Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

View Poll Results: Did You Feel Safer With Wayne County Sheriff's On DDOT Busses?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they were visable & effective

3 12.00%
  • Yes, I heard they were there, but I didn't see them

5 20.00%
  • No, there was no difference

6 24.00%
  • I never ride the bus

11 44.00%

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    By CBRNE, are you referring to a Chemical, Biological, Radiation, Nuclear, Explosive attack? Is that what people on the bus are afraid of? I would have thought a simple mugging would be of more immediate concern. Would a terrorist really want to blow up a little bus when they could just as easily blow up a building?
    The goal of a Terrorist is invoke fear and/or a disruption in normalcy. Blowing up a "little bus" as you so eloquently phrased it, would have a devastating effect. People would not ride the bus to work, school, etc., because of fear. And if that little bus was packed with the right materials, placed in the right area, then the damage would be both physical as well as psychological. London, Israel, China, India... need I say more?

Quote Originally Posted by carlscomputers View Post
    The goal of a Terrorist is invoke fear and/or a disruption in normalcy. Blowing up a "little bus" as you so eloquently phrased it, would have a devastating effect. People would not ride the bus to work, school, etc., because of fear. And if that little bus was packed with the right materials, placed in the right area, then the damage would be both physical as well as psychological. London, Israel, China, India... need I say more?
    I'm glad you had to clarify dude's comments. After reading that, I felt like posting something snide but I had to leave it alone. I remember after 9/11, I was debating if I was wanted to get on a airplane to return back to Detroit for the holidays. It didn't help my nerves much when the plane went down in Queens right before Thanksgiving of that year and when Richard Reid tried to blow up a plane with his shoe. To finish, a terrorist is not looking to blow up a building. A terrorist is attempting to kill humans either by blowing up a bus or a building. Don't matter to them as long as loss of life is achieved.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    ... a terrorist is not looking to blow up a building. A terrorist is attempting to kill humans either by blowing up a bus or a building. Don't matter to them as long as loss of life is achieved.
    I didn't mean a little abandoned building, I meant a large occupied building. If you were a terrorist, would you bomb a bus with a few people on it or would you bomb the Renaissance Center?

How would you prevent a CBRNE attack on a bus? Just having security guards or police on there is not going to prevent it. You'd have to have security at least as good as they have at the airport. Is this realistic?

I think the guards on buses were intended more for more ordinary crimes like robbery and assault, not terrorist attacks.

Oh Oh! here comes the green flu. There might be a secret transit strike if lack of security on D-DOT buses persists.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    I didn't mean a little abandoned building, I meant a large occupied building. If you were a terrorist, would you bomb a bus with a few people on it or would you bomb the Renaissance Center?

How would you prevent a CBRNE attack on a bus? Just having security guards or police on there is not going to prevent it. You'd have to have security at least as good as they have at the airport. Is this realistic?

I think the guards on buses were intended more for more ordinary crimes like robbery and assault, not terrorist attacks.
    I agree with you in the respect that having airport level security to ride a public transit coach is unrealistic, and it is very difficult to prevent a CBRNE event from being carried out by a determined & crafty foe/adversary/terrorist. I mean really, if you are prepared to blow yourself up, do you really care about getting caught in the act? There have such events lately at well guarded military bases and on comercial airlines.
    The main point that I am trying to illustrate is that if there is "some" form of visible security in place, trained properly in respect to public transit security, they may be a deterent to the "ordinary" crimes as well as possibly being able to recognize & hopefully prevent any other types of events which I have desribed.