I don't know if this is the kind of topic that is typically discussed on DY. I normally stick to the Discuss Detroit thread, but this has been bugging me lately.

I am a woman and my male friend continually complains about me slamming his car door. Is this a common issue for men and women? I ask this because his insistence that I "slam" his door made me actually go online to see if I might have some sort of deep seated anger that makes me take it out on his door. Do you know that when I typed "why can't I stop slamming car doors" in the search box, I actually came across a devotional [[it was the first search result ) about a woman asking God to help her stop slamming her boyfriend's door?! While I did appreciate it and will try to take it to heart, I swear that I am not putting forth enough effort to "slam" his door. In fact, today I only used two fingers to close the door because I had something else in my hand preventing me from using all of my fingers in the effort. Its not like he's driving a hoopty. Its a 2009 solidly built full size SUV.

I swear that I try to be mindful of not slamming the door, but I've been closing doors with the same amount of force all of my life and I've never been accused of slamming a door. Keep in mind that I've also been getting in and out of cars with my friend for over a decade now with no complaint until the last 6 months or so.

In my online search I also found other inquiries from women about slamming car doors of the men in their lives, so that got me to wondering if this is a man-woman issue and, if so, why are men so sensitive to car door "slamming" and why do we do it? Is there a physiological explanation, are we just being insensitive to the anti-car door-slamming men, what is it?