I've been a Detroiter [[proper) for over two decades. I've lived both within the city and the suburbs. I will soon graduate from Wayne State, holding two bachelor's degrees and I've been debating to move for the past year.

My parents made a wise decision to move to the Detroit area in the 80s due to the abundant jobs in the auto industry and great economy at the time. Now, they will both retire and want to go somewhere warmer, and so do I. I feel like not only will the warm weather be better for my happiness and enjoyment, but also for my physical and mental health. I feel like not only would it be a wise decision for me, and my parents, but also my future family who would be happier somewhere else besides Michigan.

There are so many reasons why I'd like to leave, which I will not go into because I want to keep this thread focused on the four areas listed below:

a.) Los Angeles area, California - Amazing weather. High in the 80s, low in the 60s, ALL YEAR ROUND! It is the biggest manufacturing center on the western side of America. It has amazing museums [[the DIA can't even hold a drop to LACMA), as well as a very diversified culture. Its also a key player in finance and trade [[largest seaport in western USA). I have some distant relatives here.

b.) Raleigh, North Carolina. Weather is warmer than Michigan. Many jobs available as well with companies that are growing. Low property taxes and great city services. I also have family here, which is a great plus.

c.) Atlanta, Georgia. Has one of the largest airports in the world. Warm weather and many jobs here as well. I have my closest uncles here and will help me with anything on a whim.

d.) Orlando or Miami, Florida. I will bunch both of these together, although I know that in some aspects they are very different. My parents want to move here for some odd reason, of all places. They say its close to my other family in NC and GA, but far enough to keep our distance.

There are several reasons why I want to stay though. Detroit is where I was born and raised. I have many great friends and connections here that I would lose if I were to move. More so, I would feel like I would lose all my roots if I were to move elsewhere. I also understand all the laws, and have been accustomed to the "system." I feel like if I were ever to pursue a career in politics or business, I would do well because of the people I know. I've spoken to friends who have moved out of the area and they all said you need to do what's best for you. I sometimes feel like if I can weather this storm, I would have many bright days to come. But then again, there are factors that I cannot change or are bigger than me: the climate, the racial division, high taxes, and etc.

Any advice, tips, and info is welcome!

-Tahleel