Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

You could move. The contempt for education in southeastern Michigan, which is unlike anything I've ever encountered anywhere else, sometimes makes me want to leave as well. But the weather isn't a good reason. When I lived elsewhere I found I really missed the dramatic four seasons.

Retroit Guest

Won't it depend on where you can get a job? What are your degrees in, and what type of job do you want? [["...politics or business"?)

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Won't it depend on where you can get a job? What are your degrees in, and what type of job do you want? [["...politics or business"?)
    That is the beauty of an area like that. It is thriving with many opportunities, and if the shoe doesn't fit, there's always another one to try out. I have a BS in Finance, and will complete my second BS in Accounting this semester. I've applied to several graduate programs. I've always had a job in Detroit, even in the worst of economies, I'm sure I can always find work over there.

-Tahleel

Quote Originally Posted by tahleel View Post
    That is the beauty of an area like that. It is thriving with many opportunities, and if the shoe doesn't fit, there's always another one to try out. I have a BS in Finance, and will complete my second BS in Accounting this semester. I've applied to several graduate programs. I've always had a job in Detroit, even in the worst of economies, I'm sure I can always find work over there.
    Unless you're a skier or love snow, cold, ice, rain, and clouds for other reasons, there's only one reason for a person with those credentials to stay in Michigan, and that's the opportunity to make double or more the pay. The tradeoff for good weather is less money.

That said, it's a trade I made willingly and one I've never regretted. You see, what you have to remember is that making that extra Michigan money might allow you to save for retirement more quickly - BUT making the move and sacrificing the pay now allows you to ENJOY MORE OF YOUR LIFE RIGHT NOW [[unless you're a hermit who stays indoors and watches TV year 'round no matter what the weather).

I have a similar educational background to you, and moved to Arizona after being laid off from Chrysler. I found it next to impossible to get into the accounting field here - and that was in the 2001 economy, when presumably what we have today is even worse. Ultimately I wound up getting a second degree in a higher demand health care field. It doesn't pay what I made at Chrysler, but it is certainly enough to support a satisfactory lifestyle, But the most important part of all is that as a runner, bicyclist, and hiker, I can wake up on almost any day of the year and KNOW that I will be able to get out and do my activities without having to worry about getting rained on or frostbitten or shoveling snow or having a winter coat that's thick enough. [[It's almost impossible for a Michigander to fathom, but imagine, if you will, what it is like to just get dressed for a run or hike without even first looking out the window or listening to a weather forecast. I will never forget being at a meeting with my homeowner's association within a couple of months after moving in, when a party was being planned for a few months later. Thinking ahead, I suggested we plan for a "rain date" in case of bad weather [[a must in Michigan - but here in Arizona they all just laughed at me. Here we can almost just about KNOW it's going to be sunny!) After a month or two you'll wonder how you ever put up with the weather changing every five minutes. "Seasons" are great, but if you miss the snow you can always pop in a Christmas movie and if you miss the fall you can always buy some apple cider from Walmart and call up a youtube video of autumn leaves. Now - full disclosure - I am a heat nut. I am perfectly happy walking and running when it's 110 degrees - I just make sure to take lots of water with me. If you can't tolerate or don't like extreme heat, well, then, you'll be a prisoner to your climate-controlled house and June through September in Arizona would probably be just as unbearable to you as November through April in Michigan were to me.

The bottom line is it could well take you much longer to save up for retirement. You could very well wind up working for many more years than you originally planned. But the time between now and retirement is going to be of so much greater quality it will be well worth it. Being free of the Mushigan weather that takes away 60 percent or more of your potential leisure time is like adding that much more "retirement time" to your life - only you get it RIGHT NOW instead of having to wait until you're 67. Something to think about.
    Last edited by EMG; January-02-10 at 02:36 PM.

Gsgeorge and wolverine. Cities that have busy and accessible airports and seaports can be significant for several reasons. If I were to start, for example an import/export business like my uncles have in Georgia and New York, having this framework in place is key. Besides starting a new business, an accessible airport/seaport are factors that companies look for when starting new ventures, and can lead to growth of a community [[and furthermore jobs) as new companies develop or expand into the areas. With that being said, I know its not THE most import factor, but still something to consider.

Public transportation is not an important factor for me. Although I have ridden the bus for many years of my life, I've owned my own car since I've been able to drive. I can always see myself owning some form of transportation and not relying on public transportation alone. Been there, done that!

As far as my status, I have never been married, nor do I have any kids. But when the time does come, I want to already have been settled in my community and not constantly move from place to place. This one move, will be the BIG move. After this move, I do not plan on moving anywhere else the rest of my life.

I will definitely apply for jobs before I do go. I won't jump in with my eyes closed! I just need to know which area best suites me before I start applying for jobs in cities that I would not like.

-Tahleel