Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

They must have meant the Lodge instead of I-96. In 1935 there were a few grocery stores between UofD and Marygrove, but McNichols west of Marygrove to the Southfield was practically empty. The section where the Lodge was put through had nothing from Pinehurst to Hartwell. The only motion picture theater on McNichols was the Davison on E McNichols.

Polk's has a section of business listings by type of business; meats and groceries are two separate categories, but each has several hundred listed in the city.

Hey MikeM ...can you help on this one?
    1930 ...ish ...
    Charles Klegon [[wife Fannie)

The only Charles Klegon I have is the one married to Eve back, up top in my first post.

My late father lived in Detroit with his sister and brother-inlaw in the early 40s before he got drafted in WWII. Anyone able to find where Lou or Lew Blystone and his wife Margaret lived?
    Last edited by missn; December-01-09 at 03:55 PM. Reason: misspelled name

Interesting MikeM ... Charles was married to Fannie in 1930 ...Fannie died in 1931 ...any info at all about Fannie dying in June/July 1931 ?

The 1928 Polk's directory, which is online, lists Charles H. & Fannie at 9830 Russell. Charles H is a bookkeeper and Fannie is a stenographer.

There is another Charles, no middle initial, who is a clerk for Kolman Shapiro, living at 11363 Martindale.

Also living there on Martindale is:
    Benjamin C, pharmacist at D. T. Altenberg
    Fay, who is also a stenographer
    Louis I. [[Molly), who is a carpenter
    and Samuel, no occupation given.

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text...w=pdf&seq=1223

Missn, the only Blystone listed in 1940 was a Mrs. L. D. Blystone, 1451 Abbott, demonstrator at Crowley's. Maybe Lou isn't listed because he was already drafted. I don't know when the draft ws started, but my father was drafted in 1940.

Bearinabox Guest

Did the Lodge take out any buildings at 6 Mile? I always thought James Couzens was already built to that width before the Lodge came through.

I doubt it. Before it was a highway, the street was called Northwestern Drive, and it wasn't a divided road. It started at Wyoming and ran northwest to about 7 1/2 Mile. Around 1930 it was widened, divided, and turned into the Northwestern Highway. Even at that time, McNichols looked very barren; former truck farms and marshland with a street grid built over it and pockets of residential developments:

http://tinyurl.com/ybhfkry

http://tinyurl.com/y9nlhwl

In the late 1930s it was renamed James Couzens Highway.

If I am looking up an address with a 1930's house number...will it match the google or current numbering?

Quote Originally Posted by buckster1986 View Post
    If I am looking up an address with a 1930's house number...will it match the google or current numbering?
    Detroit's current address scheme has been in place since 1921.

The Mercury Theater was located on Schaefer the first block south of McNichols, just west of the Lodge, until it was demolished in the mid 90s. It was built in 1941. Scroll down the link and there are several grocery stores surrounding the theater.

http://waterwinterwonderland.com/mov...79&LocTypeID=5
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; March-29-11 at 09:54 PM. Reason: add a link

MikeM
    Years ago I went to the Burton section of Detroits Main Library to look up various people in the Polks City Directories. Now that I am older I can't make the trip. I am aware that the 1928 edition is online. Questions, IAre there any libraries, public or college, within the Northeast Suburbs that have all years directories, printed or microfilm? Also, any sites that have all the directories online
    Thanks FEO

Quote Originally Posted by FEO View Post
    Are there any libraries, public or college, within the Northeast Suburbs that have all years directories, printed or microfilm? Also, any sites that have all the directories online
    Thanks FEO
    For information about on-line directories, read my comments on this earlier thread. For selected years between 1852 and 1895, click here and follow the instructions.

Hi Detroit!
    I'm here at the Fisher Theatre doing a show called Beautiful. We're here for another week, and I've had a lovely time in the Motor City!
    My Italian Grandfather came over to the States in the early 30's. He went straight to Detroit, because all of his friends from their village in Italy had come over to work at the Ford Company on the assembly line. My Grandfather ALWAYS bought a Ford throughout his entire life. He remained loyal to the company who gave him his first break in this country.
    He sent for his family soon after he got here, and my Mother showed up around 1928. They lived here for about 7 years before they migrated to the Bay Area in California... mostly so my Grandfather could have access to grapes and make his famous Zinfandel wine...
    Is there any way I can get hold of where they lived in Detroit? Are there any documents anywhere that had people's addresses?
    His name was Ottavio Banchero, my Grandmother was Clara Banchero, and my Mom and Aunt were Alba and Anne. I think they lived here until about 1935, so he may have arrived here around 1928....
    Any help would be so appreciated, and thank you for this website!
    xoxo
    Suzanne Grodner

Name:  banchero.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  19.3 KBThey lived at 15416 Prairie in 1930 per Ancestry. 1930 Census. Unfortunately that street is pretty torn up now. It's located between Livernois and Wyoming near the Lodge Freeway. Actually, I think it was right under the Lodge.

If you want to message me an email address, I can send you that snip of census above or you can right click it, open image in new tab and then zoom in on it to about 175% to see it better

His Naturalization record from Detroit District Court is date 8/19/26 and his oath of allegiance was signed September 26 1927 in Detroit

And this is a snip from the San Matteo, CA in 1933
    Attachment 32430

Quote Originally Posted by sgrodner View Post
    Hi Detroit!
    I'm here at the Fisher Theatre doing a show called Beautiful. We're here for another week, and I've had a lovely time in the Motor City!
    My Italian Grandfather came over to the States in the early 30's. He went straight to Detroit, because all of his friends from their village in Italy had come over to work at the Ford Company on the assembly line. My Grandfather ALWAYS bought a Ford throughout his entire life. He remained loyal to the company who gave him his first break in this country.
    He sent for his family soon after he got here, and my Mother showed up around 1928. They lived here for about 7 years before they migrated to the Bay Area in California... mostly so my Grandfather could have access to grapes and make his famous Zinfandel wine...
    Is there any way I can get hold of where they lived in Detroit? Are there any documents anywhere that had people's addresses?
    His name was Ottavio Banchero, my Grandmother was Clara Banchero, and my Mom and Aunt were Alba and Anne. I think they lived here until about 1935, so he may have arrived here around 1928....
    Any help would be so appreciated, and thank you for this website!
    xoxo
    Suzanne Grodner
    Last edited by jcole; January-03-17 at 01:31 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2