Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default Developer to save Park Theatre, create Lincoln Park Lofts

A small victory in a small city:

"City officials pushed for its redevelopment, and, eventually, its demolition. The Lincoln Park Preservation Alliance, a group of local preservation-minded activists, pushed for saving it to preserve the historic character of the city. The compromise is the Lincoln Park Lofts development."

http://www.metromodemedia.com/devnew...lofts0111.aspx

Great news!

Thats pretty cool that a theatre like that can be saved. I am not the loft kinda guy yet when I see reuse of something like that I am glad.

Sounds like only the marquee will remain intact and the theatre itself will become lofts?

Finally, Downtown Lincoln Park look like a Detroit ghetto. It needs to be fashionable compared to Downtown Ferndale. It tired of looking at vacant buildings and a empty parking lots on Fort St. and Southfield Rd. It needs to catch up with Downtown Allen Park and Wynadotte.

This will be like the Berkeley Theatre in Berkeley.... they saved the facade and gutted the interior for another use [[in that case a drug store).

This kind of remodeling is not unusual for former theatres. In Los Angeles the Pantages Theatre houses a jewelry store [[although much of the theatre survives). in Brooklyn NY, the former Brooklyn Paramount is now used by Long Island University... the auditorium [[with most of the ornate plasterwork surviving) is used as a basketball court, and the lobby is used as a cafeteria.

Even in Grosse Pointe Farms, the former Punch and Judy Theatre Building survives as office space, without the theatre and marquee.

Although I suppose it's better than bulldozing the building, I don't consider carving up a theater for lofts "saving a theater."