Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ahhh... you bring back good memories here. I still remember my colleagues and I actually saving up enough money off of pop cans to go to Alma's and buy a near top of the line Bang & Olaufson receiver back in the early 90's [[I can't recall the brand of speakers we got but they were equally as high end). We actually asked the Coca Cola distributor guy if we could have one of those tall boxes and the bags they used for picking up the returnables. At lunch we'd make the dash over there to Alma's and look at the gorgeous wall of high end electronic equipment. We'd try different speakers, try out the different accessories and just try to listen to all of the subtle nuances.

Oh to be that young and a caring audiophile again!

But yes, it was a great era to be in because there were smart savvy salespeople that knew what they were talking about. Sound quality meant something. I don't mean to slam the current MP3s or anything at all because they're so functional and easy to carry around, but when it comes to a solid audio experience in a room, the choices back then were amazing.

I still remember going to the Hudson's Warehouse sales downtown where I picked up some amazing audio equipment for my home use. Ahh, to think of Hudson's again. But even prior to, I had read up on my choices through my Crutchfield catalogs so I had somewhat of an idea as to what I was getting. Yes, label me a geek from that era but I did care about my music.

And it still brings a slight tear to my eye when I see the old Highland Appliance letters on the west side of Woodward in Highland Park. That gorgeous towering script that just speaks of washers, dryers, appliances galore, and a stereo room in the back. Gone are those funny commercials speaking of "The Electronic Thing". Gone is Ollie Fretter and his five pounds of coffee- only to be replaced by Gordy, who has his own charming appeal to hawking appliances.

Good memories. Thanks again.

That was SOME heavy-ass soda drinking...they didn't have anything in their lineup less than $2500 back then...fucking wow.

But THAT is the passion I'm talking about...what I'd love to fan into flames again.

I've caught mine again...only noticing it when I was talking with my Grand Rapids client's wife and daughter...after I noticed the third room full of gear and realized they were another hifi addict's enablers and comforters.

A great hifi is like being able to fully engage your favorite performers playing your favorite music any time you'd like...music is SO fundamental to life. It is almost a damn shame that audio had to go through that shotgun marriage to video.

People who've only listened through their computers never really get involved the way great recordings through a decent hifi setup properly allow.

MP3 is the high-fructose corn syrup of music...fake and merely the sickly illusion of enjoyment.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    EastsideQT, the owner of Good Housekeeping Shops, Bill Touscany, was my uncle. He and his Dad built the business up to 15 or so Metro Detroit stores. Bill was an extremely generous and classy guy. He was the anti-Ollie Fretter---no interest in being in the limelight or spokesperson, as he felt it was the employees who made the company. GHS was the first appliance store back in the 1920s to offer purchases on credit.

In a reversal of most Detroit area retailers, as competition intensified, the suburban stores closed first and the downtown store on Library behind Hudson's was the last one to be shuttered. He really believed in supporting Detroit and moved from his house on the Detroit Country Club in GPF into a condo downtown in the 1980s
    Yes I remember Bill Touscany well...Good Housekeeping was a great place to work...he hired a lot of high school kids to work there after school...and most of us, including me, were hired full-time after we graduated and we were all promoted from file clerks to clerk typists. He also let us use him as a reference when we made our first purchase [[class rings) on credit at Meyer's Jewelry. I have a lot of fond memories about working there.
    Last edited by EastsideQT; December-22-09 at 02:58 PM.

There was a place called Bruno's on the east side, next door to the Wrigley's drug on Harper just northeast of Cadieux. I've heard rumors that they sold "hot" merchandise!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    That was SOME heavy-ass soda drinking...they didn't have anything in their lineup less than $2500 back then...fucking wow.
    With a crew of about 10-15 people every day tossing in about two to three cans a day adds up pretty quickly. Afterwards we all still chipped in a few extra bucks on our own part to raise that sort of cash. Seeing as how we were pretty much anchored to our desks working, having a great sound system made the work scenario that much better.

That is real dedication and enthusiasm...who ended up with this system?!

That may be the most amazing story I've ever heard, in twenty-eight years in the business...you've added another dimension to the INsanity of the AudioVideo world.

Previous bests were a fellow in LA who owned a system worth double the house he was renting...and a guy up in Flint who put his $90,000 Wilsons in the rear channels of his surround sound system when the $130,000 flagships were introduced.

I like your story best, though, because it involved selfless collaboration towards a better whole...the sorta thing that would make Cc stay up at night in fear!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    There was a place called Bruno's on the east side, next door to the Wrigley's drug on Harper just northeast of Cadieux. I've heard rumors that they sold "hot" merchandise!
    I can't speak for the "hotness" of the merchandise, except for the new GE range we bought from that store in 1992, right before we got hitched. Put it inot our house on Bedford just off Warren. Wonder if it's still there? The range, that is.

Gannon, I don't know the Bill Siebert you are referring to. Another Bill[[y) Siebert was a debate partner of mine in high school, but he was probably about a third the size of they guy you mentioned.

Heh, nah...these folks were Hessian warriors. Built big for a mercenarial purpose.

Bill had the mother of all McIntosh systems...and patterned his son into the business.

Cheers

There was also Westgate Appliance on Fort Street in Wyandotte, north of Vinewood.

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    EastsideQT, the owner of Good Housekeeping Shops, Bill Touscany, was my uncle. He and his Dad built the business up to 15 or so Metro Detroit stores. Bill was an extremely generous and classy guy. He was the anti-Ollie Fretter---no interest in being in the limelight or spokesperson, as he felt it was the employees who made the company. GHS was the first appliance store back in the 1920s to offer purchases on credit.

In a reversal of most Detroit area retailers, as competition intensified, the suburban stores closed first and the downtown store on Library behind Hudson's was the last one to be shuttered. He really believed in supporting Detroit and moved from his house on the Detroit Country Club in GPF into a condo downtown in the 1980s
    One of the shops was in the Lincoln Park Plaza at Fort and Emmons.

Gannon, I don't remeber the name of the rep who sold those things to me. He was the brother-in-law of a friend of mine and was very thrilled when I bought so much stuff, so I suspect he wasn't the manager.

The Bozaks were the best sounding speakers I could afford at the time. I was later interested in a pair of Klipsch, but never got them.

VicD, the speakers are Bozak Century [[model 302, I think). They're currently undercover in my garage as this house just isn't suited for them.
    Last edited by jiminnm; December-22-09 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Gannon, I have a Magnavox CD player which, right from the time of its acquisition around 20 years ago, always served me well. Absolutely no problems.
    Then, one day, it just... stopped working. I have no idea what is wrong. I do know that I had accidentally left it "on," for quite a while, before attempting to use it and finding it to be disabled.
    Do you know of a place, in the NW Detroit/Dearborn area, that might fix 'er up for me without trying to seize an opportunity to rip me off over a problem which is, probably, minor? I don't think Alma's is still in business.

Alma's is closed. I pass by the building all the time. Not sure when it closed.

Ravine Guest

Thanks, Gannon. Sorry it took so long for me to get back here.

Almas in DEARBORN, the original location, closed during that extensive construction on Michigan Avenue many years ago.

The WOODWARD AVENUE location is the one that was merely temporarily closed, due government interference with business, which they subsequently cleared up.

ALMA'S HIFI AND STEREO IN ROYAL OAK IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS, and is one of the few real and true hifi stores run by enthusiasts remaining open in this state.

Sorry for the screaming, but I could not stand to have a friend's business maligned with misinformation.

Reading this made me think of a store called "Lucky Lindy" Berrys or something like that. The only one I remember was on Joy Rd and Inkster.Good Housekeeping, Highland, Fretters, and the Dearborn Almas bring back memories.
    Being on the net is the highest tech I get.My "Gramps" is into the higher end audio stuff having every issue of the Absolute Sound. Having worked in the Plymouth/Farmington area he told me there was an audio store on the strip mall on the S/E corner.Which is now a bingo hall.Also there is/ was a ghost sign of a HI-FI dealer on the side of the building at 8&GrandRiver.From the stuff on it, it all now looks like garage sound systems.

Ravine Guest

Well anyway, the advice was helpful, Gannon; thanks again. The Alma's I meant was the one on Michigan near Greenfield. I didn't even know that there were others.
    Your mention of B & O brought back memories of my brother's turntable. He was quite the hi-fi equipment enthusiast; he had some shit that seemed absolutely unnecessary, given the fact that he was living in an upstairs flat that had a fairly smallish living room. [[For instance, the Dalquist speakers that were only slightly smaller than a garage door, and about that thick, too, as a matter of fact.)
    However, of all the stuff I saw him buy, add to, sell off, replace and juggle, my personal favorite was the B & O turntable, which was only a few inches high, generally "minimalist" in styling... and the top of which you could give a good solid rap, with your hand, without causing the stylus to jump at all.
    Last edited by Ravine; December-23-09 at 05:16 AM.

The Alma's on Woodward did a wonderful job installing the home video system I bought from them a few years ago. If I ever needed a new one, I don't think I'd even look anywhere else. Highest reccommendation from a very satisfied customer.

Ravine,

Yeah, in my enthusiasm I missed your 'near west side' disclaimer.

Those B&O turntable suspension demos were so good, everyone who bought one showed it off to everyone who would watch it! Everything they did was fully over-engineered and some of the highest performance available...but they suffered what we called the Loni Anderson syndrome, it all looked SO good people assumed there was no substance underneath!

Jim and his crew are some of the best in town, Vic. Their neighbors up the street wish they had as much authenticity and depth of character.

Only other hifi store in town is Harry's Audio Dimensions down the street, but it seems he still only wants to serve those who listen solely to chamber music!

Gramophone is gone [[finally), they were [[and AV Alternatives and AV System are) run by megalomaniacs who are not interested in serving the passions of folks...they only focus on the money.

Money before people.

Jim and his team are people oriented, so I will do what I can to help them survive.

Cheers

Ah, yes - Highland Appliance. Worked undercover there back in the day as they had a massive theft and gambling ring operating in the stores and warehouse. Also, the employees didn't sell what the customer wanted or needed, they pushed whatever item had the biggest spiff. The "rain check" scam was also a hoot - Of course, the "sold out" item was never restocked and the poor sap usually settled for something [[surprise) more expensive after a few futile trips back to the store in search of the original item. No wonder they went under as they pissed off many a customer in addition to be stolen blind.........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2