We are just fortunate that there has not been a major CBRNE incident involving a Public Transit Coach here in Detroit. If the people in charge of acquiring Federal Grants and/or making Homeland Security decisions at DDOT are unable, unwilling, or otherwise unqualified to do the task, then they need to be replaced! The Federal Government has mandated that Transit Security is to be given the highest priority in terms of Homeland Security, yet, there are still unguarded gates, unlocked doors, few policies/procedures in place, which potentially leaves DDOT wide open for a Terrorist attack involving a Public Transit Coach. I pray that it never happens here, but if it does, I hope the people who were responsible for making sure that the risk was minimized as much as possible will be able to sleep at night...

11.7 Million Dollar Grant awarded to Wayne County Sheriff Department for DDOT Transit Security in May 2007. They were a DDOT dedicated unit, with both marked & unmarked units whose sole responsibility was DDOT security, a task that was done very well, with hard statistical data to back it up. In June, 2009, DPOA won a grievance which awarded them the balance of the contract. They have not done a good job at all!!! There is a lack of concern for Transit Security based on the lack of Officers riding the coaches, the horrible response times, etc., yet they are supposed to be fulfilling the remainder of the contract that DPOA fought so hard to get! There is a lower level at the Federally Funded Rosa Parks Transit Center which is designated as a Detroit Police Mini-Station, yet there are never any Police Officers there? Interesting thing is; Warren Evans was the Sheriff when the contract was awarded to the Wayne County Sheriff Department, now, he is the Chief of the Detroit Police Department??? He has clearly shown he knows how to get the job done regarding DDOT Transit Security, yet it seems he is unwilling or unable to do so now? Wake Up Folks! These are peoples lives were talking about here! Has Transit Security been forced to the back seat of the bus in favor of Politics in Detroit? Hmmm?... 11.7 Million Dollars awarded in 2007, DPD awarded the balance of the contract in 2009... Something just ain't adding up here! Wake Up! Take A Stand! Tell it to anyone who'll listen, because I sure as hell am!!!!