Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

p69... thanks for all your images, you're a wonderful contribution to this forum...

That 6th image in your previous post would forever deter me from ever wanting one of those mansions.... nearly 30 large compost bags of leaves would scare the bejesus out of prospective homebuyers.... lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    p69... thanks for all your images, you're a wonderful contribution to this forum...

That 6th image in your previous post would forever deter me from ever wanting one of those mansions.... nearly 30 large compost bags of leaves would scare the bejesus out of prospective homebuyers.... lol...
    I think that lot is close to an acre or larger! That is what an average mcmansion owner has to deal with, no thx! Although Richard Marr does fabulous work.

Thx Gistok for your kind words!!

JVB Guest

I think the prospects for Brush Park are certainly better than for BE. Real Estate is all about location, and Brush Park is a great location, BE is not. Brush Park has far fewer homes [[almost none), but the flipside of that is a blank slate for future development. With it's location snuggly between downtown, midtown and Eastern Market and with Wayne State and the hospitals providing solid anchors - this area is going to get a lot of attention in the coming years. Meanwhile, anything north of Grand Blvd is going to get far less attention and investment from what I can tell.

I wouldn't expect many single family residences to be built in Brush Park though, probably condos and apartments.

JVB, you are correct in your location location location comments. It's probably the saving grace for the 3 streets that make up Indian Village... the proximity to Jefferson and the Gold Coast [[as well as West Village).

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    Brush Park has far fewer homes [[almost none), but the flipside of that is a blank slate for future development.

I wouldn't expect many single family residences to be built in Brush Park though, probably condos and apartments.
    Brush Park does have quite a few homes. They are not single family homes. You're quite right. I would not expect Brush Park to contain any single family homes. It is because of this that nice residential areas could be attractive for those who want to live close to work but have some space. The City of course needs to address crime and schools for these areas to pull the kind of people that can maintain homes of the size you find in Boston Edison, Palmer Woods, Indian Village or Rosedale Park.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I think that lot is close to an acre or larger! That is what an average mcmansion owner has to deal with, no thx! Although Richard Marr does fabulous work.

Thx Gistok for your kind words!!
    Arghhh. From 1981 to 1985, I owned a 1300 ft^2 house in Virginia that would produce double that amount of bags of pine needles every year mixed in with enough poison ivy that i always had poison ivy for a month after we raked up the pine needles. I was so happy to move to northern Virginia in 1985. Since then, i keep saying "condo, condo.." and my wife keeps saying "free standing house with yard...".

Even though there much of Brush Park has been razed, there are still quite a few excellent homes still standing.
    Attached Images Attached Images                      

p69... love the 2nd pic... the Albert Kahn House [[Urban League)... on Rowena St. [[now Mack Ave.).

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    p69... love the 2nd pic... the Albert Kahn House [[Urban League)... on Rowena St. [[now Mack Ave.).
    Some interior images 62/208 Rowena/Mack Avenue from the W. Hawkins Ferry book The Legacy of Albert Kahn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Arghhh. From 1981 to 1985, I owned a 1300 ft^2 house in Virginia that would produce double that amount of bags of pine needles every year mixed in with enough poison ivy that i always had poison ivy for a month after we raked up the pine needles. I was so happy to move to northern Virginia in 1985. Since then, i keep saying "condo, condo.." and my wife keeps saying "free standing house with yard...".
    That image was taken on April 22 this past spring. All those bags are spring cleanup!

JVB Guest

Even though there much of Brush Park has been razed, there are still quite a few excellent homes still standing.
    Any idea where this house is?

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    Any idea where this house is?
    The home is located at 206 Eliot right on the corner of Eliot and John R. Enclosed is the final report from Brush Park including a little history of 206.

The house that's located next to pic #9, post 57, was listed for 10k back in 09', and I tried like hell to buy it. But somebody else snatched her up . It's a rediculously beautiful house like the ones posted above.

My friends who bought their house in BE as a group investment are still there. But they are all still pretty young and have only one baby among them. Not sure how the school factor will affect their future decisions regarding the area.

But my friends who bought their house on Boston by Linwood are long gone. There were 2 attempted break ins, more houses around them started to go into foreclosure [[this time bringing the squalor squatters), and someone filed fake paperwork on their home with Register of Deeds, causing a hellish chain of expensive legal events. Then one night the police show up banging on the front door saying that they wanted access to their house because some local pants sagger apparently ran into their yard after the Citgo station got raided by the narcos for the nteenth time. The po's forcibly entered his house, with the wife and child upstairs asleep, and after the searching, scaring, screaming, and threatening, the po's left empty handed with a simple, "Guess he's not here, sorry for the inconvenience."

Like I said, long gone.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; November-20-12 at 12:38 AM.

JVB Guest

The home is located at 206 Eliot right on the corner of Eliot and John R. Enclosed is the final report from Brush Park including a little history of 206.
    Wow, amazing architectural history in that attachment - thanks! Off to read some more...

Some interior images 62/208 Rowena/Mack Avenue from the W. Hawkins Ferry book The Legacy of Albert Kahn.
    I was scrolling through Detroit City Directories and wondering why i couldn't find Kahn's house. Now I know. Mack wasn't always called Mack. Thank you.

It's been interesting to read the posts on this thread, and I'm wondering how both neighborhoods have evolved [[or devolved) since the first post back in 2009. CassCorridor's prescient post about Brush Park being primed for future development has definitely come to fruition in 2015, with the announcement of the huge development initiative there by Gilbert.

I wonder if B-E is seeing an uptick in investment or home values because of M1 rail, the better economy, or Duggan's effort to lower property tax assessments; all of which would seem to me to help that neighborhood.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3