Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Perhaps Lowell should put,

**********ABSOLUTLY NO NAME CALLING*************

At the top of the Detroit Forum and just not on the Non-Detroit issues Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by moash76 View Post
    Thanks, Crystal! I've been lurking on this board for about 2 years now. I don't know what took me so long to sign up, but I'm glad I did. I really enjoy reading about Detroit, and I LOVE seeing all of the pictures. I spent 21 years living in Warrendale. That was a great family neighborhood at the time. So many kids to play with! And because my screen name is a bit ambiguous [[I see a lot of he/she) I will settle the uncertainty. I'm a she. : )

And again, thanks to those of you that understand my reasoning. And thanks for letting me vent a little!
    It's good you posted and vented. Nothing wrong with asking for a little feedback. When some people get bent out of shape, you respond properly. If they're way out there, tell 'em to FO. If they're reasonable, have a dialogue. I don't understand all the cries to ban name calling and stop this and that. It happens and we get by it. The next time around, the perpetrator this time may be asking for help and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    It's good you posted and vented. Nothing wrong with asking for a little feedback. When some people get bent out of shape, you respond properly. If they're way out there, tell 'em to FO. If they're reasonable, have a dialogue. I don't understand all the cries to ban name calling and stop this and that. It happens and we get by it. The next time around, the perpetrator this time may be asking for help and advice.
    I think when people start name calling, we lose perspective on what the initial discussion was all about. Keep it on target. Discuss the issues, debate them, argue for your point of view, and maybe agree to disagree but we also know how people can take things personally here. Not that I want to speak for Lowell or anyone else here but I like the no name calling here because it helps to keep a focus on topics here.

I have no problem with people venting such as moash76 did here. I think he/she was actively looking for some perspective, advice and maybe a sound rationale for recourse. And quite honestly there are some pretty bright folks here on the boards that can help.

One of the best things about this forum is the multiple points of view and the information being distributed. I don't exactly have to agree with all of it or subscribe to everyone's opinion but I surely shouldn't be subject to being called a crass name if I disagree with someone's point of view either.

I, for one, am looking forward to what kind of follow up the Parade people give you.
    Customer service seems to be a lost art for a lot of businesses these days. Non-profits should be especially
    sensitive to bad publicity and unhappy donators.
    Did anyone have a good time at the parade?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    I, for one, am looking forward to what kind of follow up the Parade people give you.
    Customer service seems to be a lost art for a lot of businesses these days. Non-profits should be especially
    sensitive to bad publicity and unhappy donators.
    Did anyone have a good time at the parade?
    We were in the south end of Campus Martius, in front of the Chase building. It was a great place to watch an incredible event.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    I think when people start name calling, we lose perspective on what the initial discussion was all about. Keep it on target. Discuss the issues, debate them, argue for your point of view, and maybe agree to disagree but we also know how people can take things personally here. Not that I want to speak for Lowell or anyone else here but I like the no name calling here because it helps to keep a focus on topics here.

I have no problem with people venting such as moash76 did here. I think he/she was actively looking for some perspective, advice and maybe a sound rationale for recourse. And quite honestly there are some pretty bright folks here on the boards that can help.

One of the best things about this forum is the multiple points of view and the information being distributed. I don't exactly have to agree with all of it or subscribe to everyone's opinion but I surely shouldn't be subject to being called a crass name if I disagree with someone's point of view either.
    Yeah Smogboy, I agree with you .The difference is that you speak of the ideal situation and I'm speaking of reality. I'd love it if we just had good old discussions and debates. Not likely. Too many yellers here.

Yeah Smogboy, I agree with you .The difference is that you speak of the ideal situation and I'm speaking of reality. I'd love it if we just had good old discussions and debates. Not likely. Too many yellers here.
    If those people want to yell, I'm hoping they're not thinking clearly and rationally enough to have a solid argument. Idealistic? Maybe but one has to have hope. I've always considered that a trademark of anyone living in or around Detroit. It's sometimes all we have.

And yes, I'm also curious as to the outcome with regards to the Parade Company discussion.

What Crystal said. The posters attacking him are exhibiting an all-too-frequent attitude around this Metro -- that one ought to be happy to accept any kind of goods and any level of service without complaint, and even with abject rudeness on the part of those offering said goods and services.

And then we wonder why we're hemorrhaging people.

Moash, let us know what happens.

Well, I called last Monday and spoke with someone. Unfortunately, she wan't able to help me and her boss was not in. She took my name and number and said that she would have her boss call me back. I didn't recieve a phone call all week, so I am going to try to call back again tomorrow. To be continued...

Thanks for the update, such as it is. Hopefully, they'll do the right thing by you.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    If those people want to yell, I'm hoping they're not thinking clearly and rationally enough to have a solid argument. Idealistic? Maybe but one has to have hope. I've always considered that a trademark of anyone living in or around Detroit. It's sometimes all we have.

And yes, I'm also curious as to the outcome with regards to the Parade Company discussion.
    Idealism is a requisite for living in the Detroit area. Gotta have it, no doubt. Some people think I'm just curmudgeonly. Not true, I hold my optimism and idealism close. That's why I often say ; "Enjoy Detroit for what it is right now!" As bad as Detroit has it, there are still many great and cool things about the city to enjoy every day. I won't even get started on a list. I had a day at Eastern Market and the Johansen Charles Gallery a couple of weeks ago, followed by cruising the St. Aubin. Mt. Elliot, Chene Street corridors with an aged African-American friend of many years. We learn lots from each other. We then proceeded to Hamtown for a walk and more talking. Later it was a dive bar in northeast Detroit and burgers at the White Tower in Hamtown. I was totally rejuvenated after that. Try telling that to some of those A2'ers and Oakland County residents and you'll be laughed outta town.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    What Crystal said. The posters attacking him are exhibiting an all-too-frequent attitude around this Metro -- that one ought to be happy to accept any kind of goods and any level of service without complaint, and even with abject rudeness on the part of those offering said goods and services.

And then we wonder why we're hemorrhaging people.

Moash, let us know what happens.
    Right on English!

Well, I called last Monday and spoke with someone. Unfortunately, she wan't able to help me and her boss was not in. She took my name and number and said that she would have her boss call me back. I didn't recieve a phone call all week, so I am going to try to call back again tomorrow. To be continued...
    Doesn't it continually amaze you what passes for customer service in the good ole' USA? Why would the Parade Company want to be lumped in with such clueless companies like Comcast, DTE, ATT and other such mega-bureaucracies. "Please hold [[for hours). Our customer satisfaction[[say what?) agents will be with you in a moment [[thirty or more). You're are number 23 [[132) in line. We will be with you momentarily. We are presently experiencing high phone call volume. We value your business, please hold. We can't take your phone call right now due to high volume, please try our website. Our website is down temporarily, please try our 800 number. Sorry, there's nothing we can do for you. Tough shit!"

Thanks Kielson...

Idealism is a requisite for living in the Detroit area. Gotta have it, no doubt. Some people think I'm just curmudgeonly. Not true, I hold my optimism and idealism close. That's why I often say ; "Enjoy Detroit for what it is right now!" As bad as Detroit has it, there are still many great and cool things about the city to enjoy every day. I won't even get started on a list. I had a day at Eastern Market and the Johansen Charles Gallery a couple of weeks ago, followed by cruising the St. Aubin. Mt. Elliot, Chene Street corridors with an aged African-American friend of many years. We learn lots from each other. We then proceeded to Hamtown for a walk and more talking. Later it was a dive bar in northeast Detroit and burgers at the White Tower in Hamtown. I was totally rejuvenated after that. Try telling that to some of those A2'ers and Oakland County residents and you'll be laughed outta town.
    Yep, but they don't know what they're missing, do they? Whenever I start getting stressed out in my PhD program I know it's because I haven't been home in a while. The day before Thanksgiving, I came home to Detroit a day early just to shop at the Avalon Bakery and check out the parade floats before the fact. Visiting family, having lunch with friends, and going to my favorite places in the city helps to center me and realize where I've come from. It's kind of weird, but among the Michigan graduate students these days, sometimes those of us who come from right up the road are a bit more exotic than those who come from overseas, California, or are New England Brahmins. So I always encourage them to get out into the city and explore things.

I hope Moash gets a response from the Parade Company, and that he brings his family to future events. I am sure they want to have the positive PR.

Well, I called the parade company a few times and never got any return calls. The other night, I finally broke down and wrote another email. I explained the whole situation from beginning to end and am happy to report that they refunded my money. I didn't receive a personalized email in return, but they did correct the situation, so I can't complain. I guess I will try again next year and maybe they won't oversell their seats again.

Well, I called the parade company a few times and never got any return calls. The other night, I finally broke down and wrote another email. I explained the whole situation from beginning to end and am happy to report that they refunded my money. I didn't receive a personalized email in return, but they did correct the situation, so I can't complain. I guess I will try again next year and maybe they won't oversell their seats again.
    I wouldn't waste my time.

I wouldn't have paid for seats the first time. Ain't no way I'd do it again after that.

Any business entity gets one, maybe two, opportunities to get my dollars. After that, it's all about me. Screw loyalty, screw you. What passes for customer service in our culture is a recorded phone message, "we value your business, please hold for another 15 minutes or until we lay off and ship out a few more phone reps". In doing business with DTE recently, I truly spent the better part of about 5 different days on the phone, on hold and waiting for their various departments to figure out what the left hand was doing. They DO NOT return phone calls or allow you to speak to one person to resolve your issues. It was infuriating. Do we have a choice? Is this the free market? Who do you go to after you've been screwed by a monopoly? Now I have to face doing business with Comcast, the cable monopoly that provides services I need for a new business venture. I think of poor and aged people who have less ability, mobility and resources than I. What do they receive in return from these powerful monopolies, besides aggravation and a bill? I used to donate time and money to all of the local non-profits such as DET, TVS, etc. Once they ignored my every concern and began taking corporate dollars for 'sponsorhsips', [[those aren't commercials), I dropped them from my list of contributions. Besides, their execs make big money and bonuses and their staff have jobs and receive regular paychecks. Something that a lot of people out here don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    ...my PhD program...
    Ding, ding, ding...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2