Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

1955? How did you keep those pictures from fading?
    Those are scans of Kodachrome 35 mm slides. Kodachrome film was manufactured by Eastman Kodak from 1935 until 2009. Kodachrome was valued by photographers because of its color accuracy and dark-storage longevity.

Scans of those three slides and many, many more are included in the the following archived threads:

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1225496820
    http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1225750818

Beautiful pictures MikeG! I never realized it was so shiny and glittering.

Beautiful pictures MikeG! I never realized it was so shiny and glittering.
    While researching for the original thread, I read somewhere that the Conservatory's exterior glazing and frames had just been refurbished prior to when those photos were taken.

MichMatters Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ... that article stated "formerly known as the Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory"...

I don't remember a name change, ever?
    It must be bad research, because I'm pretty sure the formal name of the place hasn't been changed.

Slightly off topic, but two or three of the posts here are totally inappropriate, and show exactly the rotten fruits of deep-seated prejudices. I commend those whose first response was to help with whatever they could instead of miring themselves, and cloaking themselves, in the no-action "I told you so" attitudes, baseless assumptions, and scathing, generlizing indictments. Self-fulfilling prophecize much?
    Last edited by MichMatters; January-06-10 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichMatters View Post
    It must be bad research, because I'm pretty sure the formal name of the place hasn't been changed.

Slightly off topic, but two or three of the posts here are totally inappropriate, and show exactly the rotten fruits of deep-seated prejudices. I commend those whose first response was to help with whatever they could instead of miring themselves, and cloaking themselves, in the no-action "I told you so" attitudes, baseless assumptions, and scathing, generlizing indictments. Self-fulfilling prophecize much?
    MichMatters, I agree... I believe that's an error... I was last there in October, and I thought it still called it by its' old name.

On your other comment... I agree.... we've got a "turd in the punchbowl" on many threads....

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MichMatters View Post

I believe the sign out front hasn't changed the name.

Moderator, please cross-post to "Crap Jour...". Oh wait, never mind.

In all honesty, I'm darned glad the article was written and posted online. I was hopting for an update.

Geez.... All I did was ask a simple question, & inject a little sarcasm along the way, sorry to get everybody riled up!

1946 to 1952 we used to go over to Belle Isle every Sunday after church. My father loved Belle Isle. Horse and buggies in the summer, horse and sleighs in the winter, the aquarium, the conservatory, the small zoo, the square ice cream cones from the little stand, sailing model sailboats in the Key Fountain. It is all gone now to memories.

I work for the city and I was at the Conservatory on Monday and spoke to staff about this. The heat is working fine! Due to the extreme cold and high wind chill this weekend the temperatures did drop in one area of the Conservatory [[and the heating system could not keep up with the drop) and did cause some browning of leaves on some of the ferns. The ferns will be cut back and will be just fine. The City did bring in an additional portable heating system [[that had been ordered a few weeks ago) and this is now installed. Thanks for your concern.

loralei:
    Thank you, for the update. There were reports in February 2007 of damage caused by an inadequate heating system and leaking pipes. It is hoped that funding and training for employees can be found, to assure the future of this gem.

Thanks loralei!!!

LodgeDodger Guest

For those folks interested in Belle Isle history:

Saturday, February 16th @ 2:00 PM:
    Belle Isle History Presentation at Detroit Public Library
    Lori Feret , Chairperson of the Friends of Belle Isle Speakers Bureau will be giving a presentation about Belle Isle at the Skilman Branch of the Detroit Public Library on Saturday, February 16th @ 2:00 PM.

Tuesday, February 16th @ 7:00 PM
    Lighthouses from Detroit to Port Huron
    Lori is also giving a presentation at the Troy Public Library on Feb. 16 at 7:00 pm on lighthouses from Detroit to Port Huron.

The Detroit News Belle Isle Blog:
    http://community.detnews.com/blogs/i...borhood?cat=52

MichMatters Guest

Thanks for the updates, Loralei. You guys keep up the hard work.

So what's the status of the Conservatory and plant inside at present? I was thinking of going over there this weekend just cuz I haven't been in a while....I mean I understand and greatly appreciate the structure's historical value, but are the plants worth seeing at this time or would it be better to wait till the spring? How do the plants look?

Side note, those photos from 1955 are fantastic!

Conservatory is open as usual. I think it's fabulous this time of winter.... a welcome break from the snow and cold,
    but judge for yourself:
    http://belleislehome.blogspot.com/20...servatory.html

These pictures are from a few weeks ago, but it looks pretty much the same this week.

The conservatory has one of the largest municipally owned orchid collections in the country and they normally bloom from January to April. The tropical house is the best place to go right now. The plants in the cactus house will be in bloom in March or May time frame.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2