therapy. Your posts just bleed with unresolved issues. Very disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Is this the actual vehicle?
    That picture came from a blog reporting the incident. Judging the pic it more looks like it was a 2009 model instead of a 2010 model.

Let's look at the evidence.

And take a look at this set of wheels. And matching colour. Also the trim on the door matches. The Pleasant Lake car is indeed a Dodge Charger.

Well, I think this story..... holds water.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; January-11-10 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Bailey, man oh man, your Dad really must have done a number on you, sure hope you either get into - or stay - in therapy. Your posts just bleed with unresolved issues. Very disturbing.
    wait...what?I bleed with unresolved issues by simply asking why the boy in this story is immediately a guilty party, got what was coming to him, and the girl is a victim who will immediately labeled a slut?

Can assume by your statement you are condoning the father's behavior here?

I've got to go with Bailey on this one. Just because the girl was parked with a guy doesn't make her a slut. I think the kids at her school would be less likely to label her that than the people on here seem to be. Even back in the olden days [['70's) other kids didn't make much of a fuss about a girl being a slut unless she was pulling a train in the back of the school bus.
    The fact the he's 16 and she's 14 doesn't mean much. They could be as little as 366 days apart in age. He may have turned 16 the day this happened and she will turn 15 the next. And with Dad's totally irrational act in shoving/driving/pushing the car in the lake, she is more likely to suffer an act of violence from him than not.

Where I went to School in Suburban Detroit in the 80s, a girl who went all the way was a bad stigma to have. That's not to say there was not a lot that did. But they were usaully devastated by the weight of the rumours, name calling and guys approaching them for sex because the girls in question were marked as "easy".

Bailey actually sounds pretty sensible to me. This is hardly the first or last time [[-this week-) that kids of this age will be making out [[whether or not they had actual sex). It may not make parents happy, or be the right thing to do goodness knows, but it is what teenagers do [[or try to do, or want to do). At least it certainly was when I went to high school way back in the dark ages of the '70s.

A statutory rape charge for kids who are at most a couple of years apart sounds like a gross over-reaction to an incident like this, and would really be stretching the bounds of what those laws are actually intended to stop and punish [[which is adults using their size, power, and experience to take sexual advantage of children). Of course, pushing or driving the boy's car out onto the ice, and leaving him there to goodness knows what fate, seems a far more irresponsible, and most likely criminal, act.

The same as we trust adults in this society under penalty of law not to take sexual advantage of children, we also trust them under penalty of law to control their emotions and physical reactions to things kids do, and not to put children in physical harm's way. This father it seems to me WAY over-stepped these bounds, and if no criminal charges are brought against him [[which, from the story told here, certainly seem like they should be). I would expect that boy's parents will sue him.

Back in the '70's, we were still riding the wave of 'free love' from the '60's hippie days. Maybe there wasn't as much of a stigma. Or maybe the fact that I went to an all girl's catholic school kept the rumors from getting started since the boys were someplace else than the girls, but I really don't remember any big deals about girls being termed sluts. Once in a while we'd have a girl leave the school in the middle of the school year after putting on some weight, but there was usually only speculation as to why she left.

smudge pot Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    And on the boot you can clearly see the dodge badge.
    Too bad we don't have a good shot of the bonnet, that would definitely nail it. When I was a kid, there would be all these horrible accidents, and the magnum opus was these kids racing home from Dunn's Tomb on graduation day.

All the wrecks ended up at the same gas station, and we would go down there like it was some grotesque museum of Newtonian physics, and pause in reflective awe at each display.

Quote Originally Posted by smudge pot View Post
    grotesque museum of Newtonian physics.
    That is BY FAR the best description I've ever seen of a wrecking yard.

Daddy's being charged:
    Man Charged In Car Into Lake Incident
    Father Upset After Finding Daughter, Boyfriend In Back Seat Of Car, Police Say
    POSTED: Friday, January 15, 2010
    UPDATED: 3:03 pm EST January 19, 2010

WEST BLOOMFIELD, Mich. -- A West Bloomfield father was arraigned on charges of malicious destruction of property and reckless driving Tuesday after police said he drove his teen daughter's boyfriend and his vehicle into a lake after he found the two in the back seat.
    Scott David Sullivan, 43, was arraigned in 48th District Court. He was released after he posted 10 percent of the $5,000 bond.<snip>
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/22250534/detail.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast