Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Michael M. Dixon, "When Detroit rode the Waves", Mervue Publications, 2001, has quite a bit of the history and pictures of the Detroit River, St Clair Flats, and St Clair River steamers. Of particular note was the Detroit & Windsor Ferry Company which changed its name to the Detroit, Belle Isle, & Windsor Ferry Company after the city opened Belle Isle [[Hog Island) as a recreation area.

My parents met each other on a Central High School cruise on the Tashmoo.

From the site:

Join the BobLo Boat Restoration team at the 4th annual Stars & Stripes Festival Friday, July 2 through Monday, July 5, 2010 in Downtown Mount Clemens. The 2010 Stars & Stripes Festival will consist of world-class recording artists each night, as well as the hottest regional and local acts performing on four different stages throughout the downtown area. This year National music performances include:
    The Rockets, John Waite, Love & Theft and Dirty Americans-Friday, July 2nd, Vince Neil, Fuel, Pistol Day Parade, Critical Bill & Hush-Saturday, July 3rd, Warrant, John Michael Montgomery & Apache Stone featuring Mike Lombardi from the Hit TV Show “Rescue Me”-Sunday, July 4th, and Jason Derulo on Sunday, July 5th. There is NO ADMISSION CHARGE and the live entertainment will encompass a wide variety of musical styles. The 2009 Stars & Stripes Festival drew over 400,000 people and we anticipate far exceeding that number this year.

Mr Lee Online Presentations is pretty anal about copyright issues so there.

[[Deleted....)

Maybe someone could make a photo blog post of that.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; May-16-10 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    From the site:

Mr Lee Online Presentations is pretty anal about copyright issues so there.

[[Asshole....)

Maybe someone could make a photo blog post of that.
    I'm not sure how the configuration of this website makes the owner "anal" or an "asshole"?

When you joined DetroitYes, you accepted and agreed to multiple terms and conditions.
    One of which was:
    7-Pictures, text or any content that you post must be your property or permitted for posting by the contents' owners or fall under fair use acceptability. If you post content taken from a permitted outside source, it must be credited to the owners by name and link, if one exists. Posts using non-permitted content will be removed without notice or explanation upon discovery. Making such posts can result in immediate termination of posting rights without notice or explanation. AtDetroit reserves the right to quote and use content posted on the forums in its own publications and communications without reservation.
    end of quote

Okay. Maybe I was a bit harsh in my wording. I guess it's my Dutch habit of writing a little more expressive. [[On Dutch radio and TV for instance nobody bothers if you use the words p****, f*** etc. and those words are never censored. George Carlin would be right at home over here I did censor them.) But if no one is allowed to repost anything, you might as well close the internet. I know many people don't like it when their fruits are posted on other sites but this label is a bit on the other side of the spectrum.

Anyway, how would you have known about that event going on beginning of July without me reposting it?

2cents.

That reminds me of an item in this month's Harper's Index:
    Number of online subscribers to Newday three months after the publication imposed a $5-per-week paywall: 35
    It's not as if they weren't warned that would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    That reminds me of an item in this month's Harper's Index: It's not as if they weren't warned that would happen.
    My point exactly. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. It's a balancing act for the written press. On one hand generate revenue, on the other try to maintain your reader base.

[[The Bob-Lo site is a free site to read, so the comparison goes a bit crooked. And returning a riverboat to restored status is a well worth cause.)

Okay. Maybe I was a bit harsh in my wording. I guess it's my Dutch habit of writing a little more expressive. [[On Dutch radio and TV for instance nobody bothers if you use the words p****, f*** etc. and those words are never censored. George Carlin would be right at home over here I did censor them.) But if no one is allowed to repost anything, you might as well close the internet. I know many people don't like it when their fruits are posted on other sites but this label is a bit on the other side of the spectrum.
    The issue is not about your choice of words, it's about your actions that demonstrate a lack of "netiquette" and a blatant disregard for the property rights of others.

A few months ago you "hotlinked" an image from my website and used my server bandwidth to display an image within this posting that you made on this forum. Not only did you steal from me, you didn't even give me a credit when you posted my image. I politely mentioned your "faux pas" later in that thread, but I notice that even in this thread, you continue to hotlink images from other websites, only now you are masking the source URL by using a "tinyurl".

Your "if no one is allowed to repost anything, you might as well close the internet" comment is pure bullshit. If you want to share something you've found elsewhere on the Internet, all you have to do is provide a link to it.

You sir, are the one who is being an asshole.

You are right. I should have given credit. No doubt about it. Sorry. And most of the time I use Tinyurl to post pics or screenshots.

[[And I already explained the use of that word. And deleted it.)

And most of the time I use Tinyurl to post pics or screenshots.
    It sound to me like you still don't understand the correct way to use an image that is located on a server that does not belong to you. If the image is not copyright-protected and you want to embed it in your post, you should save the image to your computer and then either upload it with your DYes post or upload it to your Picasa album and use its URL in the "upload file from a URL" window. Inserting the picture owner's URL into that window without their permission constitutes hotlinking and you are making the picture owner pay for the bandwidth required to display that image every time the thread is opened. Failing to provide a credit is just adding a little salt into the wound.

Hotlinking is the reason why you seldom see unprotected, high-resolution images on the Internet. I've scanned and uploaded to my web server more than 160 MB worth of old Detroit hi-res photos that are available exclusively to viewers of this forum. I've done this knowing full-well the risks of hotlinking, but I never thought that the hotlinkers would include members of this forum.

Call me anal if you want, but I'm the one who is paying the monthly bill to make those images available and if you abuse my generosity, I'm perfectly within my rights to register a complaint - and if it continues, to protect or take them down.

To provide support for Mikeg's explanation of hotlinking is the following explanation of "inline linking"
    Last edited by wilderness; May-16-10 at 11:57 PM.

I wasn't going to add this out of caution of hijacking the thread and veering off-topic.
    <br/></br>
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    But if no one is allowed to repost anything, you might as well close the internet. I know many people don't like it when their fruits are posted on other sites but this label is a bit on the other side of the spectrum.

Anyway, how would you have known about that event going on beginning of July without me reposting it?

2cents.
    "fair use" allows an excerpt of copyrighted material to be used.
    <br/></br>
    EX:
    <br/></br>
    An excerpt from bobloboat.com [br][br]
    "Join the BobLo Boat Restoration team at the 4th annual Stars & Stripes Festival Friday, July 2 through Monday, July 5, 2010 in Downtown Mount Clemens. The 2010 Stars & Stripes Festival will consist of world-class recording artists each night, as well as the hottest regional and local acts performing on four different stages throughout the downtown area. This year National music performances include: "
    <br/></br>
    end of quote
    <br/></br>
    Even though the above "fair use" exceeeds the "user agreement" of DetroitYes, it's perfectly acceptable use across both the internet and in the publishing world.
    <br/></br>
    On the other hand creating a snaphot of the page contents violates "fair use". Many major Search engine robots are navigating the web without identifying themselves as the same search engine robots that index pages and content, with their sole purpose being to create snapshots/thumbnails of web pages.
    <br/></br>
    BTW, I do have to agree that the Java limitations [[easily overcome by turning Java OFF in your browser) and the imposing banner-pop-up are childish. A more effective tactic by the webmaster would be to either deny the visitor for future access or refresh the current page and redirect the visitor to a TOS page, all under the premise of viewing the initial page. Course the later would require some real effort and understanding of server-side issues by the webmaster
    <br/></br>
    Websites have a diversity of issues and policies. The internet as a whole is a multi-tiered structure composed of "the open access internet", "extranet", a combination of the "open access internet and a closed network; an "intranet", which is a closed and/or subscription based access to a network that functions as same on the open-interent. <br/></br>
    There are millions, and perhaps billions that do not understand or even accept the distinctions above, however some countries [[see China and Google) even offer limitations upon what their citizens view.

Great thread, great posts and great pics. Thanks to all of you.

Default Great Ferry Pictures

Thanks to those who posted the ferry pictures. If you have time would you consider also posting them to

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com

There is a category for lake vessels

Regards

Florida Fred

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2