Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    On a tour of the Water Board building a few weeks ago, I asked the guide about the pear trees in Waterworks Park. [[I remembered a thread discussing these pear trees some time ago.) Thought I'd pass along that the last of the pear trees planted by the original French settlers died in the 1950's.

Interestingly enough, there are a number of pear trees on the property, but they were determined to be "wild" pears.
    Those pear trees were known as the Twelve Apostles. There was a historic marker denoting their location. No clue if it's still there since the park is closed.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Those pear trees were known as the Twelve Apostles. There was a historic marker denoting their location. No clue if it's still there since the park is closed.
    Ahhhh, yes. I couldn't recall what they called the trees. I'll ask to find out if the marker is there.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Ahhhh, yes. I couldn't recall what they called the trees. I'll ask to find out if the marker is there.
    How do we get a tour of the WB Building? I'd love to get some shots of those frescoes!

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    I didn't know they offered tours of the Water Board Building, how can I arrange one?
    No official tours at this time, as parts of the building are still being restored. Stay tuned.

I am waaay to young to comment on the good ole days of enjoying Water Works Park . However, I have a fuzzy recollection of there being sort of bridge or elevated walkway in two locations on the eastside and I want to know if it was just my creative, youthful imagination or did these really exist. The first was a walkway over E. Jefferson somewhere west of Conner and east of Cadillac Blvd [[perhaps in the vicinity of the Chrysler Plant). The second is really fuzzy...but was there ever a bridge/tunnel on E. Grand Blvd just before you enter Belle Isle park? My apologies for the "thread-jack" but you all seem like you would know.
    Last edited by mam2009; February-09-10 at 11:45 PM.

Yes, there was a bridge over Jefferson between St. Jean and Connor that connected two parts of the Chrysler plant. It carried a conveyor belt that connected Kercheval Body on the north side of the street with Jefferson Engine and Assembly on the south side.

Many generations of Detroiters will remember the tunnel that carried E. Grand Blvd. under Jefferson onto the Belle Isle Bridge. The "Do not sound horn" signs creating an irresistible temptation to blast your horn and hear the echo as you made your way to the island for some summer fun. It was there until the mid-80s.

Thanks Eastside Al!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3