Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    In the summer of 1901, Andrew Carnegie gave the city of Detroit $750,000 to erect libraries.
    Was the Mark Twain Branch one of the 8 or 9 libraries erected with his funds?
    Nope- it is not a Carnegie library. It was built by the PWA [[Public Works Administration), a New Deal Agency that did most of the major building projects in Detroit during the Depression [[the WPA got the smaller projects under $25,000). When it opened it was pretty unique- the PWA took care to design the exterior to architecturally fit into the surrounding Indian Village neighborhood, but made the interior floor plan more "modern" with wide, open spaces.

It is a horrible shame to tear down that building- I know you can't save everything, but this one is so beautiful, and one of the last significant New Deal buildings left in the city. Please post if there is any way people can get involved to save it.

Who are the idiots who are making these decisions? They should be called out and held accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by MichMatters View Post
    I get it. Of two similarly-sized buildings, the one the most intact, and with the most salvagable material is the more attractive of the two to the city and demolition firms, for different reasons, of course, right?
    I guess they couldn't stand to see crackhead scrappers making money tearing down the city and had to get in on it.

andybsg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Who are the idiots who are making these decisions? They should be called out and held accountable.
    Wasn't that supposed to happen at election time? It is too late now.

Facebook Group Live
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=204114801866

Please join, invite your friends, share stories or photos, and most importantly contact the city & DPL to express your concern and disappointment.

There is a meeting at 130 today at the library main offices. 2nd floor. Sorry for short notice but just found out.

Why doesn't Robert Bobb and Jennifer Granholm uses some of that stimulus money to restore this library. It could become a learning center/library with TV moniters, computer rooms, etc. You never heard Robert Bobb discuss building libraries. This neighborhool still has many children living in it. That lous of a mayor Kilpatrick and the council had used the renovation money for something else. I had used this library quite frequent in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's. Does anyone has vintage photos of the interior of this library? I would love to look at them.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Does anyone has vintage photos of the interior of this library? I would love to look at them.
    http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/imag...bid=2072105895

Please excuse the typos in the last two- they have been changed, but the corrections won't appear until the database is refreshed again.

aoife, thank you for posting the photos. The Mark Twain was truly one of Detroit's Palaces of Reading.

I had to stop by for a couple pictures yesterday.

Retroit Guest

Maybe the DPL could nail a few books to the roof to replace the missing shingles.

Default mark twain library

Yep. brings back old memories. That was mine hanging spot. I remember Ms Cosua, the elderly lady with the mole on her face, Miss James, Henry the janitor. Mrs Dickerson. Yvette the assistant clerk and the green DPL truck that used to drop off or pick up books that belongs to other libraries

Mrs. James, the Head Librarian at the Mark Twain in the 70's, had a personality that was perfectly suited for her job. She made everyone, especially children, feel welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Mrs. James, the Head Librarian at the Mark Twain in the 70's, had a personality that was perfectly suited for her job. She made everyone, especially children, feel welcome.
    Yes she did. When money was given to DPL in 1985 to keep all libraries open full time the staff at Mark Twain was disbanded and transferred to other locations. Cynthia Moreland became the head librarian there. She was younger and strictly business oriented. No nonsense. She was nice also but in a different way

Default People or property?

I've been by the Mark Twain Library a number of times over the years, both before it was closed and after. It seems to me that while the building was special it was no longer viable in it's primary function as a library. I would imagine that the Detroit Public Library administration struggled with what to do with the branch and how to do it with limited resources. So, whats more important, serving the citizens of Detroit with a viable building or sinking millions[[? +/-) into a building built for another time? I have seen the evidence of local thieves ransacking the branch for many years now, where is the outrage for that?

This would be a great living space. Perhaps a developer could convert it much like the school house in Lafayette Park which is now lofts.

Eastside,

Geat sentiments but have you looked at Gratiot Ave lately. There's no money for anything. If the Library builds a new library on the Mark Twain site to serve the citizens then they win. If they spend big bucks to save the building then citizens somewhere else in the city loses. I bet there's a ton of asbestos in the building, who's going to pay for removing that?
    Could you could come up with a few hundred thousand dollars and save the building? It would be wonderful if you could.

Quote Originally Posted by livefreeorDIE View Post
    Eastside,

Geat sentiments but have you looked at Gratiot Ave lately. There's no money for anything. If the Library builds a new library on the Mark Twain site to serve the citizens then they win. If they spend big bucks to save the building then citizens somewhere else in the city loses. I bet there's a ton of asbestos in the building, who's going to pay for removing that?
    Could you could come up with a few hundred thousand dollars and save the building? It would be wonderful if you could.
    Yes, i understand that it would be long shot to save this building that's for sure. Unfortunately I don't have a few hundred thousand dollars laying around. We'll see what 2010 brings. Perhaps I'll hit the lottery. Then again, I never play it.

what are the options for a non-profit organization[[s) to renovate, own and manage the remaining Detroit Public Libraries?

Default Options?

The Detroit public library's are already run by a non-governmental, non-profit organization. The choice's are to enhance their revenue stream by reapportionment of existing tax's, grants, and donations [[or whatever else can be found) to allow the full utilization and repair of the existing system; or reduce the number of costly buildings and activities of the system.
    I have read that the Detroit Public Schools are possibly going to work closer with the library system to enhance the educational opportunities and effectivness for the children of Detroit. How can pissing away the money on an obsolete building, no matter how nice, benefit the city's children? And don't get me wrong, I love the architecture of the building.

this is a crying shame...I'm trying to enlist the help of EMU students and professionals and I hope someone has contacted SHPO...

PA 169 would help. Establishment of a local historic district and apply to SHPO for a certificate of Eligibility. This would be a crying shame if this came down. Obviously the city doesng give a rats ass about preservation efforts whatsoever. Use tax payers money to tear it down rather than give it away to a viable non profit or presrvation group and create a TIF district from it to bolster the area...

Quote Originally Posted by livefreeorDIE View Post
    If the Library builds a new library on the Mark Twain site to serve the citizens then they win.
    What would make you think that that library would be replaced by a new building? Isn't it more likely to just be yet another vacant lot, like the other spots where closed library branches have been torn down?

Mark Twain was a viable library until 1998 when it was closed down for "renovation" by the city, despite the objections of neighborhood groups, with the promise that it would reopen soon. That "renovation" turned out to be a take the money and run scam for one of the city's favored contractors, and then the library sat empty while scavengers picked away at parts of it.

Even for all that, the building remains remarkably intact. Some of the collection has been moved and is available at an "annex" in a church hall several blocks away, which was finally opened by the city after neighborhood groups protested the apparently stalled "renovation" and their lack of a library. So, the library could be put back where it belongs. It would be a real shame if the people in that still well-populated area did not get their library back, and get the bitter booby prize of another vacant lot instead, because it was more expedient [[and profitable) for the city to now give one of their favored demolition contractors a bundle of money to destroy yet another of our city's beautiful historic structures, all in the name of some false savings.

Default Facts vs fiction

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    What would make you think that that library would be replaced by a new building? Isn't it more likely to just be yet another vacant lot, like the other spots where closed library branches have been torn down?

Mark Twain was a viable library until 1998 when it was closed down for "renovation" by the city, despite the objections of neighborhood groups, with the promise that it would reopen soon. That "renovation" turned out to be a take the money and run scam for one of the city's favored contractors, and then the library sat empty while scavengers picked away at parts of it.

Even for all that, the building remains remarkably intact. Some of the collection has been moved and is available at an "annex" in a church hall several blocks away, which was finally opened by the city after neighborhood groups protested the apparently stalled "renovation" and their lack of a library. So, the library could be put back where it belongs. It would be a real shame if the people in that still well-populated area did not get their library back, and get the bitter booby prize of another vacant lot instead, because it was more expedient [[and profitable) for the city to now give one of their favored demolition contractors a bundle of money to destroy yet another of our city's beautiful historic structures, all in the name of some false savings.
    While I again respect your opinion, I cannot help but comment.
    1) The city does not own the Libraries
    2) The bids for any library project are open to public bid
    3) The library seems to award to the lowest qualified bidder
    [[See DPL website for commission minutes)
    4) I seem to remember that even back in the 90's hearing that there was asbestos all over the building. In the city anyone selling or transfering a commercial building must ensure that the environmental concerns are corrected before the transaction or ar addressed as part of the contract.
    5) How much do you think it takes to operate and maintain a building such as that? [[ I bet you could operate 3 or 4 smaller libraries for the same amount)
    6) Are you aware that back around then [[90's) that the State stopped giving the DPL any state funds which if I remember equated to 25% of the annual budget.

Once again, how could anyone believe that a library system in a city with the financial issues that abound even consider imposing their will upon the library. How can you place a priority that these buildings must come before all else?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast