Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

The Michigan Stags!! ... now there's an obscure memory. I was a regular at Pistons games at Cobo back then and the Stags tried to drum up some interest and paper their house by passing out free ticket vouchers to Piston fans.

I actually went to watch them lose a couple of times to mediocre WHA teams in a mostly empty arena. Not a great advertisement for the team or the league, and anyway the Pistons crowd really wasn't much of a hockey crowd.

The big deal with bringing the team here was supposed to be the return of Gordie Howe to Detroit - playing with his kids on a team called the Houston Aeros. However, the team was in such bad financial shape that they were forced to move to Baltimore before the Gordie and the Aeros ever played here.

Here's a rare picture of Cobo during a Stags game, with what must be one of the biggest crowds they ever drew:

EastsideAl,

Very cool pic. I never got to see the Stags play at Cobo. I did get to see the Compuware Ambassadors of the OHL and the roller hockey team the Mustangs play there. Indoor soccer was really fun there, too.

Waterford? Sorry, I'll pass. Let's see, one time, probably around 1976, I was in the AC with several friends, and I was seriously locking lips with my girlfriend, and Jimmy came by and separated us from our clinch, like we were two dogs in heat, which come to think of it we were. What a saloon, one match could have sent the entire room up in flames I'm sure. Nice to remember that in those dark days the Lindell AC was a beacon of light in a thirsty world. No necking please.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3