Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by tallboy66 View Post
    When? Besides what GM did with the riverfront which is fine and dandy but what about the rest of the way up Woodward, Gratiot, the Lodge?
    Tell me that at least the incinerator has stopped operating?
    The incerator has continued operating but the question you pose implies you have no understanding why.
    When the city tried to have it shut down the company that operates it [[see below) threatened a severe lawsuit. The city reviewed the contract and determined that they would be liable for millions.

So to answer your question: Yes, it operates. To fault the city at present time is either done out of ignorance or devoid of facts.

Throw enough shit or silly questions on the wall and a few will stick.

If you are really concerned about the incinerator [[which I doubt you are) please contact the company that runs it and is fighting any efforts of the city to shut it down. Let meknow how that conversation goes. I'm sure you can change their mind:

http://www.covantaholding.com/site/l...-michigan.html

Covanta Holding Corporation
    40 Lane Road
    Fairfield, NJ 07004
    Last edited by jt1; December-25-09 at 01:08 AM.

Default truth

"It would better the city if people stopped being offended about the facts and started seriously doing something about it."

This statement is so true. If you mention anything negative about the city which is usually the truth, i.e. crime, racism [[from BOTH sides), blight etc on this forum you get jumped on and blasted for saying the truth. Detroit is in terrible shape and is one of the hardest cities in the world to live in. Dont say I didnt try and stay and help because I did, but just how much do you put up with before its time to get the hell out of dodge? The facts are the facts, if they offend you I'm sorry. I love Detroit, but I know from experience its almost impossible to live there without being a victum of crime. There is nothing more I would like than to be able to live in my home city without worrying about someone breaking in on you and killing you , stealing/vandelizing your car, or getting a gun stuck in your face and robbed [[happened 3 times to me).

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    I thought this was quite pertinent:

"It would better the city if people stopped being offended about the facts and started seriously doing something about it."

Regardless of where someone lives you can't argue this fact.

Well you can argue it but that would just make you just dumb.

Lorax, you mean it isn't the thieves, murderers, liars that live there? The evil corps are to blame? Give me a break! No one forces anyone to rob anyone else and until your scapegoating stops Detroit will continue to be a cesspool with few viable places to live.
    Last edited by GOAT; December-30-09 at 12:30 PM. Reason: forgot to add

Default Just a thought [[rumor/reality?) in improving Metro Detroit

This is not a bashing of the city that I love, but only a possible idea/solution to the issues that are plaguing the area. I was born and raised in Detroit; I currently live in Cincinnati and I'm trying to start up a ''rumor'' and make it become a reality. With all the recent corruption that has affected the local municipal governments in Detroit AND other cities/suburbs recently, maybe we could have ONE-UNIFIED Government similar to what cities like Indianapolis, Louisville, Jacksonville and Charlotte has done. Also by doing this the population of Detroit would increased to over a million- 1.9 million to be exact. [[Merge Detroit and Wayne-County together) By forming this and making a huge metropolis in the SE Michigan area I think long-term alot of money could be saved. More Police officers could be on the street by this merger, which hopefully [[over time) the crime would go down in the new Detroit-Greater and also Detroit-Inner [[current Detroit) areas. The only issue this could be is with the current Detroit schools-system. [[Look to Indianapolis as reference/resolution) But alot of good could come of this if first people like you and me- all the way up to the government officials can come together and talk about this as adults, and not scream at each other like another healthcare debate in a 'Town-Hall meeting.' Race should also not be involved in this discussion either- as this has been holding the Metro area from truly improving for soo long. Also- could we look into the idea of possibly transforming the Campus-Martius/Cadillac-Square area to resemble Times-Square in NYC? This could bring soo much-needed business back Downtown as we all know ADVERTISMENT SPURS BUSINESS! Put 2-3 Huge Jumbotrons on the west-side of the Cadillac Tower Downtown, that would be such a beautiful sight indeed![[Just imagine it!) Also, since we have embraced the idea of having/being the "Las Vegas of the Midwest", how about putting more strobe-lights/outlining lights on our Downtown skyscrapers at night! That would draw more people downtown.[[Along with the Red Wings getting back to their winning ways) We should really get this idea brewing, hopefully this can get the people of SE Michigan really supporting this ''rumor'' and making this talk/idea become a reality- thank you.

smudge pot Guest

Varner, happy new year! As far as all this consolidation stuff goes, I think Sean of Windsor brought this up a while back. In fact, as I recall, it may have become one of our "Hall of Suck" threads. Anyhow, we're not going to save the world tonight, it will still be here tomorrow. To your health! Bottoms up! Glug-glug-glug.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    LOL!!!

We can, however, blame Rethuglicans in charge at the state and national level for the situation Detroit now finds itself in, a slow drip of fascist agendas starting with Reagan, and ending with the Bush Crime Family and current collapsed state of our economy.

Rich, white, Rethuglican run corporations thought union busting and off-shoring their workforces was preferable to sustaining AMERICANS in their jobs and homes.

Yeah, it's OK to blame the local corrupt politicos, but they learned from the best!
    Really rather silly, partisan politics at the municipal level. Back in the forties and fifties, the mayor and council were elected on a non-partisan ballot.

Detroit was heading into the crapper when the auto companies and the rest of Michigan were booming under Kennedy and Johnson and later under Reagan. Oakland County was one of the five fastest growing counties in the US. Free trade was a progressive ideal [[only plutocrats wanted protectionism). Michigan's problems are related to the latest recession. Detroit would have the same problems even if all of the auto companies started growing like mad again.

I have a newbie sports/economic question to ask?

How is it that Detroit supports professional 4 sports teams: Redwings, Pistons, Tigers, and [[cough) Lions, and yet still has such economic woes.

Vegas has more people and more money than Detriot, yet no sports team is ever started here because "the economy won't support it".

As for the idea of combining metropolitan areas: Hmmm...on one hand I like it because I don't even live in Detroit yet but I have already paid property taxes for half a year. I'd like some assistance with that from the suburbs. On the other hand won't the suburban towns complain because they don't want to have anything to do with the Detroit School District and other city entities now considered to be corrupt or incompetent?

For our anti republican friend...I am no Bush lover, but there is no blaming Kwame on Ronald Reagan. That would be like blaming Nixon on FDR. One has nothing to do with the other.

"
    For our anti republican friend...I am no Bush lover, but there is no blaming Kwame on Ronald Reagan. That would be like blaming Nixon on FDR. One has nothing to do with the other. "

Easy solution to the hypocrisy, blame all of the politicians. Yes white owned corporations screwed Detroit, and after the civil rights movement gave a middle class existence, to a section of Blacks, it bought off a section to replace the apartheid like political structure it had. It allowed certain blacks to rise up through the ranks provided they proved themselves even more vicious than their white counter parts. Black people arn't any more free now that a rich black man is their master instead of a white man. Just like the beatings don't hurt less if they come from a black corrupt police officer than a white one... however as black conservatives know, racism isn't racism if it gets you ahead.... I think Malcolm x had a name for it... house... something....

Anyways its not race, its class... whether they choose to use racism or not, its always the privileged screwing the poor.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3