Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    English, you are a real Detroiter, don't let them get to you.

I on the other hand, have been told me and mine are still not "real Detroiters" because we reside Downtown, in one of Detroit's "green zones".

Maybe real Detroiters are the ones who don't need to worry about being real Detroiters?

And please, if you learn a way to ethically and legally not pay Detroit's or Michigan's insurance rates and still reside here, let me know. I'd gladly give up any cred and put that money elsewhere in our local economy.
    DetroitDad, I got you and English's backs. Both of you are REAL Detroiters in my book.

Keep representing!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    English, you are a real Detroiter, don't let them get to you.

I on the other hand, have been told me and mine are still not "real Detroiters" because we reside Downtown, in one of Detroit's "green zones".

Maybe real Detroiters are the ones who don't need to worry about being real Detroiters?
    I never understood why Detroiters are so frightened of gentrification. I could see if new residents were displacing those already here, but new Detroiters are moving where there historically haven't been a lot of residents. We could easily double the city's residents and not face the problems that have occurred in Harlem, parts of DC, and the Bay Area in California. As I try to tell my friends [[we're all so-called "real Detroiters" from the ghettohoods), gentrification is a problem that Detroit could actually use... especially when many of them are moving out.

And please, if you learn a way to ethically and legally not pay Detroit's or Michigan's insurance rates and still reside here, let me know. I'd gladly give up any cred and put that money elsewhere in our local economy.
    Getting insurance rates under control was a promise that both ex-Mayor Kilpatrick and soon-to-be ex-Governor Granholm made when I pulled the lever for them nearly 10 years ago. I've spent the past year and more explaining to the local intelligentsia up here in Washtenaw County why I voted for Kwame the first time. Apparently I should have had a crystal ball to figure that Gil Hill would have made for a better mayor in 2001. At the end of what TIME magazine is calling "The Decade from Hell", I'm sure we all wish we knew what we know now back in December 1999. I'm just pretty nervous about next year's census, and I'm sure it'll be a DYes topic throughout 2010.

Warrendale area for 40 years and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I never understood why Detroiters are so frightened of gentrification.
    Same reason people don't like trickle down economics.

Yuppies move into a neighborhood and suddenly the fixed income residents are seeing prices skyrocket with nothing falling off the table for them.

I sometimes live with the Ghettoman and the Street Prophets at a tent commune somewhere at a big vacant lot at the lower east side.

Rochester hills is prolly nice or b'ingham too. but for real Americans only Detroit will do.

Eastside all my life. I've lived elsewhere, several elsewheres, during the great circular journey of my life, but I've always come back to the eastside. I've never lived anywhere but the east side of the City of Detroit during all of the time I've spent in the area. My 84 year old father, born on Eastlawn, has never lived more than 2 miles from his birthplace in his life [[well, except for a little side trip to Korea induced by his Uncle Sam).

Currently residing in the wonderful Castle Rouge Neighborhood on the West side. Previously lived in Rivertown, downtown at the Fyfe Apartments, Reno Hall at the University of Detroit, and a few homes on the Northwest side. Born on the West side, lived in Belleville for a few years as a child, also have lived in Los Angeles and Indianapolis.

Been living in Brush Park for three years.

Prior to that I was in Ann Arbor -- undergrad at UM, then stayed a few years afterwards. Born on the west side of the city [[Sinai Hospital), my family lived at 7 & Lahser, but then moved out to the 'burbs [[Livonia) when I was very young.

Southwest.... Michigan-Martin

Aviation Subdivision. Since the 60's. Detroit/Dearborn border.

Before that, Grand River/Joy Rd. area when I was little.

EEV resident off and on since 1964. Lived on Canyon [[an area now called Four Corners) until I was 10. Attended Marquette Elementary, Finney for Jr and Sr High, WSU graduate.

Next move will be Islandview Village.

Live here, shop here.

For EEV residents, check out Dallas Market, they regularly sell strip steaks @ $2.99 a pound. Also check out English Village barber on Mack and Yorkshire great haircuts for $8 dollars.

Only burb I ever liked was GPP, they are Detroiters but they just don't know it.

Eastside for 36 years. Started in Jefferson/Conner [[house torn down for Chrysler plant development), migrated to Harper/Cadieux, then 8 Mile/Hayes, now back to Jeff/Conner.

lefty Guest

Eastsider

[[And I think we all know by now you're working on your PhD at UM in Ann Arbor. )
    English, wow you must be very smart getting a phd from such a prestigious school like uofm.
    Oh, tell the insurance company your zip code is just a minor technicality, they'll understand

Chene x Ferry.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    EEV resident off and on since 1964. Lived on Canyon [[an area now called Four Corners) until I was 10. Attended Marquette Elementary, Finney for Jr and Sr High, WSU graduate.

Next move will be Islandview Village.

Live here, shop here.

For EEV residents, check out Dallas Market, they regularly sell strip steaks @ $2.99 a pound. Also check out English Village barber on Mack and Yorkshire great haircuts for $8 dollars.

Only burb I ever liked was GPP, they are Detroiters but they just don't know it.
    Sumas, do you remember an assistant Principal named Richard Taylor when you were at Finney?

Regent Park here. Right across the street from Harper woods.

Born and raised Eastside 4 life!

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sam View Post
    Currently residing in the wonderful Castle Rouge Neighborhood on the West side.
    Oh come on, you just made that up

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMe View Post
    What, Castle Rouge?
    Castle Rouge is a real Neighbourhood:
    http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...etroit-MI.html

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideQT View Post
    As some of you already know I live at the RiverHouse Coop on E. Jefferson near Burns...who else lives in Detroit.
    This guy. Hubbard Farms representin'.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMe View Post
    I know it sounds like I did, but that's actually the neighborhood name. If I was going to make something up, I probably would have come up with something cooler sounding.

Hey, you better not be implying that I'm making up the fact that the neighborhood is wonderful. We Castle Rouge residents don't play that! :-)

Hi Dragging up and oldish thread to delurk because I love this freaking city. We've been at 8 & Van Dyke for 12 years, before that 8 & John R, Elmhurst & Linwood, Webb & 12th, and West Fort & The Boulevard.

jcole, I remember Taylor. With Finney being a Jr and Sr high it felt like I knew them all. I am trying now to remember the name of the first high school principal, she was a carrying over from when Finney was an elementary. She would sit up on the stage in the gym for school assemblies. She was so fat she couldn't keep her legs together.

I was on the year book staff from almost day one and co editor my senior year. I put my life in storage to take care of mom. One of these days though I'll take a trip down memory lane by unearthing my yearbooks.

I see my husband hasn't posted on this thread. He grew up on the westside on Junction. Went to Cass Tec. He been an eastsider since marrying me.

Actually I am surprised at how many posters live in EEV. This is a great community and happy to hear from my internet neighbors.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast