Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Same reason people don't like trickle down economics.

Yuppies move into a neighborhood and suddenly the fixed income residents are seeing prices skyrocket with nothing falling off the table for them.
    God forbid that Yuppies should move in and fix their places up and raise the market in that neighborhood. Same goes for the gays, they move in and fix up the neighborhood and the prices of housing soars, but Detroit doesnt want them either. I think Detroiters are afraid of Gentrification because they think the white people will move back in and take over again and the city will not be majority black. Just my opinion. I know it sounds stupid, but I really do think thats the reason.

Since 1949, Detroit, 19. Kenwood exchange. Was easy to see [[from Porchville there) hands in the air atop the Edgewater coaster.
    Before that, Garvin for a minute. Before that, homestead on Fernhill. One of few still standing.

Quote Originally Posted by exmotowner View Post
    God forbid that Yuppies should move in and fix their places up and raise the market in that neighborhood. Same goes for the gays, they move in and fix up the neighborhood and the prices of housing soars, but Detroit doesnt want them either. I think Detroiters are afraid of Gentrification because they think the white people will move back in and take over again and the city will not be majority black. Just my opinion. I know it sounds stupid, but I really do think thats the reason.
    I hate to say it, but I think you are right.

Stromberg2

I don't disagree regarding gentrification but the term seems to imply young white folk.

Several young black families have moved in here. They have wealth and education. I landscape for a living, half my clients are in Detroit and half my clients are black.

Please, people focus on diversity.Yuppies or Buppies we need young talented people to rebuild our neighborhoods. People with alternatives lifestyle welcome too.

Motor City Sam... I grew up on Bramell, at the corner of Chatham, in Castle Rouge sub. Great place to grow up...lots of city employee families. I have such fond memories from those years of my mis-spent youth !

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbred View Post
    Motor City Sam... I grew up on Bramell, at the corner of Chatham, in Castle Rouge sub. Great place to grow up...lots of city employee families. I have such fond memories from those years of my mis-spent youth !
    Still a great place to live. Love my neighbors, love the houses in the neighborhood, love the neighborhood association. People are very friendly and look out for each other.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I don't disagree regarding gentrification but the term seems to imply young white folk.

Several young black families have moved in here. They have wealth and education. I landscape for a living, half my clients are in Detroit and half my clients are black.

Please, people focus on diversity.Yuppies or Buppies we need young talented people to rebuild our neighborhoods. People with alternatives lifestyle welcome too.
    Not to hijack the thread, but I'd like to make a point. Despite a couple of comments in this thread about how Black Detroiters don't want whites or gays moving into the City [[and I always love it when blanket statements are made about an entire group), I don't see that to be the case. Speaking as a Black Detroiter, and knowing lots of other Black Detroiters, I have to say that the majority of us don't care what color or sexual orientation a neighbor might be as long as they are a good neighbor who respects the community and takes care of his/her property. When was the last time you saw the Black Racist equivalent of a cross burning on the lawn of a white person moved into Detroit?

Sam, I lived at Grixdale and John R in a completely black neighborhood. I had a beautiful FULLY FURNISHED 2 bedroom home. I came home one night and my house was COMPLETLY empty. They had to back a uhaul up in order to get all my furniture out. They even stole my clothes and hanging plants. They had to have help. It wasn't a one man deal. Nobobody seen anything. I wish they would have JUST burned a cross. So yes Sam I would consider that equivolent to burning a cross. I definitely got the point and moved. I sure didnt have any reason to stay after that. If your speaking for the "majority" of the black people, let me speek for the "majority" of the white people. IMO! We are not welcome in black communities. You can say black people aren't racist, but I've lived it differently.

Hopeless romantics and people who can't afford to leave!!!!

it's sort of a detraction to some extent in this thread, but all in good taste.

i have recently started a project on behalf of my organization DETROIT LIVES! [[http://detroitlives.org/) to create a new guidebook for the city of Detroit. the idea is to give first-timers some hints and ideas on how to appreciate Detroit through locals sharing the spaces and places they love in the city. so, maybe it's a dusty old saloon you cherish, or a stoop with a good view on the west side, a small business, whatever. get creative telling the story of the Detroit that you wouldn't want others to miss out on. i have a form set up on the website with space for you to talk about your favorite space, place or thing to do:

http://detroitlives.org/the-guide.html

the "success" of the project totally relies on locals' participation. so thanks for your support in filling out the form!

Quote Originally Posted by exmotowner View Post
    Sam, I lived at Grixdale and John R in a completely black neighborhood. I had a beautiful FULLY FURNISHED 2 bedroom home. I came home one night and my house was COMPLETLY empty. They had to back a uhaul up in order to get all my furniture out. They even stole my clothes and hanging plants. They had to have help. It wasn't a one man deal. Nobobody seen anything. I wish they would have JUST burned a cross. So yes Sam I would consider that equivolent to burning a cross. I definitely got the point and moved. I sure didnt have any reason to stay after that. If your speaking for the "majority" of the black people, let me speek for the "majority" of the white people. IMO! We are not welcome in black communities. You can say black people aren't racist, but I've lived it differently.
    So you are saying you got robbed because you were white? Based on what? Did they leave you some kind of anti white note? Or were you robbed because some criminals saw your house as a target, clocked your movements, and hit you at a time when you were not home. Because that's what happened to me when I got broken into in 2008 and it happens to plenty of people, of all races, everyday. You think somebody cased the block but was only looking for the white dude to rob? And where did I say Black people weren't racist? There are racist Black people just like there are racist White people. Don't misrepresent my point to make yours.

When I was about 17, a bunch of white guys surrounded me in a parking lot in Ypsilanti, called me "boy", and basically chased me out of there. A few white people saw it and did nothing. Funny, but I never took that incident and decided that Black people weren't welcome in Ypsi. I just figured I had the bad luck to run into some a-holes and didn't assign their attitudes to every white resident of Ypsi.

I'm going to drop this, because this was a positive thread about who lives in Detroit, and I'm contributing to it's degradation into another negative back and forth. My apologies to the thread starter and the person who bumped it.

Quote Originally Posted by filup View Post
    it's sort of a detraction to some extent in this thread, but all in good taste.

i have recently started a project on behalf of my organization DETROIT LIVES! [[http://detroitlives.org/) to create a new guidebook for the city of Detroit. the idea is to give first-timers some hints and ideas on how to appreciate Detroit through locals sharing the spaces and places they love in the city. so, maybe it's a dusty old saloon you cherish, or a stoop with a good view on the west side, a small business, whatever. get creative telling the story of the Detroit that you wouldn't want others to miss out on. i have a form set up on the website with space for you to talk about your favorite space, place or thing to do:

http://detroitlives.org/the-guide.html

the "success" of the project totally relies on locals' participation. so thanks for your support in filling out the form!
    That's a good idea. I have some places in mind.

Sam you and I will never agree so yes just drop it. Yes it was because I was the only white boy in the neighborhood. You can go ahead and believe otherwise if you want. I know better.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4