Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Yep I'm not Rambo. I'd rather just have a conventional 12 gauge.

I may get a pump 20 for my wife because of the smaller kick and get a good old fashioned 2 shot side by side 12 gauge for myself.

Two shotguns in the house and a dog in the yard ought to discourage unwanted guests.

As I said before I am lucky enough to have abuddy outside of chicago who is an avid hunter. I can brush up on my target practice with him.

Cheers.

Come on people, this thread should not devolve into a discussion on guns.

As all urban areas are unique, so is Detroit. This isn't Nirvana but neither are our burbs. Sounds like you will embrace your new neighborhood and be a contributing factor in positive change. The movers and shakers around here are area non profits not city hall.

Cute little story, my Mom went to Clark Elementary when it was brand new. She was in the first kindergarden class. They did not have an auditorium so school plays and graduations were held at Defer in GPP.

The issue re. guns seems to be coming up, then fading on its own accord centering mostly about long arms for home protection which in my opinion would not exclude the 'burbs. It can be argued that gun ownership in Michigan and the tri-county area specifically is an aspect of the "local politic" indeed as expressed freely here.
    Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Come on people, this thread should not devolve into a discussion on guns.

As all urban areas are unique, so is Detroit. This isn't Nirvana but neither are our burbs. Sounds like you will embrace your new neighborhood and be a contributing factor in positive change. The movers and shakers around here are area non profits not city hall.

Cute little story, my Mom went to Clark Elementary when it was brand new. She was in the first kindergarden class. They did not have an auditorium so school plays and graduations were held at Defer in GPP.

softtail and mjcmex, do not confuse gauge and kick. plz refer to following graph:

Gauge, length [[oz. shot@MV) Gun weight [[lbs.) Recoil energy [[ft. lbs.).
    410 bore, 2.5" [[1/2 at 1200) 5.5 7.1.
    410 bore, 3" [[11/16 at 1135) 5.5 10.5
    28 gauge, 2.75" [[3/4 at 1200) 6.0 12.8
    20 gauge, 2.75" [[7/8 at 1200) 6.5 16.1
    20 gauge, 2.75" [[1 at 1220) 6.5 21.0
    20 gauge, 2.75" [[1 1/8 at 1175) 6.5 25.0
    20 gauge, 3" [[1 1/4 at 1185) 6.5 31.0
    16 gauge, 2.75" [[1 at 1220) 7.0 21.5
    16 gauge, 2.75" [[1 1/8 at 1240) 7.0 27.6
    12 gauge, 2.75" [[1 at 1180) 7.5 17.3
    12 gauge, 2.75" [[1 1/8 at 1200) 7.5 23.0
    12 gauge, 2.75" [[1 1/4 at 1330) 7.5 32.0
    12 gauge, 2.75" [[1 1/2 at 1260) 7.5 45.0
    12 gauge, 3" [[1 5/8 at 1280) 7.5 52.0
    12 gauge, 3" [[1 7/8 at 1210) 8.75 54.0
    10 gauge, 3.5" [[2 1/4 at 1210) 10.5 62.9

As you can see, you can get a 12 gauge shell with less kick than a 20, so the notion that gauge and kick are the same is dangerously incorrect. Best thing to do is to go to a target range and test your comfort zone. However, I will tell you in no uncertain terms a long gun in a small space is dangerous for the user.

On politics, please refer to the attached year in review with Detroit News reporter/personality/color commentary man Charley LeDuff:

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/multime...ex.php?id=3962

If the link dosen't work go to detnews.com and scroll down about half-way to the "editor's choice" click on 2009 the movie.
    Last edited by gnome; January-04-10 at 10:14 AM. Reason: sorry tried to fix formating

Guns are part of any political discussion. We should not forget that this country was founded on the right of citizens to ban together and raise arms against a tyrant. [[Imagine. England used to be a tyrant.) Now it would seem that the tyrant is a socio-policitcal force known as organized street crime. This is not a "Detroit problem" only. It exists here in Las Vegas as well.

Maybe a gauge chart is a bit too technical for some people but I get the impression that Gnome is just trying to assist me with something. Obviously it's a special interest of his. He certainly knows more about it than I do.

Sumas that is a very charming story about your mom and Clark Elementary.

I do intend to embrace the city and my neighborhood. The only way to effect positive change is to see the potential in what can be instead of worrying about what is.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2