Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

lilpup Guest

Cities ought to start suing Forbes et. al. for the damage caused by some of the BS they publish.

Mr. "chief"'s comment about pollen as a significant part of air pollution in cities is unconvincing to me. And I'm not comforted by the thought that some of those tons of waste are being recycled or "properly" disposed of since organized crime has been a big part of the waste disposal industry.
    But maybe you'd prefer the Am.Lung Assoc.'s top polluted cities list where Detroit placed ninth in year-round particle pollution. I didn't know Detroit, Warren , and Flint had that much industry left.
    http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/28/pol...hisSpeed=15000

Default Pollution has no borders

Pollution, and therefore carbon, has no borders. There are no factories in the Arctic, yet the polar ice cap is melting. There are no factories in the parts of Africa that are experiencing unprecidented drought and famine, yet fresh water continues to vanish.

Imagine a place such as Las Vegas, where very few factories exist. Does this make Las Vegas a cleaner, healthier place? Does it make it more sustainable? Las Vegas is a city where everything is imported from other regions. Water, food, fuel, everything is brought into the city from afar. The plush green golf courses are surrounded by the reality of the desert.

Or Dubai which produces none of its own food, where the glimmering skycrappers are products of fossile fuels that are pumped up from the ground and sold across the world, further fueling global warming.

How long can this model go on? How long can growth go on? In capitalism, there is no limit, but in nature the limits are closer than we once thought. We are now witnessing the limits of our economic growth, the limits of our economic model. But capitalism has no intention of changing. There is no compromise to growth. If capitalism can not be reformed, it must be abolished.

I think we will soon see that the model cities and suburbs that we're once thought of as progressive-once thought of as a step up from the old dirty inner cities- will collapse under their own weight. What appears to be clean on the surface is really much more dirty.

Michigan is surrounded by freshwater in a temerate climate, and not severely threatened by the worst affects of climate change [[extreme heat, sea level rising, drought, etc). I'd like it is more sustainable to live here than many places.
    Last edited by casscorridor; January-03-10 at 05:19 PM. Reason: mistake

Retroit Guest

Do you think there was no pollution in the USSR?