Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by DLN View Post
    Restoration is a bit of a misnomer, when there is extensive damage, modern building codes will apply. So a lot of the charm of the old building will be gone, water does more damage than fire. i.e. plaster walls and such.
    Yes, but I'm guessing this building was insured for fire damage. Isn't it the insurance company's responsibility to bring it back to a habitable condition with all its charm to what it was before the fire?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    Yes, but I'm guessing this building was insured for fire damage. Isn't it the insurance company's responsibility to bring it back to a habitable condition with all its charm to what it was before the fire?
    Yeah, but I think it was ruled an arson, which may or may not be a rider on the policy [[and how expensive would arson insurance in Detroit cost in 2008?). I'm also wondering why there would be a mix of public/private dollars for a "renovation" if the building was insured in the first place.

I lived on the 4th floor [[North side) in 1998 and 1999. I'll never forget the frantic phone call from my mother after that professor was murdered during exams at Old Main.

Some insurance companies will skimp when they can... so long as they are within a micron of code. And for sure they will not use original plaster. Drywall all the way. Often they ditch the boilers and old iron radiators for forced air furnaces that are more fuel efficient. Though there was something sorta quaint about the banging and hissing of the radiators in those buildings!
    Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post

I saw this building go up in flames right in front of my eyes from my apartment building. I woke up to my mom's phone calls in the morning. Can't remember the time, but I went out the previous night so I really wasn't up for talking.

At the time, I lived in an apartment behind the Bronx, across Marcus's Market, kiddy-corner from the Forest Arms. I could feel the heat from behind my closed apartment window, in winter!

My uncle and his family lived in that building. I left my apartment frantically looking for them in the crowds that were outside. I wasn't wearing a coat, but it was so hot from the fire, I didn't need one. I got a call from my mom at around 10 am saying that my uncle and his family were safe at the Red Cross building.

My uncle said that the manager banged on his door yelling fire. My uncle grabbed his keys, wallet, wife and kids, and took off. They lost everything else.

-Tahleel

Wow! What was the the cause of the fire?
    Quote Originally Posted by tahleel View Post
    I saw this building go up in flames right in front of my eyes from my apartment building. I woke up to my mom's phone calls in the morning. Can't remember the time, but I went out the previous night so I really wasn't up for talking.

At the time, I lived in an apartment behind the Bronx, across Marcus's Market, kiddy-corner from the Forest Arms. I could feel the heat from behind my closed apartment window, in winter!

My uncle and his family lived in that building. I left my apartment frantically looking for them in the crowds that were outside. I wasn't wearing a coat, but it was so hot from the fire, I didn't need one. I got a call from my mom at around 10 am saying that my uncle and his family were safe at the Red Cross building.

My uncle said that the manager banged on his door yelling fire. My uncle grabbed his keys, wallet, wife and kids, and took off. They lost everything else.

-Tahleel