Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Several of the buildings are historically significant-- the station, the Charlevoix, the Metropolitan.
    Gonna have to disagree with you on the Charlevoix, GG. Even if it were more historically significant, it is definitely beyond saving. I'm a firm believer in preservation, but I also believe you need to do triage when looking at saving buildings. The Charlevoix is a soldier down who I'd leave behind.

Half the homes that were renovated in Brush Park were "beyond saving".

Royce doesn't understand that the old buildings are the best thing Detroit has. The architecture where I live in Texas is boring at best. Without the old buildings and great architecture what does Detroit have to attract people?

A Low Taxes
    B Nice weather
    C Safe streets

keep the buildings - make assessments based on sale price not what the fixed up value was in 2006 and Detroit has a chance for revival. Paying $2000 a year tax on a $2k house won't cut it either.

I guess this would be good, Temple isn't a very pretty ride.
    Still, this is another historic building not preserved by the city of Detroit.

The two buildings for years was the home of Storer-Spellman Photographers, which was one of the oldest commercial and private photographers in Detroit. They relocated to that spot after their prrevious building at Woodward and Warren was demolished for the widening of Warren Ave. and the building of the Episcopal Chancery next to St. Paul's Cathedral circa 1960.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2