Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Whitehouse, I had forgotten that you live in Holland until I read the Happy New Year thread.

Since you're in Holland, what are the pluses and minuses of the CastleCondos? In the photos I was able to find, I rarely saw any people in the pics. what gives? Did someone build those things and everyone stayed away or are the Dutch camera shy?

Even in the aerial pics I see cars but no people? what gives?

Gnome, those people were all standing behind the cameraman, looking at him doing his work.

I think the plusses outweigh the minusses.

On the plusside I think it's evident that there is a lot of open space that is not lost to building houses. The houses are build on a confined plot. As you can see on the pictures the cars are out of sight. Sometimes underground, sometimes on an inner court.
    Criminal activity you can't compare to Detroit. Detroit has a longer history with neighbourhood criminals, and let's face it, the living standard is a bit higher over here. Also, the Netherlands is not a country that's purely centered around the car. A project developer would shoot himself in the foot if there were no bycicle paths, which is a major form of transport.

An other thing, this kind of living sets it apart from standard living in a terraced house. In a way you can see this as a kind of retro building, although there never was a livingform like this before.

A minus would be that it's not so cheap to buy something like that.

Another plus: it's winter and now you can do this!

Another form of this kind of building is going completely retro and mimicking old city centers, like they did in a suburb of the city of Amersfoort.

Even in Amsterdam, a city known for it's canals, they more or less did the same. It nicely blends in the old city even though that's about 2 miles away.

And if you don't see that many peolpe on, these places are mostly lived it be people commuting to work. But trust me, the demand is high for this kind of living.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; January-01-10 at 09:16 AM.

Gnome, I don't have personal experience with Atlantic Station. I was just reading about it and became intrigued. It is a development made up of office, retail, and residential units on the site of a former steel foundry on approximately 140 acres in Atlanta. It includes a Dillard's department store, an IKEA, a Target, several national food chains, a multiscreen movie complex, and lots of underground parking, like under the Target store. There are a few office towers. Wachovia is in one of the towers I believe. The history of how Atlantic Station came to be is fascinating. I once started a thread a few years back titled, "Where is Detroit's Atlantic Station?" No one responded. This still seems to be a development that most DetroitYes! forumers either have no interest in or knowledge of. Personally, I feel that the east riverfront would be a good location for a development like this. Gnome, if it piqued your curiosity, maybe it will pique others here as well. Thanks for asking.

Lowell, can you tell me why every time I put something in "quotations" I get this, ".

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Lowell, can you tell me why every time I put something in "quotations" I get this, ".
    What did you do to prevent it from happening in the above quoted post? What browser are you using? If you're composing your posts in a separate word processor, which word processor are you using?
    Last edited by Jimaz; January-01-10 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    What did you do to prevent it from happening in the above quoted post? What browser are you using? If you're composing your posts in a separate word processor, which word processor are you using?
    That's the HTML code for "curly" or "smart" quotes. Use straight quotes only and you will not see that.

This is a very funny debate, considering Detroit's condition. I would be happy with someone investing money to redevelop any land in the city, whether it was shaped like a donut or a bunt cake.

Bundt cake, JL. Bundt cake ...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Bundt cake, JL. Bundt cake ...
    Ah, that seems like a waste of good consonants. BTW the forum is totally screwed up when I go to post:

Yeah, me too. I just scroll a bit to the right and it's all there.

Retroit Guest

Scroll down and you'll see why.

[[They have long donuts in Amersfoort.)
    Last edited by Retroit; January-04-10 at 02:59 PM.

I'd say the Texas Donut sure beats the Detroit Burnt Out Ruin!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    This is a very funny debate, considering Detroit's condition. I would be happy with someone investing money to redevelop any land in the city, whether it was shaped like a donut or a bunt cake.

I'd prefer a 7 Up cake type development myself but thats just me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    I'd prefer a 7 Up cake type development myself but thats just me.....
    Maybe a Sander's Bumpy Cake development would be more appropriate for Detroit.

What's interesting is that I'll type something with the quotes and look at the preview before posting and it's OK. However, once it's submitted the " shows up. BTW what do you mean by straight quotes?

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    What's interesting is that I'll type something with the quotes and look at the preview before posting and it's OK. However, once it's submitted the " shows up. BTW what do you mean by straight quotes?
    OK, it's like this. "Straight quotes" are like what you see here. Two straight lines denoting the double quotation marks. But the other quotes are "smart" or "curly." The first quote [[or "open" quote) curls slightly to denote that it is the first quote. The end quote [[or "close" quote) curls slightly in the other direction to denote that it is the end quote.

In the old days, only typesetters or linotype/multigraph operators had access to curly quotes, and straight quotes were all you had on a typewriter.

Basically, if you don't want to see those quotes, and still want to keep composing your posts in WORD, go to TOOLS, pull down to AUTOCORRECT and click on the tab AUTOFORMAT AS YOU TYPE. Then deselect smart quotes under REPLACE AS YOU TYPE.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3