Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by jjaba View Post
    jjaba, sad any ways you look at it.
    ^ ^ ^
    Disgraceful and yet people believe that GM will sell more cars by closing MORE dealerships?

Whatever happened to that plan to open a 'super dealership' for all GM products somewhere in Detroit? That plan was floated back when GM bought RenCen. Home of General Motors and yet no big 'showcase' dealerships in the city. Seems the best way to browse GM's offerings in Detroit now is to wander around the RenCen and look at the cars displayed there.

Flint used to have a couple huge Buick dealerships, Lansing had large Olds dealerships, Pontiac had a big Pontiac dealership. Most of those dealers closed as GM 'downsized' and the towns were no longer as much 'home' to those brands. But the HQ is still in Detroit!

I know it isn't IN Detroit as much as surounded by Detroit, but Bill Snethkamp Chrysler is still around in Highland Park, isn't it?

If G.M wants you out, you're out. There's nothing you can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    I know it isn't IN Detroit as much as surounded by Detroit, but Bill Snethkamp Chrysler is still around in Highland Park, isn't it?
    Still there.
    Only the strong [[read influential) survive.
    Snethkamp dealers in Redford and Clarkston
    stand to benefit from nearby dealerships closing.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    If G.M wants you out, you're out. There's nothing you can do about it.

Appeal process.

We'll never know how/if tha appeal process is successful.
    Few dealers want their customers to know of an impending closure.
    If they wished, GM could require no public knowledge of the appeal should the appeal is successful.
    And how many dealers would want their customers to know they were 'almost' closed anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by econ expat View Post
    The Dalgleish building looks to be very old. If so, I doubt it was used for a streetcar barn.
    The word "was" was meant to imply before the current bldg was constructed, i.e. prior to 1922. There also was a Cadillac warehouse and garage that also was on the current bldg's footprint, so it was probably leveled in 1921 when the factory was closed.

More info on the area: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Ams...toric_District

This thread is more divisive city vs suburbs bullshit.

I'm wondering if this was a wire service report? The story showed up this morning on KOMO TV in Seattle.......

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    This thread is more divisive city vs suburbs bullshit.
    Care to point to a specific post that even REMOTELY confirms your assertion?

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    I'm wondering if this was a wire service report? The story showed up this morning on KOMO TV in Seattle.......
    ...and on Headline News. Same tag at the bottom, "only dealership in Detroit closes."

Park Motors.Lincoln /Mercury ,across from Palmer Park, was the first Mercury dealer[[1938). It use to be in the old Highland Park plant powerhouse showroom on Woodward. When they tore the powerhouse down, they moved out to the current location.
    My Father always bought his Mercury's from there starting with his 1939.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Question I have is what's going to happen to that building on Woodward, it's huge. Hopefully it won't get stripped out.

I heard through the grapevine that Cauley Chevrolet on Orchard Lake Road in Farmington Hills is closing too, at the first of next year. That information came from a good but not great source.

Audette Cadillac which is on the other side of the Ferrari dealer on Orchard Lake is already closed. When did it shut down?

Quote Originally Posted by econ expat View Post
    ^ ^ ^
    Disgraceful and yet people believe that GM will sell more cars by closing MORE dealerships?
    Nobody believes GM will sell more cars by closing dealerships.

What they believe is GM will reduce their over head so they make a profit on the cars sold. Making profit is far more important than the number of cars sold. GM had the number one market share, but were losing there asses because they weren't making money on the cars they were selling. They can actually make money and stay in business by selling fewer cars if they lower thier operating costs.

Does anyone have pics of these Cadillac dealers? Links? Please!

BUMP!

Due to misinformation!

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GRALR View Post
    Does anyone have pics of these Cadillac dealers? Links? Please!
    Dalgleish is here. Don Massey is here.

Here today,gone tomorrow.It seemed obvious to me that Massey[[formerly Dreisbach) Cadillac on Grand River was preparing to close last year.
    One sign of a dealer closing is a very sparse inventory, cars strategically spaced to make it appear the lot is fuller. By Christmas week, the few cars left outside were almost parallel parked across the front, there was only 7 cars. I walked through the showroom/ waiting room/ service department, it looked like a full staff still. There was 8 mechanic licenses on the wall, a few salesmen around, etc. Was relieved, and presumed the dealer was being thrifty with inventory costs.
    When I left town,New Year's Eve, I did not see ANY cars in that lot. OK, maybe they move em in for safekeeping?
    Curious, today I went to their website:

http://www.masseycadillacofdetroit.com/

As of today,merged with the Plymouth Don Massey dealership.
    Sad, in the home town of GM, there is no sales outlet for the premium brand,and one built in Detroit/Hamtramck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2