Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Maof- john "Torchey" Kennedy owns Irish Coffee. I guess any Irishman that has red hair is called "Torchey" !

I will be at Cals tomorrow around 2 pm

Call first. They might not be open early.

Diehard- Nikkis is right across the street. If Cals is closed, that's a good place to kill time. Ever been?

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    So, when exactly did Cal's move from East Warren to Harper? 80's or 90's? Anyone know for sure?
    I moved to Bedford 1985. It seems like Cal's moved 2 or 3 years later to Harper. I was rarely at the Harper restaurant.

Krypt-I lived 2 houses down from Barbies, back in 78, I think Cals moved to Harper around the same time

I discovered Cal's on Warren in the late 70s...Always thought their pizza and antipasto salad rivaled Buddy's or Shields...truly an eastside treasure. It will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Maof- john "Torchey" Kennedy owns Irish Coffee. I guess any Irishman that has red hair is called "Torchey" !
    I thought so but there's a story behind his nickname...my sister went to grade school with him.

Definitely call first if you're going out of your way to get there...
    I went over tonight and it was closed. Hours on the door say they are open from 8-2 during the week, so don't go over there early. Also, there were no signs promoting their last day of business, which I thought was odd. I hope they haven't packed it in already.

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Diehard- Nikkis is right across the street. If Cals is closed, that's a good place to kill time. Ever been?
    Yeah, I've had a cocktail or two there. Last time I went, though, it seemed sleazier. The bartender was complaining about how cold it was, and when she came out from behind the bar she was wearing a string bikini. It was probably 20 degrees that night. Stupid, and I don't need to see that crap. Just serve me a drink and let me watch the game. If I was looking for bimbos I'd go to Eight Mile.

I've had a lot of fun at Cal's, hanging with too-old for me softball players, and drinking underage
    Memories, oh those beautiful memories!

Well, I'll be. I just went past there and it was dark. They weren't answering the phone either. Hope this means they changed their minds, but who knows. I just want me one last pizza before it's all over.

That's too bad, used to hang there years ago when it was Pappy's bar, went through a few different configurations [[Irish bar for a bit, then country) until Cal's bought it from the old owner [[Bill?). He ended up opening a bar down in Ham-town.

I never had a Cal's pizza but if you want a good pizza[[basically the same as Cloverleaf, since both have the Gus Guerra influence) try Loui's on 9 1/2 & Dequindre.

Bluenote- do you remember Art, that was the doorman at Pappys?

pgn421,
    I used to work the door sometimes, but don't remember Art. Another doorman was Big Ron, he may have been there when it was Darby's...Anyone remember Priscilla or Kay behind the bar?

Art is short and stocky. Very good friends of the Barbers? Is that the last name of Pappys owners?

That was it! Bill Barber! Knew him well from the bar, for quite a few years. We didn't keep up with him much after he sold to Cal's and opened the bar in Hamtramck. I think I do remember Art- we used to stay near the bar area playing pool, so we were always near the door. We had a pool league that ran in the area bars on Sunday nights...went to Elam's, Guilford, Ebb Tide, Iroc [[when it first opened), First Place, Silvercup, Escapade, and many others through the years. Does Hearts On Fire ring a bell?

Bluenote-yes, Hearts On Fire!
    Art has The Hitching Post Inn in Elkton, Mich.
    Elkton is in the thumb area.
    Stop by there sometime if you are in the area.

I ued to go to the Cal's on E. Warren twice a month. I grew up around the corner. Always gave Buddy's a run for their money.

Default The Owner of Cal's Pizza - East Warren

To Everyone Who Posted:

I am the son of the former owner of Cal's Pizza on East Warren. While I was only a small child, I remember Cal's like I was there yesterday. Some of you may remember me, as I used to frequent the bar quite often with my mother in order to visit my dad while he worked.

My father and brother, both named Ray, used to make the Cal's pizzas everyone enjoyed so much. I found this forum by chance and cannot tell you all how proud it makes me to have been part of something that made so many people happy. For those who would still love to sink their teeth into a Cal's pizza, don't worry, the recipe is safe with me and I plan to use it!

A few years ago, our family began a new business: serving Metro Detroit. You can check out our new website at veryimportantparties.com, where you will find everything to help make your next event a memorable success! Mention that you read about us in the Cal's thread and you'll receive a discount of your choice!

Thank you to everyone who posted! On behalf of my family and my father, a special thank you to everyone who patronized Cal's Pizza on East Warren. Your business allowed for some of the best memories of my life!

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by milesdriven View Post
    Damn, used to walk there all the time. I guess it's the start of a downward spiral, if the smoking ban isn't amended Elam's, Guilford Bar, Nikki's Place, and First Place Lounge are sure to follow later this year.

Most business owners have not noticed any decline in business since the smoking ban passed. I really doubt that had anything to do with this, especially since you can't smoke anywhere now. It would perhaps be different if you had other options where you could still smoke that could take their business away, but that is not the case. If you want pizza, you'll get pizza.

This probably has more to do with that location being somewhere nobody wants to go any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal's View Post
    To Everyone Who Posted:

I am the son of the former owner of Cal's Pizza on East Warren. While I was only a small child, I remember Cal's like I was there yesterday. Some of you may remember me, as I used to frequent the bar quite often with my mother in order to visit my dad while he worked.

My father and brother, both named Ray, used to make the Cal's pizzas everyone enjoyed so much. I found this forum by chance and cannot tell you all how proud it makes me to have been part of something that made so many people happy. For those who would still love to sink their teeth into a Cal's pizza, don't worry, the recipe is safe with me and I plan to use it!

A few years ago, our family began a new business: serving Metro Detroit. You can check out our new website at veryimportantparties.com, where you will find everything to help make your next event a memorable success! Mention that you read about us in the Cal's thread and you'll receive a discount of your choice!

Thank you to everyone who posted! On behalf of my family and my father, a special thank you to everyone who patronized Cal's Pizza on East Warren. Your business allowed for some of the best memories of my life!

Ryan
    Trying to place who you are, as I am related to the owner of Cal's and do not remember you? I started my waitressing career at Cal's in 1978 did you say your father owned the business? Because the owner is my uncle and he has no children.

Busted, Ryan!

are they only carry out or is it sit-down at all?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast