Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    Oooo, I'm quaking in my boots now that I'm on Stosh's Ignore list.

But seriously my entire point of this is to elaborate that there are moments to celebrate. Is this Nine Mile/ I-75 overpass as grand or as epic as a baptism, a funeral, a birth or a birthday? Probably not in the grand scheme of things. People celebrate all sorts of events. If the government officials want to take a few moments out of their day, have some sort of gala event, that's their choice. As long as they're still performing their appointed duties and not using this event as some way to skip out on their jobs or duties.

Why anyone would have an issue over this is beyond me. I sincerely believe that part of our human experience IS to have ceremonies and mark events in our lives. How unfulfilling would life be if we didn't have events like graduations, baptisms, communions, birthday parties, retirement parties, somber moments like funerals, memorial services, and other occasions that define who we are?

And maybe that I'm on Stosh's ignore list, maybe he'll never understand or be convinced of the need for celebration or reflection in life.
    Ha-Ha. I lied.

Your whole point is the same as mine. There are moments to celebrate, smoggy. This isn't one of them.
    Anytime that you spend 12 million dollars instead of the 2 million it initially was estimated for, there's no reason to pat yourself on the back. Their whole premise of building a "bigger" bridge cost that much more? Please. And that accelerated schedule cost them that much more?

They did a fast and good job on the bridge. If it wasn't for that, the businesses would have suffered more in the area. That's the only thing they should be celebrating. I'm surprised that the anti-car - pro transit people here didn't have a fit about the expanded cost for the expanded bridge, but that's their myopia. If it doesn't involve a trolley car, they are not interested.

And try not to project your whiny emotional sop onto me. What's the matter? Someone didn't have a birthday party for you? Waaaah? Please.
    Last edited by Stosh; December-14-09 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Ha-Ha. I lied.

Your whole point is the same as mine. There are moments to celebrate, smoggy. This isn't one of them.
    Anytime that you spend 12 million dollars instead of the 2 million it initially was estimated for, there's no reason to pat yourself on the back. Their whole premise of building a "bigger" bridge cost that much more? Please. And that accelerated schedule cost them that much more?

They did a fast and good job on the bridge. If it wasn't for that, the businesses would have suffered more in the area. That's the only thing they should be celebrating. I'm surprised that the anti-car - pro transit people here didn't have a fit about the expanded cost for the expanded bridge, but that's their myopia. If it doesn't involve a trolley car, they are not interested.

And try not to project your whiny emotional sop onto me. What's the matter? Someone didn't have a birthday party for you? Waaaah? Please.
    Then why didn't you just say that this project was a boondoggle of a project to begin with? Why didn't you just post cost over run numbers instead of complaining about officials attending a ceremony? Instead you come at this thread complaining about a small insignificant ceremony, public servants' productivity, photo ops, and pretty much sounding like a surly disgruntled old man.

THIS is the very first time you actually brought some factual numbers to this thread to defend your point. What was the delay?? No wonder people here flamed you and thought you were a curmudgeon.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    Then why didn't you just say that this project was a boondoggle of a project to begin with? Why didn't you just post cost over run numbers instead of complaining about officials attending a ceremony? Instead you come at this thread complaining about a small insignificant ceremony, public servants' productivity, photo ops, and pretty much sounding like a surly disgruntled old man.

THIS is the very first time you actually brought some factual numbers to this thread to defend your point. What was the delay?? No wonder people here flamed you and thought you were a curmudgeon.
    Because it's fun. And maybe I AM a curmudgeon?

But actually a little of both. Distain for the useless show of glad handing, and disbelief in the cost of the bridge. From the way that it was portrayed, it was supposed to be so much bigger and wider. Not by much in my book, and hardly worth the cost.

And the Greenfield bridge project drags on and on. Among other projects.