Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

If this building is ever demolished, I will probably lose all hope for this city's leadership and leave. Interesting idea Re: UDM Law. I think that would be a wonderful use for it.

"How about moving the Detroit Historical Museum to the building? I wonder what the owners are asking for it."

If I remember right, the DHM is to undergo a multi-million dollar renovation here real soon. Considering the amount of time [[and BS) invested in this, I don't think they would, or could, pivot at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    One certain poster [[you know who you are) would insist it be demolished the moment it becomes vacant, since there is no such thing as economical mothballing of empty structures according to him.
    While not directed at me...i dont think...as I've never advocated anything like that... It's quite obvious that the reality is that there is economic mothballing and then there is what is allowed to pass in Detroit. When the building is left to the elements, when it's not properly mothballed, when it's stripped of any value, then what? Every possible effort should be made to save the building, but if they all fail and it ends up looking like MCS or the Layfayette in a decade or three....then what?

Obviously it's going to have to be a government entity that takes it over.... there is no private use for it. That needs to happen soon or the building is toast, if history is our guide.

But, I guess really at this point, it's just a question of which is more tragic; the end result is likely a forgone conclusion, or that no one will be held accountable for it.

Looks like Venus Bronze Works gets to keep the copper quadrigas, chariots and all in exchange for not being paid for their work.
    Let the stripping begin.

They will no doubt end up being auctioned off and end up in some suburban back yard.
    or a condo/brownstone development in Chicago

So when does the scrapping start?
    You think the it hasn't started? I would bet a few ornamental door knobs, small fixtures, sconces...etc, have managed to walk out already.

Thanks for being our font of realism on the board, Bailey. When we get too far out, you're always there to bring us back to what is really feasible.

Now, what was that $5 per gallon tax you proposed again?

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    Interesting idea Re: UDM Law. I think that would be a wonderful use for it.
    Agreed. A win/win if there ever was one. However, UDM Law has been touting various plans about expansion, new build, renovation in place of it atrocious facilities for [[by my count) at least 8 years. The recent resignation of the law school's Dean was apparently predicated by the lack of candor on the university administration's part about the university's real commitment to any renovation plan. allegedly one of the main lures to get the dean to UDM in the first place were promises of either signifiacant overhaul or a complete new build.

Long story short, unless it's all but free to the school, UDM law ain't goin' nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Thanks for being our font of realism on the board, Bailey. When we get too far out, you're always there to bring us back to what is really feasible.

Now, what was that $5 per gallon tax you proposed again?
    Hey, since fantasy land is so much easier to live in...why not? How do you propose paying for a complete mass transit system? But hey, let just keep it simple, how about a plan for the county building? I mean they save buildings like this in New York every day right? Should be a piece of cake.

Bailey can't take a ribbing. He has to start comparing New York to Detroit.

well, i would have compared it to Chicago, but we all know Detroit and New York are exactly the same and anything that is done there can easily be replicated here.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    When the building is left to the elements, when it's not properly mothballed, when it's stripped of any value, then what? Every possible effort should be made to save the building, but if they all fail and it ends up looking like MCS or the Layfayette in a decade or three....then what?
    I don't think it's going to be sitting totally vacant to be left to the elements & urban miners. The FOC offices currently in the Penobscot Bldg are supposed to be moving in there in January. Kidspace, the montessori school in there, is to be staying there also.

It is not listed on the Farbman site of available properties. So, they either don't want to lease it, or they have someone already lined up. Several posters have already mention the Friend of the Court. Not a wise idea due to the extremely high rent they are going to charge. For whatever reason - whenever Farbmen rents/sells to a municipality the prices go to heaven.

MichMatters Guest

gnome,

Funny you should mention that, because I went looking for the building on their website search, last night, and, yeah, it's not listed. Hopefully, that's a good thing. And, luckily, Farbman is a large enough company that if push came to shove, and the building had to sit empty for some time, they aren't some single-employee development company that this building could bankrupt. I'm actually hopeful for the ultimate prospects of this building; yes, even in Detroit.
    Last edited by MichMatters; December-08-09 at 10:05 PM.

Yeah, I can't find it listed anywhere... funny that.

The FOC is troublesome to me. Any operating expenses the FOC incures comes out of the monies it brings in, therefore, the more money they spend on lavish surroundings, the less gets to families or the more non-custodial parents will have to pay ... either way a lose-lose when you consider how much property the County owns. ... Why rent? Wasn't that the entire idea behind the move to buy the Guardian Bldg?

Rideron Guest

All these grand ideas will distill down to a picture of the building on a historical marker plaque next to the future parking lot....

And within a year that plaque will be stolen by scrappers......

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    The FOC is troublesome to me. Any operating expenses the FOC incures comes out of the monies it brings in, therefore, the more money they spend on lavish surroundings, the less gets to families or the more non-custodial parents will have to pay ...
    Good point. That is a little disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    What do you want to bet that Farbman has already sold the copper quadrigas that once adorned the roofline of the building?

How Wayne County ever decided it was a good idea to give up ownership of this building in the first place is beyond me. Just another stupid decision by an equally stupid county government.
    From what I heard at a Christmas party downtown last night was that County Exec Robert Ficano's girl friend is a realtor... and guess which Griswold St. orange brick building she offloaded onto the county!

May help explain why he was so adamant about its' purchase, even though many among the Wayne County Commissioners were hesitant!

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    The FOC is troublesome to me. Any operating expenses the FOC incures comes out of the monies it brings in, therefore, the more money they spend on lavish surroundings, the less gets to families or the more non-custodial parents will have to pay
    FOC's operating expenses are provided by the County.

MichMatters Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    FOC's operating expenses are provided by the County.
    Which doesn't change anything he said...at all. The point was that the more spent on rent means the less available for programs. I'm not sure how the money coming from the county invalidates that point.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    I could get behind that. It would be one step in atoning for the inexcusable decision to raze Old City Hall [[www.buildingsofdetroit.com/places/cityhall) in 1961.
    Thanks so much for posting this! I had no idea that "tear that schitt down" sentiments predated my lifetime by nearly 20 years. What is it about Detroit that makes the powers that be think this is okay?

DetroitDad Guest

Didn't the employees moving out of the Wayne County Building park on nearby surface lots, and help to inflate the prices of nearby garages? It is my understanding that the Guardian uses a garage four blocks out on *First and Congress, and shuttles many employees and tenants into the Financial District.

Just some food for thought.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; December-10-09 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Thanks so much for posting this! I had no idea that "tear that schitt down" sentiments predated my lifetime by nearly 20 years. What is it about Detroit that makes the powers that be think this is okay?
    That was a particularly sneaky demo. It was started in the middle of the night, IIRC, and people arrived downtown surprised to see it being reduced to rubble.

Quote Originally Posted by MichMatters View Post
    Which doesn't change anything he said...at all. The point was that the more spent on rent means the less available for programs. I'm not sure how the money coming from the county invalidates that point.
    The original post sounded to me like FOC is taking money from support payments to use for operating expenses, & they use the leftovers to go to the families. That's not how it is. The purpose of the County funding FOC for operating expenses is so support money isn't used for operating expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Didn't the employees moving out of the Wayne County Building park on nearby surface lots, and help to inflate the prices of nearby garages? It is my understanding that the Guardian uses a garage four blocks out on Second and Congress, and shuttles many employees and tenants into the Financial District.

Just some food for thought.
    Actually that garage is at First & Congress. The employees have to pay to park there.

The County is planning to build a parking deck in place of that golden mirrored glass building on Woodward.

---

Jackie, the FOC is a operated by the County. Its operations budget is set by Ficano and approved by the County Commission. Part of that Operations Budget is taken from non-custodial parental payments submitted to the County.

The point is that with all the properties that are owned by the County, the notion to use a single cent on rent is a waste of money. We have a finite amount of money and we should pay ourselves before underwriting Farbmen's enormous coffers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2