Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

DetroitDad Guest

Default Where to Buy Christmas Lights?

This is driving me crazy! I have six big windows that I wanted to hang lights in, alternating from Red to Green to Blue. I got some solid color mini lights a week ago, as well as some multi colored lights for our tree at the Rite Aide in Midtown, however, that's all they had, and aren't planning on getting anymore in. The other pharmacies are out, and I have found nothing at the local hardware stores. We even drove out to various Meijer's and Walmarts, and they had nothing.

I know there is an actual Holiday Festival of Trees Store Downtown, but they are apparently only open when I am at work [[until 3pm).

Where did you all get your lights?

No Lowe's or Home Depots or anything similar?

DetroitDad Guest

Good idea! I'll check tomorrow. I was really surprised that Meijer didn't have a good selection of Christmas lights.

I used to get them at Frank's Nursery and Crafts.... that was the last time I bought lights.

I was really surprised that Meijer didn't have a good selection of Christmas lights.
    Well, when you start selling them in August .......

Ahhhh, Franks. The memories. I guess they're gone now too?

If nothing else, you could always drive up to Bronner's and pay $20 for a $5 set of lights.

Target, Sears and Aco Hardware has loads of 'em.

I was at Ace Hardware they had tons of them and they were already 50% off.

Was at ACO on Michigan Avenue yesterday - not too many lights left. Amazingly Kroger still has lots of lights - and there are a ton on craigslist. Just checked craigslist and there are quite a few out there.

I used to go to Frank's as well, but I think they're gone now.

Later, I went to Evergreen's in Eastpointe - it looks like they are still there - here is a link to their site for more information:

http://www.evergreenhomeandgarden.co...?content_id=25

DD - Did you get 'em? Your probably busy putting them up

DetroitDad Guest

Not yet. All they have is icicle lights, robe lights, and old fashioned big bulbs.

At this point I am not going to waste my time driving to the suburbs to look. My mother-in-law said she might have some she was going to get rid of. She is going to bring them down this week. For now, I guess I'll put up what I have.

like them old fashioned ones. have a couple up myself...go for it.

I went to the Salvation Army Store on Fort Street by the Main Post Office they had tons of lights and other Christmas Decorations dirt cheap. It's a great place to shop.

Dave couldn't find any lights at the usual spots [[Meijer, Target, Walgreens, etc.) in the Royal Oak area.

Someone suggested ACO Hardware might still have lights.

At least we're not desperate for the lights. We still have quite a few strings so can make do.

Guess we'll need to jump on the Christmas lights purchase next November!!

If all else fails, there's always Bronners!

Or just go to the aforementioned Evergreens [[hey, it's a lot closer than Bronners!) - but rather than wait until November, go in the week or two after Christmas - perhaps there will be some good sales!

DetroitDad Guest

I work ten to twelve hours a day, so Bronners wasn't really an option.

We ended up getting lights from my Mother In-Law. Of course, free always comes at a price. After she dropped them off, I reached in the bag and found a nice giant knot of about a dozen strands of Christmas lights. It took me almost all weekend to get them untangled and up.

They don't look at all bad for being done by light hanging beginners, although, the blue lights in one of the windows aren't showing up too well from the street.