Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

All I can say is be watchful. Try to spend in Detroit when possible and keep your property in good shape and you will have done more than many. Enjoy your stay.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Do you really believe that? People walking out to their car, parked in their OWN driveway, get carjacked by some sheet-heel and they brought it on by negative thought? Do you really believe your verbal diarrhea?

How about the little girl who gets shot in the head playing in her OWN bedroom because some un-educated moron decides to open fire on the house next door but still misses the intended house completely? Yup! That little girl MUSt have had negative thoughts.
    Hey that stuff happens here, and it happens in LA.

Do any of you have any idea how big South Central LA is? It goes from just south of Downtown to the ocean. I am not sure of square footage but it may be bigger than the entire city of Detroit.

Goat, really calling somebody who is trying to be positive a bunch of names is not going to fix the problem. But let's just put it your way for a second:

Let's assume that Detroit is the 9th circle of hell. Let's say for a moment that it's worse than Somalia, or has more kidnappings than Mexico City. Let's just assume there never was anywhere worse there never will be anywhere worse, and you are 100 percent correct.

Why are you still there?

Are you saying "abandon all hope ye who enter here" a la Dante yet you still want to stay. Why would you get so upet that I want to go there?

I am not a believer in New Thought Religion. Of course I don't believe that the little girl brought the negativity upon herself. Catch the bastards who shot her and put them to death, that's my take on such a crime.

But when normal middle class people want to give your city a chance don't you think you ought to at least say, "Welcome. I hope it works out for you"
    Last edited by MJCMEX; January-05-10 at 02:30 PM.

Yes I hope it does work out for you. That is all one can ask for isn't it? Would you rather people tell you otherwise? Sunshine and lillipops perhaps or reality? The best anyone can ask for it that a move works out for them; anywhere they move to including Detroit. Other than that they are blowing sunshine up your ass. Who wants that?

MJCMEX said: "Yeah Hederson is great unless you're in "Hooterville". I am not sure what the crime rate is there but it's pretty damned ugly."

Hooterville is the area of Henderson around Boulder Highway, plus the Henderson 'downtown' area. It's sort of like Taylortucky. It has buildings from the WW II era that supported the Basic Magnesium plant at that time. Lot of homes in the 800 squ. ft. floorplans. But once away from there, most of Henderson is all of the last twenty years or so. Used to be desert up to the foothills of Black Mountain. That's where I am, nestled right at the base of that "hill".
    Last edited by Ray1936; August-01-10 at 08:25 PM.

Retroit Guest

MJCMEX, remember my advice. ............................

Dearborn, a city that borders Detroit to the southwest, has a large Arab population, as does Hamtramck, a small city within the city of Detroit, that is just a few miles west of your new home.

Retriot:

Cool

Ray:

Yup that's Hooterville. I think it is not very crime ridden, just drab.

Goat: Thanks for the wishing me well. I don't need things to be sugar coated.

Hi MJCMEX,

If you can survive the "optimism" of these Detroit boosters than you can survive anything I think. Ha ha.

In most threads where someone says something positive about Detroit, it pretty soon twists around into an example of Detroit eating its own young right here on the thread.

Sometimes Mea Culpa.

Burp.
    Last edited by RickBeall; January-05-10 at 03:29 PM.

What was the homicide count in Detroit for 2009? In Cincinnati it was 60, lowest number since 2001, when it was 55. Last year was 72, so it was a pretty good % decline.

MJCMEX, I wish you the best. You're expectations will likely be exceeded at both the positive and negative ends of the spectrum.

I'm under the impression that you've been to Detroit before but not to your house. Correct? When are you coming out to check it out or to stay?

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    MJCMEX, I wish you the best. You're expectations will likely be exceeded at both the positive and negative ends of the spectrum.

I'm under the impression that you've been to Detroit before but not to your house. Correct? When are you coming out to check it out or to stay?
    That is correct: I was out to see other houses and I put down an offer that "mysteriously" disappeared. [[Some real estate agent stole that other house out from under my agent because it was basically a couple of coats of paint and ready to go.)

This house is way bigger, but needs more work. I had an independent inspector take a look at it. The guy was very pessimistic before going out but later after seeing it said I was buying a good fixer upper in a relatively safe area.
    [[I get the fact that we are talking about "safe-ish" out here.)

I am coming out to do my first walk through on the 20th of this month. If I am not murdered during the walk through I will let you all know how things went.

I do plan BTW to buy other houses on the same street that are vacant if the neighborhood itself proves to be decent.

When you are taking in museums, don't forget the Arab American Museum in Dearborn, at the corner of Michigan Ave. and Schaeffer. If you go to their website, you'll find a lot of activities they host.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    When you are taking in museums, don't forget the Arab American Museum in Dearborn, at the corner of Michigan Ave. and Schaeffer. If you go to their website, you'll find a lot of activities they host.

Hi Maxx I do plan to do just that. Thank you for the tip and sorry to have responded so late to your post.

Are you of Arabic heritage? My wife is from Damascus and is Armenian, which may not may her Arabic per se, but decidedly Middle Eastern.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2