Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    I don't think having "villages" isolated by prairies is a solution for Detroit. I think a continuous expanse of housing is the way to go. The best place for new large-scale housing developments are in the most abandoned [[and cleared out) areas, not next to the few "villages".
    So you acknowledge the population has shrunk, but you still expect housing to cover the same area? I don't follow.

MichMatters Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    So you acknowledge the population has shrunk, but you still expect housing to cover the same area? I don't follow.
    I'm just as confused as you, now, and the more he talks, the more I'm convinced that we're not on the same page. My point, to reiterate, is that fixing up the remaining "teeth" on a block [[i.e. the blocks with a handful or two of houses) where housing isn't going to be viable for the foreseeable future is pointless, and wastes and spreads the resources.

From what I'm getting from him, I actually think he's closer to your guy's position. He seems to seriously think that if you tear down the "bombed-out" homes that it will somehow encourage to development of that block. This is not the idea behind, or part of the idea of, shrinking cities. Shrinking is clearing and reconsolidating population around the center, or a series of centers, not building where houses aren't going to go, again.

I believe praries are preferable to abandoned burnt out shells. I live in a neighborhood that is working hard to preserve its density. However I have friends who are homeowners all over the city.

I will highlight one friends problem. A neighbor lady died with no will. First came the scrappers, then the squatters, then the vagrants and druggies. Fire bugs torched the garage, the fire spread and my friend lost his garage. Significant damage was done to another home. Neighbors now happily mow vacant lots. Only one nasty house half burnt house is left on the block which is tennanted by a squatter. No heat, no lights no water. At least he is quiet and there is no drug traffic. The rest of the area has majestic homes and is prime for infill.

I support historic preservation but when a house is all but gone, get rid of it.

iheartthed,
    I agree with you. It doesn't seem as if some type of "Master Plan" will ever work, especially if it's run by the city.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3