Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The Asian Carp are agressive jumpy fish when bothered. If it heads to the Great Lakes our fishing industry as well as our ecosystem is doomed forever.

Why not put a bounty on them? Equip the masses of Michigan's unemployed with fishing rods and put them to work.

Feds skip best weapon against Asian carp

Things don't look promising. Even with a shutdown of the canals [[which will not happen), there are numerous indirect sources for the infiltration of asian carp into the Great Lakes.
    The name asian carp is interesting. All carp were originally brought to North America from Asia, and are not native to our waters. Common carp were thought to be a good source of food and commercial fishing when they were deliberately released, in the 1800s.
    The new species have a potential for far more serious, probably devastating, results than the common carp that are considered a nuisance by many today.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Feds skip best weapon against Asian carp

Things don't look promising. Even with a shutdown of the canals [[which will not happen), there are numerous indirect sources for the infiltration of asian carp into the Great Lakes.
    The name asian carp is interesting. All carp were originally brought to North America from Asia, and are not native to our waters. Common carp were thought to be a good source of food and commercial fishing when they were deliberately released, in the 1800s.
    The new species have a potential for far more serious, probably devastating, results than the common carp that are considered a nuisance by many today.
    Back in the 1940s and 1950s, there were several commercial carp fishing boats netting carp in the St Clair Flats. I think they sold it to cat food canneries. In the shallow water [[6" to 12" deep), whole masses of them used to thrash around and make a big stir.

Well, they are edible fish. Not too bad in a sweet and sour sauce, and not to bad roasted on charcoal...

Well folks, so long to our multi million dollar Great Lakes fishing industry and our watersports. Those Asian Carps will be jumping all over our lakes. That includes the Detroit River.

littlebuddy Guest

For people who wanted to excape the cities now gangs of fish will be beating them up when on the water. So much for tourism.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Why not put a bounty on them? Equip the masses of Michigan's unemployed with fishing rods and put them to work.
    Nice idea. Unfortunately they eat plankton and algae. Nothing that will fit nicely on a treble hook with 10# filament.

Maybe I'm just missing it, but I never see a single barge move up the Chi river to the lake daytime during the weekdays or at night when I've been past. I'd definitely notice this. Assuming recreational boats are directed only to marinas on the north branch, I don't see why they can't close the locks on the canal.

Our Great Lakes are DOOMED DOOMED! Thanks a lot eco polluters!

First Asian carp found near Great Lakes

More bad news. The term "Asian Carp" is a bit misleading, though. ALL carp originally came from the East. They were deliberately introduced into the Mississippi River system, as a potential commercial food fish, in the 1800s. This species is certainly more dangerous to the Great Lakes, though. They will destroy the ecosystem. As in the Gulf, committees are meeting, studies commenced, alternatives considered, and palms greased. "Makes you want to holler, throw up both your hands..."
    Last edited by Bobl; June-24-10 at 04:55 PM.

Yes, our worst fears are coming to realization.

What is so pathetic about this situation is how it epitomizes the standard way of operating within our country. $$$ and votes come way, way before what is best for our country. It may have always been like this, but when national security and environmental gems were put in a dangerous spot, I would like to think that our leaders did what was necessary to understand and fix the problem.

The buraeucracy in our country needs to evolve for the better. Without that, we are not going in the right direction.

Recent detnews story on it: Asian carp pass barrier toward Great Lakes

The federal government failed us on this one. This is a tragedy. The one time where I would have appreciated federal help, they let us down.

Quote Originally Posted by fanniemae View Post
    The federal government failed us on this one. This is a tragedy. The one time where I would have appreciated federal help, they let us down.
    They have not only failed us now, but were instrumental in the insane decision to introduce these fish at fish farms and sewage treatment sites in the first place.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2