Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I think that the levels of response by the police have to do with the district they work in. Commander Fleming and Officer Szalagy are both from central district, which goes to great lengths to make themselves accessable to the community by making appearances at block clubs, resident's council meetings, and giving out office and cell phone numbers. They also host safety and steering committee meetings at the precinct that are open to the public. Sometimes their response times aren't so hot, but I've learned that if the situation doesn't call for immediate police response, then give them guys a break and go to the station to file a report. This isn't the suburbs I'm sure you all know....

I can't speak for the other precincts too much except that i know the Eastern precinct is spread out way too far in it's north and south perimeters. They rely on gang squad to do much of the patroling near 8 mile, and those guys are only looking to bust the big dogs. The white patrol cars that do rarely patrol won't do shit if it means getting out of the car. They constantly drive by pimps and pirate hookers in front of Sam D's on Winchester and John R and won't give them a second glance, but threaten to ticket individuals who walk in the street because they're scared to walk by the empty and burned out homes. So the neighbors there now have a bad relationship with the police, and have developed a strong "no snitching" policy [[except when someones facing the clink of course). It works, because three high profile murders have taken place there in the last two years and all have gone unsolved.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; December-03-09 at 02:49 AM.